PDA

View Full Version : Taekwondo is useless for self defense

Pages : [1] 2

matutor
10/23/2015 3:25pm,
No resistance = no real technique. It's that simple.
"Martial" means having to do with or suitable for war.
And "art" means skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice. If you aren't learning something suitable for combat through repetition, you are learning how to dance and punch the air. Not apply techniques in a life or death situation. The community needs to be aware that pure taekwondo schools in our world today will not teach you the fundamental skills for self-defense and how to fight. Sure it may look good in movies, but in the ring, on the street, ect. It won't work. There may be some schools out there however, that offer taekwondo in addition to other martial arts. But a pure taekwondo school would not do that for you.

plasma
11/01/2015 12:22pm,
Thank you for such an insightful post. You truly must be an expert with such deep insight.

frenchie88
11/01/2015 12:47pm,
Where is DerAuslander when you need him?

plasma
11/01/2015 12:50pm,
Where is DerAuslander when you need him?

Running a successful Academy

The Villain
11/01/2015 1:00pm,
TKD has technical deficiencies that make it less practical than it could be, but they're not a no contact, no resistance art.

Raycetpfl
11/01/2015 1:12pm,
TKD has technical deficiencies that make it less practical than it could be, but they're not a no contact, no resistance art.

Anthony pettis is a fantastic example of what happens when you take a Tae Kwon do demo team member and teach him Muay thai,boxing and bjj.

Holy Moment
11/01/2015 1:14pm,
taekwondo is great art, it makes you a better PErsON as dwell as fighter. You ****** mmgay people need too learn how to repect other arts.

Bneterasedmynam
11/01/2015 3:21pm,
Anthony pettis is a fantastic example of what happens when you take a Tae Kwon do demo team member and teach him Muay thai,boxing and bjj.

Didn't Pettis also have some capoeira too, I seem to recall he did a capoeira kick in the cage. Also his matrix ko was awesome.

BJMills
11/01/2015 3:31pm,
No resistance = no real technique. It's that simple.
"Martial" means having to do with or suitable for war.
And "art" means skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice. If you aren't learning something suitable for combat through repetition, you are learning how to dance and punch the air. Not apply techniques in a life or death situation. The community needs to be aware that pure taekwondo schools in our world today will not teach you the fundamental skills for self-defense and how to fight. Sure it may look good in movies, but in the ring, on the street, ect. It won't work. There may be some schools out there however, that offer taekwondo in addition to other martial arts. But a pure taekwondo school would not do that for you.

No Holy Moment, I will not fall for your reverse psychology troll attempt.

I applaud the effort though.

plasma
11/01/2015 3:56pm,
No Holy Moment, I will not fall for your reverse psychology troll attempt.

I applaud the effort though.

Nope, Not Holy Moment, Matutor is posting from Clark College. Holy Moment is from New Jersey.

BJMills
11/01/2015 4:26pm,
Nope, Not Holy Moment, Matutor is posting from Clark College. Holy Moment is from New Jersey.

It's a conspiracy I tell you, a conspiracy!

mrtnira
11/01/2015 4:44pm,
https://youtu.be/6A6CTpq6vGU?t=627 This is an hour long program on the Pakistani Special Services Group, and it includes a demonstration by the hand-to-hand combat instructors. It is filled with Taekwondo, in addition to more traditional military self-defense. The demonstration includes very overt Taekwondo-style flying and leaping kicks to boards, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiyIbGKeB4 Pakistani Special Services Group demonstration team does Taekwondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkFBx6iqxPU From the Pakistani Army School of Physical Training. Not much overt Taekwondo, but it is buried in the unarmed combat demonstrated towards the end of the video.

So, while the average guy may not be much of a real self-defense technician with Taekwondo, if the training itself was absent of potential utility, it probably would not have become so embedded in Pakistani training. Maybe the question isn't about Taekwondo, but about the quality of instruction, seriousness of practice, and the natural ability of the person.

Holy Moment
11/01/2015 5:00pm,

How can you be sure that I'm not capable of bilocation?

BJMills
11/01/2015 5:37pm,
How can you be sure that I'm not capable of bilocation?

That's what I'm saying! It's some kind of Mr. Spock **** going on here!

matutor
11/01/2015 5:56pm,

How do you know my location?

judoka01
11/01/2015 6:43pm,
It's definitely not useless for self defense. It has holes like any other martial art. It has advantages and disadvantages. Its like saying Judo is useless because it doesn't teach you "how to fight," (your words not mine) but you can obviously take some throws and skills and use them in an MMA or self defense scenario. Same with TKD.