PDA

View Full Version : Ghost attempts karate

Pages : [1] 2 3

ghost55
10/11/2015 1:18am,
So I went to a semi-contact (this means light gloves and shin pads) kyokushin tournament. It went slightly less horribad than anticipated. You may have many questions such as "why are your hands down", and "how can you suck so much". My answer is that I have no idea. Your brain kinda shuts off once punches start flying. No matter how much you have sparred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9rD_i6Dhc
First fight I am in blue gear. I won this one. Not the cleanest of victories, but I'll take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZKgQ4IymE&feature=youtu.be
My second fight. This time in red gear. I am still gassed as **** from fight one, and this guy is one of my teammates. He is A LOT better than I am. And larger. Because I got bumped up to middleweight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDXojkZHr4&feature=youtu.be
My third fight for 3rd place after losing in the semifinals. Yeah I lost, but I felt more comfortable and technically stronger (at least in the beginning) of this fight than I did in the fight I won.

gregaquaman
10/11/2015 2:44am,
Yeah looks OK from a first fight.

Now the secret to winning,at the beginning a fight is determined by who throws more straight punches and cardio.

Permalost
10/11/2015 6:43am,
Why the color change? Loaner gear?

BackFistMonkey
10/11/2015 8:33am,
You just need more time with hands and feet in your face and liver. I saw more than a few moments when your technique looked good and you moved with purpose and confidence. All you need to do remember those moments and stretch them out over the whole match.

The sadist in my really enjoyed watching the first video. So much awkwardness and lack coordination, neither one of you really got into your grooves I bet there is a German word for "being embarrassed for someone else who is obviously not fulfilling their potential and having a bad time in a public sporting event".

All that said it looked like a blast.

As a side note:

**** you! Don't tell lies like

My answer is that I have no idea. Your brain kinda shuts off once punches start flying. No matter how much you have sparred.

What that actually means is

NO I HAVE NOT BEEN TRAINING PROPERLY !!! Otherwise my hands would be up.

but again ... what ever... you are a white belt doing white belt stuff. There is not a problem with that as long as next time you don't make the same mistakes.

W. Rabbit
10/11/2015 11:05am,
I bet there is a German word for "being embarrassed for someone else who is obviously not fulfilling their potential and having a bad time in a public sporting event".

Sportsfreundfremdschämen

BackFistMonkey
10/11/2015 11:52am,
Sportsfreundfremdschämen

The internet supports that ... to some degree anyway... I was surprised.

Nice.

ghost55
10/11/2015 12:14pm,
You just need more time with hands and feet in your face and liver. I saw more than a few moments when your technique looked good and you moved with purpose and confidence. All you need to do remember those moments and stretch them out over the whole match.

The sadist in my really enjoyed watching the first video. So much awkwardness and lack coordination, neither one of you really got into your grooves I bet there is a German word for "being embarrassed for someone else who is obviously not fulfilling their potential and having a bad time in a public sporting event".

All that said it looked like a blast.

As a side note:

**** you! Don't tell lies like

What that actually means is

but again ... what ever... you are a white belt doing white belt stuff. There is not a problem with that as long as next time you don't make the same mistakes.

Heh. I think all of the uncontested leg kicks that I threw were the real difference. Also, actual fights are a lot more exhausting than sparring. Those first two minutes took more out of me than six or seven rounds with the guys I normally train with ever has.

Hadzu
10/11/2015 12:19pm,
The internet supports that ... to some degree anyway... I was surprised.

Nice.

Keep in mind that in many Germanic languages you can combine words kind of willy-nilly, in a way that would be written as several separate words in English (or perhaps separated by a hyphen). For instance, I could ostensibly say that there's a Swedish word for "Grey Cat Nipple Box-Guitar", because it would be written as a single word ("Gråkattsbröstvårtelådgitarr"). Doesn't actually mean anything, but there you go.

Fun fact: The Swedish word for nipple literally translates to "breast wart". We're a bit gross that way.

Holy Moment
10/11/2015 12:45pm,
I see what you were trying to do by keeping your hands low, but you really should've just gone all the way and put them behind your back.

You could've Ra's Al Ghuled those motherfuckers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxIk6TVZVE

Evergrey
10/11/2015 12:46pm,
Heh. I think all of the uncontested leg kicks that I threw were the real difference. Also, actual fights are a lot more exhausting than sparring. Those first two minutes took more out of me than six or seven rounds with the guys I normally train with ever has.

YEEEEEEP. Whole different world. It's like you have a fatigue debuff.

BackFistMonkey
10/11/2015 1:39pm,
There were some nice leg kicks in there, some decent punch and kick combos, some good movement. Like I said you had moments in each video where you moved well, with purpose, and to positive effect.

Your last two opponents were very kind to you.
*edit*
Let it be known, I too would be getting kicked almost at will and moved around like a toy against those guys, in that rule set. It builds character and your buddies highlight vids.

ghost55
10/11/2015 1:44pm,
There were some nice leg kicks in there, some decent punch and kick combos, some good movement. Like I said you had moments in each video where you moved well, with purpose, and to positive effect.

Your last two opponents were very kind to you.

Second guy was a teammate. Third guy was incredibly pissed and wanted to kill me. He was just very, very tired.

BackFistMonkey
10/11/2015 1:50pm,
Second guy was a teammate. Third guy was incredibly pissed and wanted to kill me. He was just very, very tired.
He seemed to know his way around a headkick. I still think he was being nice... possibly in respect for the rule set.

ghost55
10/11/2015 2:08pm,
He seemed to know his way around a headkick. I still think he was being nice... possibly in respect for the rule set.

Ruleset was okay with knocking people out. He tried to full on knee me in the face at one point. Who knows. He may have not gone 100% and he may have been tired. In the end it doesn't really matter because he still kicked my ass.

BKR
10/12/2015 11:02am,
Nice work, keep training and keep competing. A lot of getting better at competition is competing, getting over/being able to control the stress/adrenaline/nerves etc. so you can express the technique you have. Unlike sparring, you can be dealing with the unknown (opponents you don't know) in competition.

ghost55
10/12/2015 11:07am,
Nice work, keep training and keep competing. A lot of getting better at competition is competing, getting over/being able to control the stress/adrenaline/nerves etc. so you can express the technique you have. Unlike sparring, you can be dealing with the unknown (opponents you don't know) in competition.

Yeah. After the first fight I was exhausted from holding my breath while flailing around. I did more damage to myself by not breathing right and smashing my shins into the other guys legs than he did to me (RIP his legs though). I felt far.more relaxed and focused by the time the third fight rolled around. There is something magical about throwing down with a complete stranger that has no issue with putting you in the hospital. I love this ****.