PDA

View Full Version : How fast can Black belt be achieved?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Just Started
9/09/2015 6:07pm,
I'm exploring BJJ schools and there professors to possibly join.

I came across one school/Professor and researched as best I could. As I was researching I noticed what seemed to be a very quick path to Black Belt.

2007 - video competing as a Blue Belt
2010 - IBJJF registration as a Purple Belt, podium finish
2011 - IBJJF registration as Brown Belt, podium finish
Between 2011 and 2013 starts to say he is a Black Belt.
2014 - receives 1st Black Belt Stripe

How possible is it for a person to be a Brown Belt for a year to two years?

Lets say this person received their Black Belt in 2012, is 2014 the appropriate time to receive their 1st stripe?

No record of IBJJF or any other BJJ competition as a Black Belt.

Please move if this post is in the wrong forum.

The Villain
9/09/2015 6:11pm,
Names? You can't do an investigation by speculation.

Hodr
9/09/2015 6:33pm,

I came across one school/Professor and researched as best I could. As I was researching I noticed what seemed to be a very quick path to Black Belt.

Lets say this person received their Black Belt in 2012, is 2014 the appropriate time to receive their 1st stripe?

Time line is fine if they are skilled.I think Bj Penn, Caio Terra and Maia are all around 3 year black belt world Champs but this is not the norm.
Brown is often just a pit stop belt. Purple and Blue are often the belts people are at for the logest.
Many Gracies use to do 2 years a degree for black belt degrees but now Black belt degrees take 3 years a piece up to coral belt I believe, and then it doubles for time between degrees.

Hodr
9/09/2015 6:42pm,
Over 7 years isn't a lightning path to Black. It's right about in the middle.

Just Started
9/09/2015 6:48pm,
Names? You can't do an investigation by speculation.

The information I posted is due to a quick search by the persons name. Posted what I seen and verified via confirming all sources used are indeed representing the same person. My point is the path to Black belt seemed very quick. To be honest, I guess it doesn't mater much as receiving their 1st stripe is confirmed via a photo with person doing promotion.

Time line is fine if they are skilled.I think Bj Penn, Caio Terra and Maia are all around 3 year black belt world Champs but this is not the norm.
Brown is often just a pit stop belt. Purple and Blue are often the belts people are at for the logest.
Many Gracies use to do 2 years a degree for black belt degrees but now Black belt degrees take 3 years a piece up to coral belt I believe, and then it doubles for time between degrees.

The names you listed are considered gifted athletes.

If the person that took the path represented, wouldn't you think there would be Black Belt information from tournaments. i would think at least one or two comps with IBJJF. They were registered with them as a purple and brown.

Don't want to post names and cause a storm just yet. A simple set of timing to black belt question. If the time line is not out of the norm, than no need to go further.

Just Started
9/09/2015 6:50pm,
7 years total from white to black?

or

7 years from blue to 1st stripe black?

Hodr
9/09/2015 7:20pm,

or

Yea.... 7 from blue to black is middle-fast is what i was thinking.
Ibjjf has a time requirement for their idea of the time required at each belt but it is not really the end all be all across the board. That time line meets their made up time requirements anyhoo. So we will call that the Gracie Barra time requirements.
Obviously there can be exceptional students that any time requirement is overlooked by the instructor.
Now I would doubt this dude is under Relson or Rickson. They will let straight up studs stay at belts for years!
Go train with him a few times. If you like his school stay. If you don't.... don't go back

The Villain
9/09/2015 7:31pm,
Reason I asked is because each person gets from point A to point B differently. Different affiliations, different skill levels, different instructors. So if you have a question about a guy or some guys, it makes sense to ask directly. Take Irvin. First glance, three year black seems suspicious. Second glance, you see Leo Dalla involved and figure it's legit. Look deeper and somehow 10k gets involved.

goodlun
9/09/2015 8:48pm,

or

Either really, 7 from white is a bit on the fast size but far from unheard of especially if they are winning.
That being said what specific IBJJF podium finishes does this guy have?
To echo what was said earlier Brown Belt seems to be a pit stop.

Hodr
9/09/2015 9:20pm,
Either really, 7 from white is a bit on the fast size but far from unheard of especially if they are winning.
That being said what specific IBJJF podium finishes does this guy have?
To echo what was said earlier Brown Belt seems to be a pit stop.

The 1st degree gets weird. You can't rush degrees. They are simply time in rank while continuing to train.
That's 2 years minum, three years is the generally accepted practice now. At three years that means going from blue ,purple ,brown ,black in four years. It really just depends. it's definitely not impossible.

Hodr
9/10/2015 7:20am,
The information I posted is due to a quick search by the persons name. Posted what I seen and verified via confirming all sources used are indeed representing the same person. My point is the path to Black belt seemed very quick. To be honest, I guess it doesn't mater much as receiving their 1st stripe is confirmed via a photo with person doing promotion.

The names you listed are considered gifted athletes.

If the person that took the path represented, wouldn't you think there would be Black Belt information from tournaments. i would think at least one or two comps with IBJJF. They were registered with them as a purple and brown.

Don't want to post names and cause a storm just yet. A simple set of timing to black belt question. If the time line is not out of the norm, than no need to go further.

Depends. My teacher quit competing when he opened a school because who would teach if he got hurt? He didn't have any higher belts that could teach if he got hurt at first. Now he's older and doest give a ****.

plasma
9/10/2015 8:21am,

IBJJF minimum is 2 years @ Purple and 1 year @ Brown. If this person is making the podium at IBJJF events that promotion timeline makes prefect sense.

It is Fake
9/10/2015 8:42am,

Please move if this post is in the wrong forum.Interesting? Let's say he received it in 2013-14 he'd be right in range as normal. 7-10, after much talking and such over the years is normal depending on the skill level and the school to me.

NeilG
9/10/2015 9:31am,
Why is this in MABS?

Just Started
9/10/2015 12:11pm,

Was able to narrow done the Brown to Black belt a little.

Claims Black belt status between the end of 2011 and mid 2012.

I have heard of Brown being a pit stop, but how often does this occur?

The Villain
9/10/2015 1:27pm,
It can not be determined if something inappropriate occurred with the information given. Maybe. Maybe not.