PDA

View Full Version : How can I not sandbag at naga?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ghost55
9/03/2015 4:51pm,
I want to do Naga Seattle, but I don't know which division to enter. I mean, I have been training long enough in some for or another to be borderline intermediate, but I absolutely still suck. I only competed once, and I just got destroyed. I feel like my skill level is around novice, but I don't want to underestimate myself and get people angry at me for sandbagging. What should I do?

BKR
9/03/2015 5:01pm,
I think you would be best to enter at novice, given your lack of tournament experience. You competed with a guy your one time who was way over your head.

I seriously doubt sandbagging will come up, and if it does, so what ?

As an example, no way in heck would I put you in a intermediate level in a Judo comp, given your same amount of experience and performance in Judo (hypothetical).

ghost55
9/03/2015 5:16pm,
I think you would be best to enter at novice, given your lack of tournament experience. You competed with a guy your one time who was way over your head.

I seriously doubt sandbagging will come up, and if it does, so what ?

As an example, no way in heck would I put you in a intermediate level in a Judo comp, given your same amount of experience and performance in Judo (hypothetical).

Okay. There is a beginner level as well, but my instructor's were telling me to enter Naga Germany at Novice during the spring. I guess I'll just do that. I'll probably get wrecked anyways.

Raycetpfl
9/03/2015 5:49pm,
I want to do Naga Seattle, but I don't know which division to enter. I mean, I have been training long enough in some for or another to be borderline intermediate, but I absolutely still suck. I only competed once, and I just got destroyed. I feel like my skill level is around novice, but I don't want to underestimate myself and get people angry at me for sandbagging. What should I do?

They give time requirements for each div. . Just be truthful. They are just stupid pieces of steel they give for winning. No need to compromise your integrity for one.

ghost55
9/03/2015 5:53pm,
They give time requirements for each div. . Just be truthful. They are just stupid pieces of steel they give for winning. No need to compromise your integrity for one.

The problem is that the amount of time I have been doing this is not indicative of my skill level since I suck, and I'm not going to have fun getting wrecked in 30 seconds again.

goodlun
9/03/2015 5:57pm,
You are a one stripe white belt with gaps in training I say go novice. You are not going to be sand bagging ****. Hell you have a hard enough time with ninjas

goodlun
9/03/2015 6:05pm,
I should note because naga uses "ranked" to track your previous tournaments you don't want to **** yourself over BT ending up in there database as something higher than you are. Example if you compete at this event at intermediate then try to compete at novice next time you will likely get flagged even if you get tapped out 5 secs in on the inter level

BKR
9/03/2015 6:06pm,
Okay. There is a beginner level as well, but my instructor's were telling me to enter Naga Germany at Novice during the spring. I guess I'll just do that. I'll probably get wrecked anyways.

OK, so I wouldn't call you a beginner, novice then seems about right. A beginner is somebody, to me, who has never competed.

Of course, you may well run up against other sandbaggers, but just keep competing and getting experience, that's what's important.

goodlun
9/03/2015 6:08pm,
After reading the rules more closely its a real toss up between beginner and novice for you

goodlun
9/03/2015 6:09pm,
OK, so I wouldn't call you a beginner, novice then seems about right. A beginner is somebody, to me, who has never competed.

Of course, you may well run up against other sandbaggers, but just keep competing and getting experience, that's what's important.
Naga goes novice than beginner

BKR
9/03/2015 6:12pm,
Naga goes novice than beginner

Whichever way it goes, he's barely into the second category, although I'd have to roll with him or watch him roll to be sure. Maybe novice would be better and OK, but if he wins a medal and posts video we will have to watch his head swell up and explode...

BKR
9/03/2015 6:14pm,
Is there any issue with different rules, as would regard safety, between the two divisions ? That is usually the main concern I have. In Judo you have the belt ranks/colors, and the novice division would usually be yellow and orange belts, considered novice.

goodlun
9/03/2015 6:22pm,
Is there any issue with different rules, as would regard safety, between the two divisions ? That is usually the main concern I have. In Judo you have the belt ranks/colors, and the novice division would usually be yellow and orange belts, considered novice.

Safety? He would probably be safer in beginner, as they have more control and mat sense

ghost55
9/03/2015 6:26pm,
Whichever way it goes, he's barely into the second category, although I'd have to roll with him or watch him roll to be sure. Maybe novice would be better and OK, but if he wins a medal and posts video we will have to watch his head swell up and explode...

That won't happen. I've always thought that medals below black belt/expert never meant very much because the people that win them are often ready to be promoted/go to the next level. Being the best white belt is like being the tallest dwarf: you are at the top of a ladder that no one give a **** about.

BKR
9/03/2015 6:27pm,
Safety? He would probably be safer in beginner, as they have more control and mat sense

Well, then, ghost, beginner. Spazzes are a PIA.

Holy Moment
9/03/2015 8:42pm,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC6F0-dEFfA

I say go for the Street division.