Eddie is turning into one of my favorite grapplers to watch and mimic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpJUEYePhpo

BKR
8/28/2015 10:34am,
Eddie is turning into one of my favorite grapplers to watch and mimic:

I don't know **** for leg locks, however, he demonstrates super solid fundamentals. How would you rate the level of his competition in those videos ? Is he so good he makes most of them look a bit...lost ?

Raycetpfl
8/28/2015 1:01pm,
I don't know **** for leg locks, however, he demonstrates super solid fundamentals. How would you rate the level of his competition in those videos ? Is he so good he makes most of them look a bit...lost ?

One of the dudes in 10th planet gear is Dennys poppaojspakoolos (sp?) Bravo's most accomplished student. He won nogi worlds.
I didn't see the match in the Video but he also beat Ruben Alverez by heel hook .it took about 45 seconds in the adcc qualifier in Miami a few months ago. Alverez is a Cyborg BB who beat Barret Yoshida to get to the final against eddie.
People March into Eddies guard like they think,"I will be passing soon." At this point I can't comprehend why people are trying to play an inside passing game against him. I would love to roll with him. He some how gets people to feel safe anf settle a bit and then completely unbalances them and grabs that heel and it's game over.

plasma
8/28/2015 1:39pm,

High to Top Level. 2 of those videos were super fights against Denny Prokopos and Nathan Orchard 10th planet black belts with solid competition records (Denny won EBI 2 against Nathan in the finals). Orchard in fact has a dangerous leg lock game himself (I have picked up a few things watching competition footage of him).

Cummings has been on a streak lately though, he won EBI 4 with all submissions and he won the ADCC Trials with all submissions The highest level competition for him though will be ADCC this weekend.

ChenPengFi
8/28/2015 2:53pm,
Interview here:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28/9221527/eddie-cummings-on-why-hes-a-scathing-indictment-of-how-jiu-jitsu

BKR
8/28/2015 4:28pm,
One of the dudes in 10th planet gear is Dennys poppaojspakoolos (sp?) Bravo's most accomplished student. He won nogi worlds.
I didn't see the match in the Video but he also beat Ruben Alverez by heel hook .it took about 45 seconds in the adcc qualifier in Miami a few months ago. Alverez is a Cyborg BB who beat Barret Yoshida to get to the final against eddie.
People March into Eddies guard like they think,"I will be passing soon." At this point I can't comprehend why people are trying to play an inside passing game against him. I would love to roll with him. He some how gets people to feel safe anf settle a bit and then completely unbalances them and grabs that heel and it's game over.

You point out why I was asking... his opponents seems kind of...gullible? Didn't see the danger of what was going on ?

That's not a criticism, just seemed odd to me that at that level such things would happen so "easily".

BKR
8/28/2015 4:30pm,
High to Top Level. 2 of those videos were super fights against Denny Prokopos and Nathan Orchard 10th planet black belts with solid competition records (Denny won EBI 2 against Nathan in the finals). Orchard in fact has a dangerous leg lock game himself (I have picked up a few things watching competition footage of him).

Cummings has been on a streak lately though, he won EBI 4 with all submissions and he won the ADCC Trials with all submissions The highest level competition for him though will be ADCC this weekend.

Thanks for the insight. It's easy for me to watch and notice things that in the heat of the moment are perhaps difficult to detect or deal with. I do know that from experience...

BKR
8/28/2015 4:44pm,
Interview here:
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/8/28/9221527/eddie-cummings-on-why-hes-a-scathing-indictment-of-how-jiu-jitsu

That's a great interview ! This is the part I though most enlightening.
"I could put on one of the old Gokor [Chivichyan] instructionals and even in that instructional you'll see every leg lock you can imagine, but the details are way off on a lot of them. The set-ups aren't there, there's no insight. He doesn't say, 'Look, here are the three or four key moves you should focus on for a coherent game.' That's really where the insight and innovation comes from. Not so much the vulgar technique itself, but the subtle details in how you set it up, how we control."

For all you guys out there who are so worried about the "technique" itself, you might want to think again. It's the stuff that leads up to the application that is really the most important.

I try to teach Judo that way, but it's almost backwards from how Judo is mostly taught, in North America at least. Too much focus on a catalog of techniques and not enough on how to get into position to do the technique. There is a balance to be had there, no doubt, and it's hard to find the sweet spot.

Last night, I was watching my boys play soccer in the u14 rec league (they are 10 and 12). I was thinking along the same lines, as I have done before, especially when I coached my younger son's team last season. All the coaches are out there doing skills drills: dribbling, some passing, some shooting. But the thing is, in the very limited time, the impact of that is minimal. The kids who go to soccer camps and play at home develop the ball handling skills (like my kids), and the ABCS. What is more important for when they start playing games is playing positions and teamwork (passing, moving, throw ins, corner kicks, etc). The important thing is to have fun, and winning is fun, or at least knowing you played a good game and not getting stomped. Nobody likes that, although it can be character building.

So I focused on teamwork, passing, and playing the position, not on dribbling/ball handling techniques. I designed simple drills to that effect. And it worked, the team got the idea of what to do and did it, not perfectly, but they sure as hell tried.

Anyway, everybody gets focused on the sub, the throw technique, which is important, but you gotta have the bits in between to make it come together to be effective. In my judo teaching, it makes for an odd thing, guys who are OK at technique static, but can move/grip/move throw/follow to ground way above what is expected.

BKR
8/28/2015 5:48pm,
I noticed that Cummings is using Japanese terminology...ashi garami position. Former judoka or is that term used somewhat in the no-g sub world ?

1point2
8/28/2015 5:57pm,
Japanese terminology is not common in the no-gi scene. Eddie's coach is John Danaher, who emphasizes Japanese terminology. I think that's nice for some things and totally, batshit bonkers for others. For instance, ain't nobody got time to say "ude garami" when we now have the more specific terms for Americana and Kimura.

plasma
8/29/2015 12:06am,
I noticed that Cummings is using Japanese terminology...ashi garami position. Former judoka or is that term used somewhat in the no-g sub world ?

The Renzo Gracie Lineage prefers the older Japanese terminology such as Ashi Gurami instead of 1 Leg X Guard. Personally, I tend to go back and forth depending on my mood and the audience.

Its becoming more common due to Cumming's success however in the BJJ world the common name is 1 Leg X as per Marcelo Gracia or Anaconda Guard as per Damian Mia.

Raycetpfl
8/29/2015 9:56pm,
You point out why I was asking... his opponents seems kind of...gullible? Didn't see the danger of what was going on ?

That's not a criticism, just seemed odd to me that at that level such things would happen so "easily".

I can say without a doubt I wouldn't attempt passing on the inside with him or anyone who exhibits his ability to finish from there. People are either completely under estimating him or over estimating themselves. Either way I dont really see the point in temping fate. I am sure he his great at forcing his game but everyone seems to be engaging him in the place of his choosing quite a bit as well. He may have 5,000,000 places he can submit at that level from but nobody is really make him show us.

The Cap
8/31/2015 5:04pm,
That entry of Eddie's to the 411 position reminds me of Reilly Bodycomb's standing scissors into the position.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j22DDn6Uw7orl-lxyjeJnFaEh1A=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3679980/denny.0.gif
Not Reilly

I like how that video picked apart the details that made it work from his back, like how he was threatening the sweep before throwing his knee in behind. Crucially, once he gets to that position, his opponent's knee is considered reaped, right?

BKR
8/31/2015 5:09pm,
That entry of Eddie's to the 411 position reminds me of Reilly Bodycomb's standing scissors into the position.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/j22DDn6Uw7orl-lxyjeJnFaEh1A=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3679980/denny.0.gif
Not Reilly

I like how that video picked apart the details that made it work from his back, like how he was threatening the sweep before throwing his knee in behind. Crucially, once he gets to that position, his opponent's knee is considered reaped, right?

That is amazing...

ghost55
8/31/2015 5:17pm,

Not Reilly

Reilly's DVDs are fucking awesome. I'm not happy that I had to miss the seminar he did in Oregon last weekend.

The Cap
8/31/2015 6:43pm,
That is amazing...

Reilly's DVDs are fucking awesome. I'm not happy that I had to miss the seminar he did in Oregon last weekend.

Right? Here he is teaching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1KTGg-IAo

And because I keep up to date with these things (*cough*), I googled "Cummings v. Bodycomb" and found out it is happening, and in a couple weeks at that!