PDA

View Full Version : Recording Kata

Cajun_Grappler
8/28/2015 4:44am,
Back when I was trying out TMA (got real boring real quick) I found an interesting feature: Some Karate styles will NOT let you record. I'm not talking about McDojo's not letting you record the instructor passing BS, I'm talking about legitimate, Traditional Okinawan styles. The old Masters in charge did not allow anything record, no moves, no Kata. Doing so could get one banned from their organization. Dafuq would you do that for? Do they think their kata is some special secret or something? Still makes no sense to me. That could be a wonderful teaching tool for your students, a good way to spread your art, what are these guys so scare of?

KoiKamsahamnida
8/28/2015 5:19pm,
That's weird, I haven't run into that. My school doesn't allow recording except at events and this is just for student privacy which I can understand. But I'd be a bit miffed if I could NEVER record my kid graduating and doing what she worked so hard on passing for months.

Evergrey
8/28/2015 5:50pm,
I dunno man. I guess they somehow think they are samurai lords and other schools are the enemy? Silliness.

ksennin
8/28/2015 6:17pm,
Back when I was trying out TMA (got real boring real quick) I found an interesting feature: Some Karate styles will NOT let you record. I'm not talking about McDojo's not letting you record the instructor passing BS, I'm talking about legitimate, Traditional Okinawan styles. The old Masters in charge did not allow anything record, no moves, no Kata. Doing so could get one banned from their organization. Dafuq would you do that for? Do they think their kata is some special secret or something? Still makes no sense to me. That could be a wonderful teaching tool for your students, a good way to spread your art, what are these guys so scare of?

Because most TMA are really very poor in real technical breadth, and even worse in practical application, a lot of store is put in the more advanced kata holding all the secrets you need to go to higher levels of awezomg-ness... Joking aside, I am not joking. People do think they need to get more advanced kata in order to expand their art, because reverse punches in all possible combinations kinda get old really fast. You need to master and perform more and more kata in order to get higher belt ranks, AND (here is the clincher) the important high rank people in the organizations, the shihans and grandmasters, have to be flown in and paid seminar fees in order to teach those advanced kata and sometimes even their esoteric bunkai or rigid application routines. I have seen people make a big deal of bringing in a great japanese master to have him teach two kata. My style, shito-ryu is one of the worst offenders in this area, as the founder was kind of a collector of kata and apparently brought in every form he found in other styles. I commented I recently saw a black belt testing in which the dan candidate had to do ELEVEN different kata. And there was no free sparring at all.

A couple decades ago, famous teacher Fumio Demura came to test two guys, and a tv crew was brought in to do a piece on the important karate master visiting our country. Since the tv people asked for some demos, the local teacher offered to perform an advanced kata and Demura Sensei quickly put the kibosh on that. He said that performing advanced kata for recordings meant they could be copied and distributed and people would use those recording to badly learn the kata on their own. So he said have instead a green belt perform a basic kata.

You can imagine how the karate community feels about kata in youtube.

ksennin
8/28/2015 6:27pm,
I dunno man. I guess they somehow think they are samurai lords and other schools are the enemy? Silliness.

Did you see the karate episode of the SAMURAI SPIRIT show hosted by Nicholas Pettas? The amount of self-deluded BS spouted regarding the art almost made me give up karate upon viewing.

Cajun_Grappler
8/28/2015 6:41pm,
A couple decades ago, famous teacher Fumio Demura came to test two guys, and a tv crew was brought in to do a piece on the important karate master visiting our country. Since the tv people asked for some demos, the local teacher offered to perform an advanced kata and Demura Sensei quickly put the kibosh on that. He said that performing advanced kata for recordings meant they could be copied and distributed and people would use those recording to badly learn the kata on their own. So he said have instead a green belt perform a basic kata.

Yeah, I figured it was crap like this. It's just ridiculousness. Do they think their kata reveals to secrets of the Dim Mak or proper technique for hadouken or something? Because if it did, I'd totally understand, this policy would actually make since, haha.

You can imagine how the karate community feels about kata in youtube.

Yeah, thats how the conversation started. I wanted to get past the "kick-punch-air" part and move into a Kyu with some throws or some **** (I had done Judo in the past, and beginner level Karate was mind numbing in comparison), so I told one of the guys helping me I'd youtube some kata over the weekend. Guy was nice enough, but told me I would never find anything because of the stupid rule. Complete bullshido.

Evergrey
8/30/2015 1:39am,
Did you see the karate episode of the SAMURAI SPIRIT show hosted by Nicholas Pettas? The amount of self-deluded BS spouted regarding the art almost made me give up karate upon viewing.

Really? No I didn't, but that is disappointing. What sort of stuff was said? Pettas is an accomplished Kyokushin fighter, I'm surprised.

goodlun
8/30/2015 2:45am,
Really? No I didn't, but that is disappointing. What sort of stuff was said? Pettas is an accomplished Kyokushin fighter, I'm surprised.

Its best for you to see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHJkfjmGRrs

ksennin
8/30/2015 11:39am,

To Pettas' credit you can see him look pretty skeptical most of the time. Of course, he was trained as an uchideshi in Japan for a long time, so showing respect and being deferent to higher ranks is pretty ingrained in him, but from the start, you see his bafflement at his Kyokushin comrade and former combat champion now turning his back on competition and now valuing kata over everything.

The worst part of the episode was when some teacher was recalling an anecdote of his old master being assaulted in his home and having had the moral fortitude to not fight back and thus avoid injuring his assailants so he only came out of it with multiple injuries and broken teeth, and how the teacher wished he could sometime show the same self discipline. Yeah, sure. Old man in rigid system is beaten up by multiple young assailants and it was a demonstration of his self control because his art=deadlizz, not because of the wisdom of not engaging in dangerous violence against unlikely odds because he would have risked even worse consequences. No, it was a showcase of how admirably the master could hold back his deadly knowledge.