PDA

View Full Version : Seminar Review with Caio Terra - 07.20.15

plasma
7/21/2015 4:07am,

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of taking a 3 hour seminar with BJJ world Champion Caio Terra. Overall, it was great seminar and I would recommend any one that has the opportunity to train with him to do so. What is unique about Caio was instead of coming in with 1 instruction plan, he came in with 4 and let the group choose what he was going to teach. The options were Back Attacks from Turtle, Spider Guard Passing, 50/50 Guard or De La Riva/Berimbolo. He iterated that the easiest (Back Attacks from Turtle) wasn't the worst and the hardest (De La Riva/Berimbolo) wasn't the best. Personally, I choose 50/50 Guard as that has been a staple of my game for years and I was hoping to see his take on the position. However, as expected DLR/Berimbolo got more votes and that is what we did for 3 hours in the uncharacteristically warm German Summer.

What is interesting about Caio's teaching style is that he doesn't sugar coat anything. If you are doing the technique anything less than 100% correct he will tell you that you are doing it wrong and you are not understanding it correctly. Additionally, he will often preface techniques by saying "This is hard" and implying we were weren't going to be able to do it, or at least not without far more drilling that would be possible at the seminar. For me that is ok, I took my notes, and spend hours drilling techniques on my own time. I rather get a catalog of techniques that I can drill on my own. Caio's details on complex techniques were amazing. His style is only to give you a few details at a time as not to overwhelm you, but once you get through the pieces, it's an effective teaching style. He went through multiple back attacks with and without the Berimbolo and multiple way to finish the Berimbolo. For me, the biggest benefit was the DLR Guard retention. As someone that doesn't use DLR to often because I often get it passed, those were concepts I can start using right away.

Finally, he rolled with a few of the Brown and Purple Belts, quickly submitting them, often in under 1-2 minutes. In fact, after hitting his DLR Ankle Lock for a 3rd time in 5 mins, he was like "Come on guys, I just did this!" Overall, I would definitely do a seminar with Caio Terra again.

ouchboy
7/27/2015 5:21am,
For me, the biggest benefit was the DLR Guard retention. As someone that doesn't use DLR to often because I often get it passed, those were concepts I can start using right away.

this picked my curiosity. Any examples you can point out? :)
Also, what part of Germany.. I'm in "the other white race" country.

plasma
7/27/2015 12:44pm,
this picked my curiosity. Any examples you can point out? :)
Also, what part of Germany.. I'm in "the other white race" country.

His empathized the free leg and how to place it, turn it and use it to attack.

The seminar was in Frankfurt.

Cake of Doom
7/28/2015 7:10am,
I'm impressed he turned up with a choice of subjects for you to vote on rather than a set menu, so to speak. That's quite refreshing to hear.