PDA

View Full Version : kodokan judo

Pages : [1] 2

JOHN DOE
5/13/2004 3:57pm,
This is for the judo guys. what ere the different styles of judo and what is the difference between them. there is a kodokan judo dojo a few miles from.Im going to check it out, just wanted some input before I go.

chaosexmachina
5/13/2004 4:01pm,
PUT A SPACE AFTER YOU TYPE A PERIOD OR COMMA!

Err.. I'm only familiar with two styles of judo, Kodokan and Kosen.

Djimbe
5/13/2004 4:16pm,
Joe Son Do ...

John A Butz
5/13/2004 4:24pm,
Judo is Judo - there aren't different "styles" of Judo.

Kosen Judo is more of a specialization then a seperate type of judo. And it is quite rare.

Acid The Great
5/13/2004 4:28pm,
yea i thought as much, our coach never mentioned anything about different styles of judo.

albert
5/13/2004 5:02pm,
Note that Kosen emphasizes grappling on the ground..

Djimbe
5/13/2004 5:10pm,
ANd Joe Son Do emphasises velveteen "cross"dressing .

mikus
5/13/2004 10:02pm,
All judo is kodokan judo. Kosen judo is a specialized type focusing on "newaza." I don't think you'll find it outside of a few universities in Japan.

Nihilanthic
5/14/2004 12:18am,
You will when someone who is a good groundfighter kicks their ass and they're willing to do more newaza :P

Colin
5/14/2004 12:25am,
The only really major significant differences in Judo schools in the west, is schools that are focused entirely on tournament rules (like my school) and those schools that look at Judo in the broader sense.

eg: As an ankle lock is not allowed in tournament Judo, we don't really spend any class time learning how to do them - we also don't do them during Randori.

Nihilanthic
5/14/2004 1:30am,
ANKLE locks are not allowed? I did that my first WEEK of BJJ.

I could understand twisting knee locks, but... damn thats a stupid rule.

Colin
5/14/2004 1:32am,
Yeah.. maybe.. I'm a sportsman - not a streetfighter.

Gezere
5/14/2004 2:00am,
Actually there ARE two arts called Judo.

Jikishin Judo and Kodokan Judo. The first is 400yrs older and is very rare to find it is not found outside of Japan.

All others are variants of Kodokan Juod. ie 'Olympic' judo is Kodokan Judo played under Olympic rules. Kosen Judo is Kodokan Judo that specilaized and newaza. Like the others said.

In a Kodokan School with a full cirriculum you will do ankle locks as well as striking.

Wounded Ronin
5/14/2004 2:11am,
Originally posted by Nihilanthic
ANKLE locks are not allowed? I did that my first WEEK of BJJ.

I could understand twisting knee locks, but... damn thats a stupid rule.

The issue isn't that ankle locks are easy to do. It's really just a safety rule.

Judo was never supposed to be a combat art but rather a sport that people could practice for exercise and to develop discipline. Therefore, a lot of things are illegal, like ankle locks or chokes against the neck using your own legs (except in a few circumstances).

It would be stupid if judo were about self-defense. But in that its not....

Gezere
5/14/2004 2:35am,
Therefore, a lot of things are illegal, like ankle locks or chokes against the neck using your own legs (except in a few circumstances).

Hadaka Jime:confused:

You are right that Judo was mainly intended for exercise and discipline but it did have a self defence aspect, hence the GOSHINJUTSU methods in the Kodokan.

Ronin
5/14/2004 7:09am,
Asia beat me to it !!!
There was/is a very old school called Judo, like Asia said.

The biggest difference in judo, you will find, are more from school to school in regards to teaching priority.
Some stress "olympic judo" because the are all for competition, while some stress"combat judo".