PDA

View Full Version : motor bikes. klr650 vs dr650

Pages : [1] 2

gregaquaman
7/01/2015 9:51am,
I want a bike for adventures and to escape the zombie apocalypse.

Both bikes do pretty much the samish job. And I am struggling to decide sort of.

I am leaning more towards the klr.

BKR
7/01/2015 11:43am,
Being such a short legged fucker, I'd probably not get either. I can't see much difference between the two, although the KLR looks a bit heavier. That may be the fairing set up though.

Do you plan to do more off road or on ? In that case, maybe the one that is better set up for the majority of your driving.

gregaquaman
7/01/2015 12:13pm,
Being such a short legged fucker, I'd probably not get either. I can't see much difference between the two, although the KLR looks a bit heavier. That may be the fairing set up though.

Do you plan to do more off road or on ? In that case, maybe the one that is better set up for the majority of your driving.

Yeah. Probably more on road than off. But I would like it to handle both.

slamdunc
7/01/2015 12:44pm,
I had a 2009 KLR 650 and loved it but ended up trading it in on a DRZ 400 SM. The only advantage I saw over the DR 650 was that the KLR is liquid cooled and therefore more durable.

BKR
7/01/2015 3:11pm,
I give up on being grown-up about this... just get the one that is the fastest !

ChenPengFi
7/01/2015 6:39pm,
I had a 2009 KLR 650 and loved it but ended up trading it in on a DRZ 400 SM. The only advantage I saw over the DR 650 was that the KLR is liquid cooled and therefore more durable.

Or conversley more complicated, more things to break/replace and more difficult to work on.

gregaquaman
7/01/2015 6:49pm,
Or conversley more complicated, more things to break/replace and more difficult to work on.

Yeah. I jumped on a bike forum that discussed them head to head. And that was a major division.

Also off road hitting rocks and stuff. Of course you can get a guard for them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134239

Got pretty funny by the end of it.

ChenPengFi
7/01/2015 7:28pm,
Haha, I was going to suggest looking there.
Stock wind protection is better on the KLR, so that's something to consider for you.

gregaquaman
7/02/2015 2:21am,
Haha, I was going to suggest looking there.
Stock wind protection is better on the KLR, so that's something to consider for you.

Yeah I read that and came away with both were better and you suck. No you do.

BKR
7/02/2015 11:30am,
Yeah I read that and came away with both were better and you suck. No you do.

Well, you should be used to that on bullshido.net, so no big deal !

ChenPengFi
7/02/2015 3:27pm,
Yes, in fact I think you should just build one of these Ducati Terra Mostro conversions instead, just to piss off motherfuckers like Tramirez.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-nUxGx1weI

The Cap
7/02/2015 3:29pm,
I want a bike for adventures and to escape the zombie apocalypse.

Both bikes do pretty much the samish job. And I am struggling to decide sort of.

I am leaning more towards the klr.

I took my father's klr 650 out on the road (highway and paved back road) last Monday. With just a single cylinder it vibrated like a ************ and actually left my hands tingling for a while after the ride. At 5'10" I was just okay to touch the ground, another half inch and I would have been on my toes. It's not as heavy as it seems, though. I know this because the spark plug's line came loose about a mile out on my way home and I ended up just pushing it the rest of the way. Uphill.

BKR
7/02/2015 6:45pm,
I took my father's klr 650 out on the road (highway and paved back road) last Monday. With just a single cylinder it vibrated like a ************ and actually left my hands tingling for a while after the ride. At 5'10" I was just okay to touch the ground, another half inch and I would have been on my toes. It's not as heavy as it seems, though. I know this because the spark plug's line came loose about a mile out on my way home and I ended up just pushing it the rest of the way. Uphill.

I just realized that what he needs is one of these...

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/_common/img/bikes/enduro/2014/r1200gs/racing_red/normal_36.jpg

Problem solved...

The Cap
7/02/2015 10:57pm,
I just realized that what he needs is one of these...

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/_common/img/bikes/enduro/2014/r1200gs/racing_red/normal_36.jpg

Problem solved...

I hear it's a lot harder to pick up than a dropped klr. I would hate to have stalled that last week.

Unless I'm confused; is that just the gs 800? I'm thinking of the 1100 and if this isn't it, it may be lighter.

BKR
7/06/2015 1:37pm,
I hear it's a lot harder to pick up than a dropped klr. I would hate to have stalled that last week.

Unless I'm confused; is that just the gs 800? I'm thinking of the 1100 and if this isn't it, it may be lighter.

That is an 1100, I believe... I saw a GS 800 inu the parking lot of the grocery store last night. It was water cooled. The one in the photo I posted is the traditional horizontally opposed boxer twin. Which is what I would want, as they are much lighter.
http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/_common/img/bikes/enduro/2014/f800gs_adventure/kalamata_metallic_matt/normal_36.jpg

I am too small to pick any of them up, even when I was a lot younger and stronger. One reason I never got a big bike of any sort to ride.

I had had my sights wet on a smaller (street) Beemer for a long time, but never got one. They are light enough I can handle them safely. Like this:
http://www.njuskalo.hr/image-bigger/cestovni-motori/bmw-r-65-650-cm3-slika-36930702.jpg

The boxer twins are a pretty light, relatively speaking.

I see BMW makes a single-thumper on/off road bike as well. I bet it's a lot smoother than a KLR...

yeah, here ya go...
"The G 650 GS is robust, powerful and yet still extremely light, weighing just 430 lbs (195 kg) with a full tank. With its low fuel consumption and simple handling, it is not just ideal for beginning motorcyclists. Its slim, athletic stature in a youthful and typically adventure-style design stands for uncomplicated riding pleasure and pure fun."

The Cap
7/08/2015 1:03am,
yeah, here ya go...
"The G 650 GS is robust, powerful and yet still extremely light, weighing just 430 lbs (195 kg) with a full tank. With its low fuel consumption and simple handling, it is not just ideal for beginning motorcyclists. Its slim, athletic stature in a youthful and typically adventure-style design stands for uncomplicated riding pleasure and pure fun."

That sounds pretty nice. Does that smaller size sacrifice gas tank or size at the back for suitcases? If distance adventure riding is a goal that might be something else to consider. No doubt it's smoother than the klr though!