PDA

View Full Version : Biting Your Way Out of a Submission

Pages : [1] 2

The Cap
6/28/2015 12:13am,
http://i.imgur.com/SwqJerr.jpg?1

I'm of the opinion that that move only worked for Tyson because he had the dominant position. Here's a quick experiment that seems to support this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5oqD_t6ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbv9m4DFu4w

3moose1
6/28/2015 1:29am,
Hard to bite down when you're screaming from a broken arm.

Also, Mark Tripp covered this at a seminar...forever ago. Opening the mouth during a RNC is basically asking for a broken jaw

ghost55
6/28/2015 2:37am,
I've probably told the story about the ninja biting my leg to escape an armbar at least twice here.

The Cap
6/28/2015 6:38am,
I've probably told the story about the ninja biting my leg to escape an armbar at least twice here.

Well you're telling it again!

bombom
6/28/2015 12:06pm,
Hard to bite down when you're screaming from a broken arm.

True dat. It is something that the chunners, kravvies and ninjers don't understand. Submissions are not really submissions. Just like a good throw or a good punch, they are fight enders. If a good grappler gets a submission on someone in a street fight, their opponent is done rather quickly. They are either going out from a choke, or going to the hospital to fix something that got broken. They won't have time to bite their way out, even if they could.

bombom
6/28/2015 12:12pm,
I have heard some people say, both online and in person, that they would bite their way out of a triangle.

I am not a martial artist, simply a casual fan of combat sports. Don't really know how to grapple. So, grapplers please correct me if I am wrong. You can't bite your way out of a triangle choke, as your own arm is across your face in a properly applied triangle.

goodlun
6/28/2015 1:06pm,
I have heard some people say, both online and in person, that they would bite their way out of a triangle.

I am not a martial artist, simply a casual fan of combat sports. Don't really know how to grapple. So, grapplers please correct me if I am wrong. You can't bite your way out of a triangle choke, as your own arm is across your face in a properly applied triangle.

I don't even know if I could fucking open my mouth during a good triangle but the arm is more across your neck and chin than say the face.
Lets put it this way if you have the room to move your head around to even try and bite someones leg then your not in a proper triangle.
To make any submission work you need to isolate and control.
So in the case of chokes the head is isolated and controlled your not going to be able to move it around enough to bite ****.

bombom
6/28/2015 2:03pm,
I don't even know if I could fucking open my mouth during a good triangle but the arm is more across your neck and chin than say the face.
Lets put it this way if you have the room to move your head around to even try and bite someones leg then your not in a proper triangle.
To make any submission work you need to isolate and control.
So in the case of chokes the head is isolated and controlled your not going to be able to move it around enough to bite ****.

Thanks for the reply. Apparently, it is even worse than I thought.

I think that, if someone was thiking about it, it might be possible to put a good bite on someone while a hold is being set up. However, experienced grapplers have been through the wringer an awful lot, and are used to pain. Biting them is just gonna piss them off.

There is some biting in fights, but it seems to be more of an offensive than defensive thing, done by people who are rather sick in the head.

gregaquaman
6/28/2015 4:33pm,
It is going to work if all the other elements of the escape is present.

So,I don't know. They hit an arm bar, I stack and get control of their head. Now we are both fighting for position and I can find something to munch on. Then it costs me nothing to do it..

Just like all the other grinding elements that you would be doing anyway.

gregaquaman
6/28/2015 4:40pm,

The biggest issue with a triangle is that you are generally trying to get your head up to defend it. Biting under any circumstance I can visualize in my lounge room puts you deeper into the submission.

RynoGreene
6/29/2015 2:52pm,
After a drunken argument with my brother several years ago, we put this all to rest. He insisted, in a grapple, he'd do what his *ing **un instructor had always encouraged, and just "go crazy." Scratch, bite, eye gouge, etc.

So we went at it, dirty stuff legal without trying to maim each other too badly. There is almost no way to bite out of a choke. Jaw cranks suck, just as was demonstrated in the video above. Simple crossfacing from side control usually stopped biting from that position. In a tight closed guard, top guy could bite with posture broken, but guard player could bite better due to control of the hips and posture.

Eye gouging was a concern. Even from a crap position, my brother often could get at my eyes. (scratched the hell out of my eyelids, skabs really suck there) But with that said, with a better position, I could do even worse crap to him.

This was the consistent result. With a better position, you could better use any dirty tricks. In a poor position, you could maybe do a little, but not enough to end fight.

Oh, and people can't do crap against a straight ankle lock if they aren't familiar with the position.

Holy Moment
6/29/2015 5:14pm,
What about biting your way out of a strike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYXTkkuulVc

Permalost
6/29/2015 6:50pm,
It is going to work if all the other elements of the escape is present.

So,I don't know. They hit an arm bar, I stack and get control of their head. Now we are both fighting for position and I can find something to munch on. Then it costs me nothing to do it..

Just like all the other grinding elements that you would be doing anyway.

In the bite-your-way-out-of-grappling vids, they never stack the opponent, they always just bite them and they magically let go.

goodlun
6/29/2015 7:37pm,
I have a feeling that if I am ever armbaring someone that is going to bite me, I will most likely not feel the bite.
You know the same way a lot of people don't even know that they got stabbed.

vaquero de las nalgas
6/29/2015 8:54pm,
http://i.imgur.com/SwqJerr.jpg?1

I'm of the opinion that that move only worked for Tyson because he had the dominant position. Here's a quick experiment that seems to support this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK5oqD_t6ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbv9m4DFu4w

I'm thinking it worked because boxing has rules that Tyson flagrantly violated. Call me crazy.

Bneterasedmynam
6/29/2015 9:01pm,
It's seems to me that trying to bite out of a RNC type choke would end as broken teeth. But with bites it's all about location, let's say clinch and chomp the neck. There are places that I definitely would not want to be bit.