PDA

View Full Version : Different double leg techniques?

Lao Tse
5/26/2015 11:58pm,
Hi everyone,

I've come across several ways of doing double leg takedowns. One involves dropping down on a knee prior to hitting with the shoulder (wrestling style). I avoid this because I want my techniques to be street applicable, and I'd be afraid of trying this on concrete.

However, I've seen two other approaches, and I'm not sure which is better/worse, or what their relative advantages are:

The first involves striking with the shoulder, then moving in the rear leg and picking the opponent up. Once he's draped over your shoulder, you swing his feet to one side, and push with your head to toss him onto the ground. You end up in side control.

The second involves striking with the shoulder and driving through the opponent's body, which pushes him straight onto his back. You then use a hand/knee to pin down his leg and slip from half-guard into either mount or side control.

Can anyone speak to the relative effectiveness of these two techniques, which you prefer, and if they have separate use?

Thanks!!

gregaquaman
5/27/2015 9:43pm,
We tend to not really drive with the shoulder more called a penetration step. Hook the leg support the knee and drive sideways. Keeping contact with the support leg so you pass into did control.

But we are also now clapping behind the front leg almost like a single so you cant even think of sprawling.

From start to finish we just run through them.

ChenPengFi
5/27/2015 9:49pm,
I have more luck not picking them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ptyCRRDjIs

goodlun
5/27/2015 10:56pm,
Hi everyone,

I've come across several ways of doing double leg takedowns. One involves dropping down on a knee prior to hitting with the shoulder (wrestling style). I avoid this because I want my techniques to be street applicable

Your not really banging your knee on the ground hard and this can be done on concrete.
It may not be the most pleasant thing ever but it works and it works well.
But if your fighting in the street this is the least of your worries.

goodlun
5/27/2015 11:03pm,
I should note you can change levels and do the "wrestling style" double leg without the knee actually hitting the ground, typically in a "street fight" the guy won't be in such a low stance that your level change has to be as dramatic.

PointyShinyBurn
5/28/2015 3:37am,
One isn't better or worse than the other, they're appropriate to different reactions from your opponent.

If I shoot, hitting him hard with my shoulder, and he doubles over then it's easier to pick him up, if he stands straight up like a scarecrow it's going to be easier to run him over backwards.

wingchunx2z
5/29/2015 8:21pm,
I'll add this to the mix. Recently I've found that rather than shooting in and under the opponent, I've had alot of success with boxing my way in or parrying jabs until they throw a big straight or hook and then slipping off at an angle to get point blank then just going straight to the driving flare finish.

Instead of shooting to cross the distance you just use your slip or punches to get close enough and then just grab and drive.

RynoGreene
6/01/2015 2:58pm,
An arm drag will allow you the same kind of slip/angle change that you mention. A bunch of variations here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBrnVxpW7w

ChenPengFi
6/01/2015 3:18pm,
One isn't better or worse than the other, they're appropriate to different reactions from your opponent.

If I shoot, hitting him hard with my shoulder, and he doubles over then it's easier to pick him up, if he stands straight up like a scarecrow it's going to be easier to run him over backwards.

Never sideways?

speedycerviche
6/09/2015 2:05pm,
One thing to keep in mind for "self-defence" is how easy will number one be on a bigger person? I personally hate it because it never seems to work on big people. I personally prefer "cutting the knee", "hooking the leg" or "taking the back" from the circumstance which number one is used.

wingchunx2z
6/09/2015 3:08pm,
One thing to keep in mind for "self-defence" is how easy will number one be on a bigger person? I personally hate it because it never seems to work on big people. I personally prefer "cutting the knee", "hooking the leg" or "taking the back" from the circumstance which number one is used.

I mainly shoot singles and use trips on bigger guys. Double legs kinda have a size limit built into them.

jnp
6/09/2015 4:25pm,
I mainly shoot singles and use trips on bigger guys. Double legs kinda have a size limit built into them.
The general exception to this is the double leg trip where you hook your leg behind theirs, PROVIDED, you shoot through them such that they're staggering backward when you execute the technique.

The mistake I see most often when people try to shoot doubles is the lack of proper penetration. Unless you're a NCAA collegiate wrestler, if you're not stepping in between their feet when you take the shot, you're probably going to get stuffed if they know how to sprawl.