PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Tabor vs Gordon Ryan - AGL Gi Absolute

Pages : [1] 2

plasma
5/17/2015 12:12pm,
This came up in my Facebook feed today and I thought the match was interesting. Firstly, because Jordan posts on Bullshido and hopefully he sees this thread and can give us a commentary (those are always awesome). And secondly, as I share some aspects on my competition game with Jordan and I thought it was a good example of someone guarding the space underneath them very jealously. I have run into people in the past that do the same thing, especially after they figure out your speciality are leg attacks (there are only so many ankle locks you can throw without giving away your secret).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HNcZrRgY4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HNcZrRgY4A

From my point of view this is what I saw:

0:04 - Jordan pulls Butterfly guard and Gordon immediately steps between the legs
0:05 - Gordon loads his weight on the front leg and pressures with the knee
0:07 - Jordan controls the Foot in a modified Reverse De La Riva
0:10 - Jordan tries to elevate Gordon but Gordon counters but driving his knee out to the side folding Jordan’s legs
0:13 - As Gordon tries to untangle his legs, Jordan moves cross body to try to attack the far leg
0:14 - Gordon keeps heavy killing Jordan’s transition and hides the leg under his weight
0:24 - Gordon works his leg in blocking Jordan from working Half Buttery Guard
0:29 - Gordon comes back to the middle and Jordan is now working Reverse De La Riva on the other leg
0:31 - Gordon uses the same folding pass against Jordan’s Reverse De La Riva (RDLR) as he did before
0:45 - Gordon eventually cuts through Jordan’s Quarter Guard as Jordan trying to use an undertook to come up on Gordon’s back
0:46 - Gordon counters by shifting his weight to pin Jordan back to the mat
0:48 - Jordan tries to elevate Gordon with his Butterfly hook but back to RDLR
1:03 - Same pass sequence from Gordon blocking Jordan from establishing Half Butterfly
1:12 - Gordon is pinning Jordan’s shoulders and foot fighting to free his legs
1:14 - Jordan establishes Full Guard
1:17 - Gordon stands in the Full Guard and then sits uses his feet to control Jordan’s hips
1:24 - Jordan unlocks his Guard, for some Double Guard Play
1:36 - Nothing much from Double Guard and Gordon stands back up
1:37 - Gordon tries to move into a twisted mount positions hooking Jordan’s top leg
1:42 - Jordan is trying to untwist his body by moving to turtle and looking to control the far leg
1:44 - Gordon uses this to take Jordan’s back
1:48 - Gordon gets 1 Hook
1:50 - Gordon gets the 2nd Hook
1:58 - Gordon shifts for a Bow and Arrow Choke
2:04 - Gordon locks in a Bow and Arrow Choke
2:13 - Jordan taps to the Choke

Overall it was a good match. Thanks Guys. I wonder what was the ruleset. Was Reaping and Heel Hooks allowed or was it IBJJF?

ghost55
5/17/2015 4:15pm,
That has got to be the slowest, shittiest guard pull I have ever seen. Good grief.

goodlun
5/17/2015 4:26pm,
I wonder what was the ruleset. Was Reaping and Heel Hooks allowed or was it IBJJF?

Here is the ruleset
http://amateurgrappling.com/rulesregs.html

plasma
5/18/2015 2:51am,
That has got to be the slowest, shittiest guard pull I have ever seen. Good grief.

Love the white belt critiquing the Black Belt's guard pull.

That slow butterfly guard pull baits the opponent to step over into for mount and as soon as he does the legs snatch up for a 1LX or Knee Reaping Guard.

ghost55
5/18/2015 9:35am,

That slow butterfly guard pull baits the opponent to step over into for mount and as soon as he does the legs snatch up for a 1LX or Knee Reaping Guard.

It just looks so passive.

plasma
5/18/2015 12:09pm,

My guard pull is a lot more aggressive but there are a lot of video of Jordan's passive guard turning into a heel hook in less than 30 seconds.

goodlun
5/18/2015 2:15pm,

So what?
The guy still stepped into his butterfly guard.
Mission accomplished(at least for pulling guard).

BKR
5/18/2015 6:14pm,

Baiting people into mistakes is not really white belt fodder, as you have to be able to modify what you do on the fly...plus, you have to figure out if your " bait" is really getting taken or not. Openings are often pretty subtle, but can be traps as well.

BKR
5/18/2015 6:25pm,
Nice match for sure.

Twisted guard ? Bear with me here, it looked to me like Gordon managed to get go from the "double guard" to get his left leg free, using both hand to control Jordan's right leg.

I would say that is excellent application of a basic principle (controlling the leg/s) to pass the legs. Is "twisted mount" that sort of half-passed position ?

Jordan felt like he needed to turn away, then Gordon executed what I all a "double lapel roll" (I teach it in Judo to attack turtle), and got the "bow and arrow choke", what I'd call a form of katate jime.

Nice work for sure from both of them !

goodlun
5/18/2015 7:00pm,

It seems that this has been his game plan for a long time and their is a lot of video of him doing it.
Leg locks just are not getting the mileage they once did.
They are certainly not rare anymore.
Just to put some emphasis on that a bit more
here is a Gracie Academy
https://scontent-4.22773.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/10955436_10153223920185908_2307477487088669925_n.j pg?oh=0edef7c23b29eaf34934b31d0bcdda08&oe=55B73AFC

Teaching leg locks to beginner belt children.

I wouldn't be so bold to tell him to scrape his game plan but its seems time to
have a back up plan for when his main plan is just not panning out.

plasma
5/19/2015 3:56am,
Nice match for sure.

Twisted guard ? Bear with me here, it looked to me like Gordon managed to get go from the "double guard" to get his left leg free, using both hand to control Jordan's right leg.

I would say that is excellent application of a basic principle (controlling the leg/s) to pass the legs. Is "twisted mount" that sort of half-passed position ?

Jordan felt like he needed to turn away, then Gordon executed what I all a "double lapel roll" (I teach it in Judo to attack turtle), and got the "bow and arrow choke", what I'd call a form of katate jime.

Nice work for sure from both of them !

Twisted Mount:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vqrUtC9C8W4/maxresdefault.jpg

plasma
5/19/2015 3:59am,
It seems that this has been his game plan for a long time and their is a lot of video of him doing it.
Leg locks just are not getting the mileage they once did.
They are certainly not rare anymore.
Just to put some emphasis on that a bit more
here is a Gracie Academy
https://scontent-4.22773.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/p180x540/10955436_10153223920185908_2307477487088669925_n.j pg?oh=0edef7c23b29eaf34934b31d0bcdda08&oe=55B73AFC

Teaching leg locks to beginner belt children.

I wouldn't be so bold to tell him to scrape his game plan but its seems time to
have a back up plan for when his main plan is just not panning out.

That is true, I used to live and die by grip fighting for the cross grip (thank you Judo!) and throwing myself into 1LX. Once I got there I could win >90% of my matches. Lately though just getting there isn't the slam dunk it used to be in fact people dropping to their knees to stuff you at the butterfly is becoming more common not to mention the advent of things like the long step pass.

Leg Locks went from the great equalizer to just another tool in the game.

BKR
5/19/2015 12:06pm,
Twisted Mount:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vqrUtC9C8W4/maxresdefault.jpg

OK, I've ended up there. You control the guys leg and upper body to pass. And yeah, twisted mount, not guard, LOL...I thought I had fixed that misnomer on my part.

There is a kind of turn we use in Judo, to turn a guy who is pancaked out on you (flat out face down defending) that passes through a similar position.

The Villain
5/25/2015 9:24pm,
I'll address the technical break down. Way I see it, I played butterfly half against knee cut, then played butterfly half into scissor out. Then I play scissor out into rolling knee bar. He'd established a collar grip when I transitioned to scissor out, which he then exploited to ride with the rolling knee bar and escape and counter.

goodlun
5/25/2015 10:23pm,
I'll address the technical break down. Way I see it, I played butterfly half against knee cut, then played butterfly half into scissor out. Then I play scissor out into rolling knee bar. He'd established a collar grip when I transitioned to scissor out, which he then exploited to ride with the rolling knee bar and escape and counter.

In retrospect what should you have done after he got that collar grip?

The Villain
5/26/2015 5:08am,
In retrospect what should you have done after he got that collar grip?

I should never have been there. Scissor out was the wrong response to his heavy cut pass game. I should've reset and initiated on my own terms.