PDA

View Full Version : Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: A white belt again

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Omega Supreme
4/29/2015 2:06pm,
I decided to try out another school a few cities over. I figured it would be nice to be a student again instead of an instructor. I've done this before when travelling but I thought I would do something a bit more formal (In other words I'm there to take a class not come in for some rolling). Last week I went to set up an appointment.

They asked me if I had any experience.

I said yes.

They asked me how long have I been training.

I said 37 years.

They asked in what.

I said I started in Judo.

They asked me if I had experience in Jiu Jitsu.

I said yes.

They asked me how long.

I said 22 years.

They asked why I wanted to come train.

I said change of scenery.

They said it should be okay for you to go into the advanced grappling class.

At this point a few of the MMA fighters came out from the back to say hi to me.

I went back to the desk and told them I'd be back next week. Then I asked them what belt they would like me to wear. They told me white belt. I said fine. Then, I can only assume they thought I was offended, they started making excuses why I needed to wear a white belt. I told them I'm fine with it I just don't want anybody thinking I was sandbagging.

So the next week rolls around and I bring one of my guys to work out with the MMA class while I go roll in the Jiu Jitsu class. They come out and greet me and hand me one of their gis. I put it on with the white belt and come out of the locker room. They immediately tell me I need to wear a shirt underneath the gi and then bow onto the floor. I run back in and grab my shirt and run onto the floor and jump into the warm ups.

So throughout the class I got to work with several different ranks (mostly white belts which I found unusual for a advanced class). The humorous part about most of the class was when I worked with most of the blues and one purple they could tell I wasn't a white belt. I get to the white belt and they felt it was their place to give me instruction.

When we went into free rolling I got teamed up with this lanky blue belt who attempted every "new" Jiu Jitsu maneuver on me including the worm guard. Soon after I decided to call it a night and then my student came out. The instructor asked him what rank he was. I stood there in disbelief. You ask what his rank is but you didn't ask mine? So he said purple belt and he got matched up immediately with the other purple belt. I smiled and walked away. The manager asked me if I knew that guy since we came from the same school. I said yes, I was his instructor...

It was a very interesting experience. I may go back next week.

BJMills
4/29/2015 2:16pm,
Did you feel like you got anything useful out of the training?

Omega Supreme
4/29/2015 2:31pm,
Did you feel like you got anything useful out of the training?

Not really. Most of it wasn't something I didn't already know, just somethings I never thought about teaching, if that makes any sense.

goodlun
4/29/2015 2:34pm,
Do you have an official BJJ ranK?

Mr. Machette
4/29/2015 2:36pm,
double posting weirdness please disregard

BJMills
4/29/2015 2:39pm,
It does actually.

Sometimes I like to look at different people's curriculums to see how they organize material even, and maybe especially, if it's material I already know.

Mr. Machette
4/29/2015 2:39pm,
You sandbagging the All Valley Karate tournament again?
I just want you to know I fully support this endeavor and will offer to film.
"Get him a body bag! Yeeeaaaahhh!"

Omega Supreme
4/29/2015 2:42pm,
Do you have an official BJJ ranK?

Did you see that article about Josh Barnett getting his black belt? I'm basically in the same situation.

goodlun
4/29/2015 2:49pm,
Did you see that article about Josh Barnett getting his black belt? I'm basically in the same situation.

I am actually the one that shared that with you.

Locu5
4/29/2015 3:17pm,
I await your white belt tournament videos. May we request submissions?

goodlun
4/29/2015 3:23pm,
A better question is do your guys ever compete in IBJFF tournaments and do you award BJJ ranks so that they can compete at the right level?

Ming Loyalist
4/29/2015 3:44pm,
do you think you're being a bit mean not putting all your experience out there? i mean, they didn't ask (specifically) for details of your background, but how would you feel if the roles were reversed? some guy who seems to have a ton of experience shows up at your school to take class?

i haven't formed an opinion on this either way, really, just pondering, as i have been both the visitor and host to situations like this in the past. i'm usually really open about what i have trained, with who and for how long, but it has not turned out to have been in my best interest to do so a few times, and my sifu was always guilty of downplaying his experience when he went to train at new places "oh i've done some kickboxing" - what a sandbagging dick! but maybe he was right to do that?

BackFistMonkey
4/29/2015 3:50pm,
You cannot be guilty of sandbagging in the class setting. Competition ... yeah that is rude. But in a class ... I don't see how it is even a accusation. Things should sort themselves out in a very short time.

Ming Loyalist
4/29/2015 4:17pm,
You cannot be guilty of sandbagging in the class setting. Competition ... yeah that is rude. But in a class ... I don't see how it is even a accusation. Things should sort themselves out in a very short time.

sandbagging is the wrong term, but i think you know exactly what i'm talking about though. i think the instructors should probably have asked more questions, but putting omega in a white belt in a BJJ school is ripe for wrong assumptions and comedy gold similar to what belcher had vamos do to his class here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_26gVAXCg

i'm just asking if it's *mean*

goodlun
4/29/2015 4:32pm,
i'm just asking if it's *mean*

I don't think so, its actually a pretty good lesson to not put to much emphasis on the belt around someones waist.
Pay attention to what they are doing how their base is the way they move, ect ect.

BKR
4/29/2015 5:05pm,
I think the onus is on the "hosts" to ask questions about who shows up at their school to train. They are responsible for safety and appropriate training. Whoever shows up should be honest about their background, experience, etc.

I go to BJJ classes in a town about 35 minutes away. When I first showed up, I got asked the appropriate questions. I did not walk in stating I was a black belt in Judo with 30+ years of experience, that I had competed most of those year,etc. etc.

I had a white belt in my bag and I intended to wear it...I didn't even have my black belt in my kit.

It's nice to not be instructing/in charge. Really, really nice...