PDA

View Full Version : Systema or Combat Sambo for beginners

Big Dav
4/23/2015 1:02am,
I would like to learn a well rounded martial art for self defence and I have heard good things about systema and sambo. Hopefully I will be able to learn both, but which one would be good to learn first for a beginner to martial arts?

lionknight
4/23/2015 10:39am,
SAMBO is for real men.

jnp
4/23/2015 11:37am,
Welcone to Bullshido.

Systema has a very poor reputation among martial artists that participate in combat sport competitions. Conversely, SOMBO has an excellent one and has repeatedly proved itself in and outside of the sport combat environment.

ermghoti
4/23/2015 11:39am,
I would like to learn a well rounded martial art for self defence and I have heard good things about systema and sambo. Hopefully I will be able to learn both, but which one would be good to learn first for a beginner to martial arts?

Stop listening to the people that have told you good things about Systema.

Permalost
4/23/2015 11:51am,
Choose SAMBO. Even among people who say systema is good (and a lot of it isn't), its considered to supplement a background of conventional martial arts. In a fight between a SAMBO guy and a systema guy, I'd bet on the former every time.

goodlun
4/23/2015 12:08pm,
I hope you are noticing this trend of
SAMBO is a great martial art.
Systema not so much.

Here is why you see that.
SAMBO has a quality control system put into place.
That quality control element is the sporting element of the art.
This means they have to use their skills against other talented people that are offering up real resistance. The fact that SAMBO has been used successfully across a spectrum of martial arts in different martial sports shows you its effectiveness.
Don't get fooled by a sports vs street dichotomy.
Their are a lot of threads on his site where you can read up on that.
Also since your new a good start is learning about aliveness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU

RynoGreene
4/23/2015 2:04pm,
SAMBO. Anyone who argues otherwise is full of it.

searcher66071
4/26/2015 3:50pm,
I know my $0.02 worth is just that, but |I will throw it out anyway.

I started taking Sambo a couple of years ago with the guy that would eventually become my Judo coach. He has competed on the US team at Worlds in Japan(last year was his first time). He mas not really a Combat Sambo guy, but more a Sport Sambo guy(he got into CS because he had done well at SS & there was an opening). I have also observed Systema from a group that shared the BJJ school I used to train at. I will say this, go with Sambo. From my observations of Systema, it is taking hokey to a whole new level. I had some of them roll in my BJJ class, and it was not pretty. To say the least. We even had one go out so bad we thought we were going to have to call 911. I am sure the concepts sound good on paper(maybe), but in reality, they will get you seriously hurt in a conflict of any kind. My observations of Sambo are a bit different. It has a feel of a cross between Judo, BJJ, and JJJ. I have yet to find any real holes in it(the no chokes thing is closest). You will get in good condition, have some pretty nasty throws, good arm locks, and a nice array of leg locks. The Kurtka seems a bit tight, especially after being used to a Judo and BJJ Gi, but you get used to it. The tight shorts are none to appealing for anyone in the class. Shoes take some getting used to, though I rarely wear them myself. Fingers get sore, but it is no worse than Judo or BJJ.

One thing I will say, make sure to ask SamboSteve about the one you are thinking of training with. If he has not heard of them, then most likely they are a bit shady. I am not saying all are, but it would seem that with the small Sambo community, he would have at least heard of them.

Big Dav
5/17/2015 10:43am,
thank you all for the responses. I'm in toronto so these are the two combat sambo places I could find: 'central academy of mma and bjj' and the combat academy toronto/mma fightclub