PDA

View Full Version : Joined Planet Fitness

Pages : [1] 2

JudOWNED
4/21/2015 7:04pm,
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/l_vqFq7J9vs/hqdefault.jpg

So, saw the Dr. monday and got great news. 2 months out from my surgery (torn pec tendon) everything looks good and I can start the "strengthening" portion of my rehab. Since I've done such a great job doing the "range of motion" part of my rehab myself (my secret is to just do stuff like normal!) he thought I'd be fine for this part too. For the next two months he has restricted me to machines only, no free weights, and low weight/high rep. Since I have only worked out at home using body weight and dumbbells for the last several years, this meant I needed a gym.

Now, those of you who don't know me IRL probably don't know that I am cheap. Not just frugal, but cheap. Every other gym I've ever lifted in before has been free (work or school). So paying anything more than a couple bucks a month was out of the question. That left me with basically one option: Planet Fitness! Conveniently located within minutes from my work.

Now, I'd heard the rumors. Lunk alarms. People being asked to leave for basically working out hard. Pizza nights and bagel breakfasts. So I wasn't too keen on it. But I decided to go take a look. Went in for a tour. Got some nice young lady with a tongue stud to show me around and answer questions.

I must admit, the facilities were very nice. I mean, if cardio's your thing, they have cardio machines for days! About 50 treadmills. Stair climbers. Elipticals. Etc. Free weight section wasn't huge, but still had half a dozen benches, another half a dozen Smiths, large rack of dumbbells, etc. And they had just about every kind of machine imaginable, which was just what I was looking for. Hammer strength. Nautilus type stuff. Row upon row. And that's not to mention the machines they had in their "30 Minute Circuit" area. So I'm in, basically, at this point.

But I did have some questions. When we started the tour she immediately hit me with "we're not a body building gym." She also hit all the commercial talking points. "No yelling, dropping or slamming weights. Judgement free zone." Etc. Funny thing is that these weren't stated in such a way as to encourage me to join, but rather came across as a warning! I never think I look "big" or like I lift, but I must have had something going on because she kept looking at me like, "So you know, there's no... allowed." I did mock threaten to walk out when she said "no string tank tops" though! Haha.

Anyway, I finally straight up asked her. I said I'm only doing rehab now, but usually I like to use free weights and lift heavy. Would that be a problem? She said definitely not. Basically you just can't be loud about it.

Oddly enough, went for my first work out today and one of the first people I see is a gal wearing nothing but a sports bra and tights! And there were plenty of people lifting seriously, including some really big dudes. So all in all it was a pleasant experience.

tl,dr Joined PF to do rehab. Despite rumors to the contrary, seems like a good place to work out. lol Pizza Night!

It is Fake
4/21/2015 7:39pm,
It's all about the group that trains at a particular PF. If it is a gym with a large amount of fatties, men and women, you hear horror stories. If it has moderate to extreme fitness people you rarely have problems.

ermghoti
4/21/2015 10:06pm,
A guy at work is childhood frieds with a guy who worked directly under one of the founders of Planet Fatness. It's business model is pure genius. The policies are designed to ward off anybody interested in working out, and draw unmotivated memebers. Since nobody actually uses their membership, they can sell way morememberships per machine than an actual gym. Since they can pile in members, they can keep the fees low enough that nobody quits, so they can pretend they will start going to the gym next week forever.

JudOWNED
4/22/2015 12:51pm,
Well, two days of working out now. First, I need a shirt that says "Just had shoulder surgery" because I feel like a goof working with machines on the lowest possible weight setting. Second, it has seemed "busy" to me both times (around lunch time) I have gone. Never had to wait for a machine, but there was a steady stream of people. Third, I did notice that they have no squat or safety racks. That must explain all the Smith Machines. That's not a problem for me since I have used the smith for benching and squatting for a long time now due to various issues. But it might turn someone else off.

I definitely think you are right, IIF. And I think I found a decent one. Lots of people doing serious workouts. No power lifters, of course. But no weirdo's or slackers either. Tomorrow will be the real test however, because it will be leg day. And that's the only area where I can still lift like my old self with no surgery concerns. I'm sure I'm going to let out a grunt or two when squatting, so we'll see.

LIGHT WEIGHT! YEAH BUDDY!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Evergrey
4/23/2015 2:05am,
Fat people exercising? Oh the horror, heaven forbid!

big maclol
4/23/2015 12:24pm,
Lol hey last night I took a planet fitness tour out of curiosity. The staff was energetic and friendly : -)

I did feel like there were too many rules but people there were pretty athletic so I didn't spot any lunk alarms. I guess it really is about the location than the members...

The pizza night bagel morning thing is pretty wild though, lol.

BKR
4/23/2015 1:30pm,
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/l_vqFq7J9vs/hqdefault.jpg

So, saw the Dr. monday and got great news. 2 months out from my surgery (torn pec tendon) everything looks good and I can start the "strengthening" portion of my rehab. Since I've done such a great job doing the "range of motion" part of my rehab myself (my secret is to just do stuff like normal!) he thought I'd be fine for this part too. For the next two months he has restricted me to machines only, no free weights, and low weight/high rep. Since I have only worked out at home using body weight and dumbbells for the last several years, this meant I needed a gym.

Now, those of you who don't know me IRL probably don't know that I am cheap. Not just frugal, but cheap. Every other gym I've ever lifted in before has been free (work or school). So paying anything more than a couple bucks a month was out of the question. That left me with basically one option: Planet Fitness! Conveniently located within minutes from my work.

Now, I'd heard the rumors. Lunk alarms. People being asked to leave for basically working out hard. Pizza nights and bagel breakfasts. So I wasn't too keen on it. But I decided to go take a look. Went in for a tour. Got some nice young lady with a tongue stud to show me around and answer questions.

I must admit, the facilities were very nice. I mean, if cardio's your thing, they have cardio machines for days! About 50 treadmills. Stair climbers. Elipticals. Etc. Free weight section wasn't huge, but still had half a dozen benches, another half a dozen Smiths, large rack of dumbbells, etc. And they had just about every kind of machine imaginable, which was just what I was looking for. Hammer strength. Nautilus type stuff. Row upon row. And that's not to mention the machines they had in their "30 Minute Circuit" area. So I'm in, basically, at this point.

But I did have some questions. When we started the tour she immediately hit me with "we're not a body building gym." She also hit all the commercial talking points. "No yelling, dropping or slamming weights. Judgement free zone." Etc. Funny thing is that these weren't stated in such a way as to encourage me to join, but rather came across as a warning! I never think I look "big" or like I lift, but I must have had something going on because she kept looking at me like, "So you know, there's no... allowed." I did mock threaten to walk out when she said "no string tank tops" though! Haha.

Anyway, I finally straight up asked her. I said I'm only doing rehab now, but usually I like to use free weights and lift heavy. Would that be a problem? She said definitely not. Basically you just can't be loud about it.

Oddly enough, went for my first work out today and one of the first people I see is a gal wearing nothing but a sports bra and tights! And there were plenty of people lifting seriously, including some really big dudes. So all in all it was a pleasant experience.

tl,dr Joined PF to do rehab. Despite rumors to the contrary, seems like a good place to work out. lol Pizza Night!

But can you **** other members ? Including the sales rep ? I mean, if it's consensual.

You need to get your priorities straight.

BKR
4/23/2015 1:31pm,
Well, two days of working out now. First, I need a shirt that says "Just had shoulder surgery" because I feel like a goof working with machines on the lowest possible weight setting. Second, it has seemed "busy" to me both times (around lunch time) I have gone. Never had to wait for a machine, but there was a steady stream of people. Third, I did notice that they have no squat or safety racks. That must explain all the Smith Machines. That's not a problem for me since I have used the smith for benching and squatting for a long time now due to various issues. But it might turn someone else off.

I definitely think you are right, IIF. And I think I found a decent one. Lots of people doing serious workouts. No power lifters, of course. But no weirdo's or slackers either. Tomorrow will be the real test however, because it will be leg day. And that's the only area where I can still lift like my old self with no surgery concerns. I'm sure I'm going to let out a grunt or two when squatting, so we'll see.

LIGHT WEIGHT! YEAH BUDDY!! WHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'm waiting for tales of wild sex in the closet, hurry up !

JudOWNED
4/23/2015 2:00pm,
OK, this will probably be my last post on the subject.

Went to lift today and it was LEG DAY! I used to hate leg day, as squats were always my most difficult lift. But now I love it, because legs are the one area where I can completely bypass my shoulder and LIFT HEAVY. So after warming up, I did a heavy pyramid set of squats. My last 1RM was 250, but that was literally 10 years ago. Done nothing but body-weight since. Started at 135 and worked my way up to a 1RM of 205! Not bad, I say.

Here's the relevant info. There's no way I could try for a 1RM twice without grunting. I pretty much grunted and growled my way through the entire rep on each attempt. Well, there was so much ambient noise (music, and all the machines) that even had they cared, no one could have heard me. So, at least at the location I go to, you'd have to yell like Ronnie Coleman to set off the "lunk alarm."

JudOWNED
4/23/2015 9:11pm,
Don't know how I missed both your posts, BKR, but I'll have you know I am a happily married man (no pics), sir! I'm sure I could slay many ladies there if I wasn't. Young Miss Tongue Stud seemed available, for example. But you'd have to have game. Otherwise it would be pretty easy for someone to complain to management.

itwasntme
4/24/2015 3:21am,
But can you **** other members ? Including the sales rep ? I mean, if it's consensual.

You need to get your priorities straight.

“Bodybuilders party a lot, and once, in Gold’s–the gym in Venice, California, where all the top guys train–there was a black girl who came out naked. Everybody jumped on her and took her upstairs, where we all got together…But not everybody, just the guys who can **** in front of other guys. Not everybody can do that. Some think that they don’t have a big-enough cock, so they can’t get a hard-on.”

-Arnold, the 70s

1point2
4/24/2015 12:03pm,
Started at 135 and worked my way up to a 1RM of 205!

Smith machine "squats" are worth about the same as quarter-squats. Let's not conflate the two.

JudOWNED
4/24/2015 6:14pm,
Smith machine squats < free weight squats
Smith machine squats > than quarter squats

plasma
4/26/2015 6:58am,
Smith machine can only be low weight because it forces bad squat form. If you go high weight your going to **** up your knees.

http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/

JudOWNED
4/30/2015 8:24am,
That's interesting to see people saying that Plasma. If you look at sites talking about how to squat, they all talk about a perfect squat having a straight, vertical path. Most people have a slight forward motion in the path, especially when they are pushing a heavy weight, but they all seem to agree you should strive for as straight a path as possible.

Here's only one example of several that I found which illustrate this. http://blog.barsense.com/post/78579776909/correcting-squat-technique-with-barsense-and-bar

A smith machine gives you that straight bar path. Why would a straight path be good with free weights but bad with a machine? Doesn't make sense to me. Also, I have lifted off and on for a long time. And I have used smiths a lot. I have found they work well for me. I also have found there are a lot of smith haters. "Serious lifters" tend to dislike machines in general anyway. And they hate the smith even more because the smith pretends to be free weights. But for those of us who understand what they are and what they are not, I think they can be a great tool.

Cayvmann
4/30/2015 8:58am,
Striving for a straight path, and being forced into one, are two different things. People's leverages don't generally work out perfectly. I have the hardest time using leg presses... ymmv

I don't hate smith machines, in general, but for squats and bench they suck the big green weenie. My shoulders and knees never hurt worse, than when using the smith machine for squats and bench, and yes I was being careful and trying to use good form.

That being said, I've seen some big, strong power lifters doing assistance work on smith machines, and they swore by them for certain things, just not the full squat or bench. I sometimes do single leg stuff on the smith machine, or split squats. Light weight baby!!!!

If it's all you have, then use them, but keep an eye on your form, and pay attention to what your joints are telling you.