PDA

View Full Version : Training late hours (like 1-2am) advice

big maclol
4/19/2015 10:45pm,
But you need your REM! you need to sleep!

Hey guys, I'm 20y young and lately I've been obsessed with training. I noticed a few really good fighters like Mayweather even train through 1 to 3am?

How do they do it? do they eat superbly good food and calories to keep up? I have a coach willing to meet me at 1am for some light drilling after a late night training session.

Any advice you guys can give to supplement this hard core training plan? thanks in advance! :)

goodlun
4/19/2015 10:48pm,
But you need your REM! you need to sleep!

Hey guys, I'm 20y young and lately I've been obsessed with training. I noticed a few really good fighters like Mayweather even train through 1 to 3am?

How do they do it? do they eat superbly good food and calories to keep up? I have a coach willing to meet me at 1am for some light drilling after a late night training session.

Any advice you guys can give to supplement this hard core training plan? thanks in advance! :)

I don't think it really matters when you train as long as you get in all your post work nutrients and get the rest you need at some other time.
I would be down to train at 1 or 2 am I am a night owl by my very nature.

Evergrey
4/19/2015 11:18pm,
Working out can really oxygenate your blood, and that can wake you up, making it harder to fall asleep, so be warned that you might not get to sleep until 3 or 4am or so.

As for training all day and all night- why? Probably not actually optimal.

gold_ax666
4/20/2015 4:13am,
Interesting point to consider- I like this.

An article form the Daily Mail recently that is relevant:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-55255/Why-night-time-best-work-time.html

As a subjective approach some people just prefer to train at night. Some early in the morning. It's a personal choice. There is prof that night time training can give a good response when compared with training at other times too.

From a social aspect it may depend completely on lifestyle. I have a wife, an 11 year old daughter and a (nearly) 2 year old daughter as well as a full time day job and martial arts clubs to run. I am also healthily obsessed with my own personal training; but to fit in what I want to do around my family and life I have:

-Got up at 5am to drive to friends' houses to train
-Got up at 5am with sub zero temperatures and snow on the ground to lift weights in my garage (no electricity or heating at all so was by candlelight wearing many layers!)
-Gone for a run when the family was in bed at night so as not to infringe on personal time.
-Trained literally in my lounge whilst the wife watched **** TV programmes
-Drive up to 1.5hrs after work to train at various classes

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I also read about an amateur MMA fighter who got up really early to train because he liked the idea of working hard whilst his opponents were still asleep in bed.

Physiologically- I agree with Goodlun. You can work a perfectly good training routine whether your day starts at 3am, 5am, 7am etc.

Good topic though- I look forward to seeing other people's opinions on this one.

Hadzu
4/20/2015 1:40pm,
I also read about an amateur MMA fighter who got up really early to train because he liked the idea of working hard whilst his opponents were still asleep in bed.

Mike Tyson famously did the same thing, for the same reason.

While Mike Tyson was running at 4:30 am, a reporter asked him: “Why are you running so early?” Then he replied confidently: ” Because I know that while I train , my opponent is still sleeping.”

SeeJenFight
4/29/2015 7:26pm,
My husband has trained in boxing for the longest time. He is also in the restaurant business so he often gets home late, sometimes even past midnight. He'll hit the heavy bag we have in the basement before coming to bed.

He doesn't fall asleep immediately after training. But he doesn't fall asleep right away regardless, even if he just decides to catch a movie on Netflix instead. But he doesn't have to be back at work at 9am either.

As long as you're getting a good amount of sleep and you eat right, I don't think it matters when you train.