PDA

View Full Version : Another leglock rant

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ghost55
4/01/2015 1:33pm,
I considered putting this in a technique forum, but I'm a white belt so I'm probably wrong and an idiot so it's going here.

**** not allowing leglocks at white belt. **** that dumb idea in the fucking asshole with a rake. I get waiting a bit for heel hooks, but knee bars, toe holds and calf slicers should be fair game. Today I had two people practically knee bar themselves and the stupid rules meant I couldn't finish. One guy basically walked into a similar position to what John Fitch was in when he got knee bar'd by Palhares. The other guy put his leg in a position while on top of half guard where I could have grabbed his ankle and pulled for the calf slicer, or scooped under his leg and rolled him over for the kneebar. And the dumbest part with that guy was he started going g for a wristlock from that position: another non-white belt technique.

If someone is stupid enough to give me a leg lock on a silver platter I should be allowed to punish that. Under current rules someone could get away with this **** up through purple belt. This is fucking bullshit and it has to stop. It encourages bad habits when it comes to defending the legs and it pisses me the **** off.

goodlun
4/01/2015 1:58pm,
I considered putting this in a technique forum, but I'm a white belt so I'm probably wrong and an idiot so it's going here.

**** not allowing leglocks at white belt. **** that dumb idea in the fucking asshole with a rake. I get waiting a bit for heel hooks, but knee bars, toe holds and calf slicers should be fair game. Today I had two people practically knee bar themselves and the stupid rules meant I couldn't finish. One guy basically walked into a similar position to what John Fitch was in when he got knee bar'd by Palhares. The other guy put his leg in a position while on top of half guard where I could have grabbed his ankle and pulled for the calf slicer, or scooped under his leg and rolled him over for the kneebar. And the dumbest part with that guy was he started going g for a wristlock from that position: another non-white belt technique.

If someone is stupid enough to give me a leg lock on a silver platter I should be allowed to punish that. Under current rules someone could get away with this **** up through purple belt. This is fucking bullshit and it has to stop. It encourages bad habits when it comes to defending the legs and it pisses me the **** off.

1st off let me chide you for rolling to win.
So what if you could have gotten a submission it doesn't mean ****.
2nd off safety matters, so what if you could have done it, could the other guy react appropriately to you applying it? Does he know the defense to it? Does he know when to tap? Do the combination of both of you have enough stability to not end up in a really bad position when you go for it?
3rd yeah it is a bit bullshit and it does differ from one gym to another.
When ever I end up at a new gym or an open mat someplace I always ask what is kosher for that gym.
Some Gyms white belts doing anything other than a straight ankle is a big no no **** some places even that is a no no.
Some Gyms are cool with what ever as long as you are doing it in a controlled safe manner.
Some gyms are good with going for what ever the higher belt is allowed.
I wouldn't worry about bad habits their is enough depth of techniques that need to be learned at white blue and purple as it is.

Get your fundamentals down and don't worry about this other ****. Rolling is to learn not to win. Doesn't matter if you get tapped with bullshit or not.

One last note your not doing yourself any favors by getting taps with techniques that the other guy doesn't know how to defend.

Ming Loyalist
4/01/2015 2:06pm,
1st off let me chide you for rolling to win.

he wasn't clear about this being rolling or a competition, actually. if it was rolling then you have a point.

i'm right there with you with the rest of your points.

BKR
4/01/2015 2:06pm,

yeah, I feel your pain, bro, I really hate it that I'm not allowed to choke out little kids in the junior judo class...

Ming Loyalist
4/01/2015 2:11pm,
yeah, I feel your pain, bro, I really hate it that I'm not allowed to choke out little kids in the junior judo class...

i know you're kidding but it is really funny when they turn 13 and have to deal with chokes. suddenly they realize why i have been telling them to tuck their chins for years (right before the furious tapping starts.)

ghost55
4/01/2015 2:11pm,
That's fair. The first guy had a solid 50lbs on me and was muscling everything in an explosive manner. He was basically being a dick. I had to tell him to chill out several times. He wasn't even overwhelming me or anything, he was just spazzing. I don't even care about winning, but it's frustrating to not be able to go for a technique when it is RIGHT THERE. And yeah, the other dude probably wouldn't have tapped because spazzing, and the fact that he put himself there in the first place makes it clear to me that he had no idea what a knee bar is.

The guy that tried the wrist lock would have most likely tapped. Pretty sure that he knows what a knee bar is, just not the entry I would have used.

ghost55
4/01/2015 2:15pm,

Not comparable really. Both guys were bigger than me (one significantly so), and one had two stripes, which is two more stripes then I have.

goodlun
4/01/2015 2:26pm,
one had two stripes, which is two more stripes then I have.

This is why you should only be worried about gripping fighting, staying heavy, blocking the hips, keeping your center line past their legs and hips, and keeping tight and not worrying about tapping anyone out ever with anything.

BKR
4/01/2015 2:26pm,
i know you're kidding but it is really funny when they turn 13 and have to deal with chokes. suddenly they realize why i have been telling them to tuck their chins for years (right before the furious tapping starts.)

Over 10 or 11 starts getting introduced to shime waza, depending on how long they have been in Judo. Under 16 age (sankyu and up) is first division in which shime waza is legal in Canada, at least. I think those are basic IJF regs. So depending on birthday, it's 13, 14, 15 year olds. u18 is chokes and armbars sankyu and above...

Once you teach them chokes, that's all they want to do in ne waza, LOL ...

BKR
4/01/2015 2:28pm,
Not comparable really. Both guys were bigger than me (one significantly so), and one had two stripes, which is two more stripes then I have.

I feel your pain, bro, being 5'7" and 150 pounds myself. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And hopefully stops the kvetching...

BKR
4/01/2015 2:30pm,
Oh, and de-focus on the whole "stripe" thing, you will make faster progress.

ghost55
4/01/2015 2:40pm,

I really don't care about stripes. I would probably have one by now if I hadn't done exclusively no GI and MMA from September to January.

BKR
4/01/2015 2:40pm,
OMG, let me tell you, I was at BJJ class (in the evil gi, no less) and this monster black belt (240? solid muscle...) was ALL OVER ME ! ****, he just would not stop on the collar chokes and heavy pressure ! Jeebus, all it was all I could do to keep myself from being decapitated by all sorts of weird jacket skirt multi-collar chokes, slide to the side to relieve the CRUSHING PRESSURE ! 5 minutes of rolling survival training, man ! Then the 200+ pound purple belt was next, he trained with FUCKING MARCELO GARCIA for 6 or 8 FUCKING YEARS ! OMG the crushing, technical level of pressure he put on me was almost unbearable ! Reminded me of being a white belt and rolling with my 210 pound all japan judo champion judo sense back in Texas ! Yet another 5 minutes of survival rolling, only to be choked out with yet another double jacket skirt, quadruple combo strangle with all 200 lbs of him on my neck..

And I'm FUCKING 52 years old ! With arthritic shoulders, wrists, and big toe joints !

If only I could have used my secret nage waza on him, I would have won !

If only I could have made him stand up and spar like a real man !
+++++++++++++++++END RANT++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You fucking *****, grow a pair. You don't know what pain or frustration in training is yet, despite your medical problems.

+++++++++++++++END RANT+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BKR
4/01/2015 2:42pm,
I really don't care about stripes. I would probably have one by now if I hadn't done exclusively no GI and MMA from September to January.

Oh, then I'll ignore you using them as part of your response. I must have misunderstood...

BackFistMonkey
4/01/2015 2:42pm,

Yeah that is why I don't have stripes too.

Hadzu
4/01/2015 2:44pm,

As a three-stripe white who regularly gets shithoused by folks with zero stripes, I second this. Especially at white belt, they convey anything from technical skill, to commitment and heart, to just sort of showing up on time for a while.

EDIT: And now this post is pointless. Poop.