PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts while disabled?

AHolm983
3/25/2015 11:42pm,
Evening everyone, I'm considering trying out a form of martial arts. The problem is that I'm wheelchair bound with cerebral palsy and only really have use of one arm. Any suggestions for a form to look into? And I apologize for this tough question... Thanks!

BKR
3/26/2015 4:16pm,
Evening everyone, I'm considering trying out a form of martial arts. The problem is that I'm wheelchair bound with cerebral palsy and only really have use of one arm. Any suggestions for a form to look into? And I apologize for this tough question... Thanks!

I think you can probably shoot a pistol.

Permalost
3/26/2015 4:46pm,
My old FMA teacher had pre-polio and it messed up one of his legs pretty bad, but with lots of training he learned to work around it. He's very adept at stickfighting- when we've sparred, I know his skill is higher than mine at mid-range but his mobility is bad, so I try to use my mobility and length to my advantage as much as possible, and he was still able to more than hold his own. Filipino martial arts may be an an interesting choice because with the use of one arm you can still use a stick or knife.