PDA

View Full Version : Newb Intro

Pages : [1] 2 3

FaerieGodfather
2/05/2015 11:16pm,
Didn't see a thread for this, so I hope I'm doing it right.

My name's Viktyr. I've "studied" the martial arts all my life, but I've had very little real training-- something I am hoping to eventually rectify. I'm a writer, trying to write good martial arts fantasy featuring all of the stuff this site debunks and I want to do a good job of writing real action.

I'm an Asatru-- Norse pagan-- and I've got a bad habit of injecting it into every aspect of my life. I feel a religious obligation to be an effective fighter; I carry weapons most of the time and practice regularly, but I feel that my unarmed and close-quarters combative skills are sorely underdeveloped and I'd like to do something about it. My dream is to one day open a private religious school with a well-rounded curriculum featuring physical, academic, and spiritual development.

Because my physical condition sometimes forces me to rely on a cane, I have a particular interest in FMA; I've received some free PTK lessons and I'm fascinated, but there's no teacher where I live.

That's me in a nutshell. I don't imagine I'll be posting much, except to ask questions, and I'm hoping to learn a lot.

jspeedy
2/06/2015 11:30am,
Welcome to bullshido! If you want to write about and teach martial arts you need to train under a qualified instructor. Dancing around with swords and knives and watching videos or reading books will never earn you respect from other instructors of martial arts. You've got to train, a lot. FMA is a good place to start if your interest lies on weapons and from what I've seen PTK is a solid art. Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a place. You can like PTK all day but if it's not available to you you've got to move or find something else. I heard an interesting comparison the other day in relation to distance learning. If you want to become a surgeon you've got to go to a medical school and learn, you can't learn brain surgery via distance learning. Now go find a class and train!

BackFistMonkey
2/06/2015 2:41pm,
My name's Viktyr. I've "studied" the martial arts all my life, but I've had very little real training-- something I am hoping to eventually rectify.

No Viktyr you have NOT studied martial arts all your life. You have read and thought and read and pondered about it and then watched some videos once you were old enough operate a computer.

I'm a writer, trying to write good martial arts fantasy featuring all of the stuff this site debunks and I want to do a good job of writing real action.

Good luck on that. No one really wants to read about basic techniques crushing the souls' of people who believe in magic and quackery ... well actually ...ignore me on this point. That may make an excellent action book.

I'm an Asatru-- Norse pagan-- and I've got a bad habit of injecting it into every aspect of my life. I feel a religious obligation to be an effective fighter; I carry weapons most of the time and practice regularly, but I feel that my unarmed and close-quarters combative skills are sorely underdeveloped and I'd like to do something about it. My dream is to one day open a private religious school with a well-rounded curriculum featuring physical, academic, and spiritual development.

Well to teach such things you must understand and master such things. Right now you are living a Pagan Fantasy walking around with weapons dreaming of opening a Educational Organization.

Speaking of which:

Who trained you with what weapon for how long and how do you and who do you "practice regularly" with currently.

Who is your High Priest and how long have been his initiate? Or depending on your Tradition which group are you currently worshiping with and are they aware of you desire to advance within the group to a High Priest status ?

What are your current Academic Accolades and what are your current country's rules regarding Private Religious Academic Institutions and requirements to teach?

These questions are not to tear you down but to give you and us an idea of where you are on your journey.

Because my physical condition sometimes forces me to rely on a cane, I have a particular interest in FMA; I've received some free PTK lessons and I'm fascinated, but there's no teacher where I live.

That's me in a nutshell. I don't imagine I'll be posting much, except to ask questions, and I'm hoping to learn a lot.

Well good luck my friend. You have a long journey a head of you. Do not let that discourage you tho. Just realize at this point in your journey based on what I have read into your post, you really might still be in the driveway packing your luggage.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Hadzu
2/06/2015 4:19pm,
Wait, have you guys been worshipping Oden while I wasn't looking? As someone whose ancestors were pretty into that stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this: is it a more recent hipster resurgence type thing, or has this been going on for a while?

slamdunc
2/06/2015 4:47pm,
Welcome to Bullshido. We all have room for improvement in our lives.

goodlun
2/06/2015 4:52pm,
Well I think you should become familiar with the Dog Brothers if your not already.
Looks like the guy that is nearest to you is a good 3 hour drive away but I may have missed someone.
http://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/
How ever they do have some great DVDs which you can use to supplement your learning it is not though a replacement for real live good weapons instruction.

BKR
2/06/2015 5:05pm,
Wait, have you guys been worshipping Oden while I wasn't looking? As someone whose ancestors were pretty into that stuff, I'm surprised I haven't heard more of this: is it a more recent hipster resurgence type thing, or has this been going on for a while?

http://www.asatru.org/index.php

W. Rabbit
2/06/2015 5:18pm,
Didn't see a thread for this, so I hope I'm doing it right.

Here's the thread for this

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Hadzu
2/06/2015 5:51pm,
http://www.asatru.org/index.php

Well, that was fun. In the interest of those who hold to Asatro (I think we need a collective noun. Astries? Asses?), I won't assume that that website speaks for the entire community. Ah well, I guess it takes all kinds.

BKR
2/06/2015 6:13pm,
Well, that was fun. In the interest of those who hold to Asatro (I think we need a collective noun. Astries? Asses?), I won't assume that that website speaks for the entire community. Ah well, I guess it takes all kinds.

You mean that you, as a Swede, do not feel some sort of pull deep down in your Nordic genes (jeans?) for Asatru?

Hadzu
2/06/2015 6:32pm,
You mean that you, as a Swede, do not feel some sort of pull deep down in your Nordic genes (jeans?) for Asatru?

I mean, I can appreciate a philosophy centered around kicking ass and drinking mead as much as the next guy, but I manage to get all my plundering and pillaging needs out of my system without making up a kewl new name for myself and worshipping Marvel characters. Also, if my pagan ancestors could see me they'd all be incredibly depressed; I'm 18 years old and yet I haven't staked my claim to any womenz, I don't have my own lands and the only sword I own is a cavalry saber. In short, I wouldn't feel comfortable claiming to adhere to their ways when I suck so hard at them.

BKR
2/06/2015 8:13pm,
I mean, I can appreciate a philosophy centered around kicking ass and drinking mead as much as the next guy, but I manage to get all my plundering and pillaging needs out of my system without making up a kewl new name for myself and worshiping Marvel characters. Also, if my pagan ancestors could see me they'd all be incredibly depressed; I'm 18 years old and yet I haven't staked my claim to any womenz, I don't have my own lands and the only sword I own is a cavalry saber. In short, I wouldn't feel comfortable claiming to adhere to their ways when I suck so hard at them.

Well, try harder...

oh, and at 18, don't stake claims, you have a lot more of your prime years left in you.

BTW, the "worshiping Marvel characters" comment is very, very funny!

jspeedy
2/06/2015 11:28pm,
Well hopefully we haven't scared our aspiring warrior priest off. I'm curious how old he is? I've met many a dillisionsal martial artist in my time and run into a few "self taught" instructors. Friendliness and an unwillingness to bring up confrontational topics allows these guys to thrive and exist in their own world. the op can be what he wants but he seems to be on the wrong path.

FaerieGodfather
2/06/2015 11:57pm,
Welcome to bullshido! If you want to write about and teach martial arts you need to train under a qualified instructor.

I should clarify that I am not expecting to be teaching the martial arts personally any time soon or any time ever-- my goal is to open a school in which martial arts are a part of the curriculum, as taught by qualified personnel. My intended role is in administration and curriculum design, which requires much less training to be qualified for.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help you find a place.

I am in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Good luck on that. No one really wants to read about basic techniques crushing the souls' of people who believe in magic and quackery ... well actually ...ignore me on this point. That may make an excellent action book.

Thanks!

Who trained you with what weapon for how long and how do you and who do you "practice regularly" with currently.

I carry a pistol. I spend as much time at the range as I can afford the ammo. I've had a couple of different teachers, but I am pretty much self-instructed at this point.

However, carrying a pistol is not always practical and it never hurts to have less-lethal options; also, pistol training is not very useful for physical conditioning.

Who is your High Priest and how long have been his initiate? Or depending on your Tradition which group are you currently worshiping with and are they aware of you desire to advance within the group to a High Priest status ?

We do not have "high priests" or "initiates". My gy­ja is aware of my educational aspirations and supports them.

What are your current Academic Accolades and what are your current country's rules regarding Private Religious Academic Institutions and requirements to teach?

I have most of a four year degree in Education. I intend to at least finish that before I start anything, if not pursue post-grad studies-- which is well more than I need, legally, and hopefully enough, practically.

These questions are not to tear you down but to give you and us an idea of where you are on your journey.

No, it's quite alright. I shouldn't have expected anything less, here, and I am happy to admit these are long-term aspirations which I am not nearly prepared to complete.

It's been a thing in Iceland and the US since the 1960s and has spread to Europe (and other places) since. It saw another major resurgence in the 1990s.

Thank you, they don't. Asatru.org is the website of the AFA which is run by Steve McNallen, who is widely and correctly regarded as a racist ass; it's something of a running debate in Asatru circles as to whether or not there is a racial component to one's connection to the gods (our gods, or the gods of someone's own ancestors) and I am firmly in the camp that there is not.

---

Sorry for misposting this; I found the link to Newbietown in between when I posted it and when it was approved.

FaerieGodfather
2/07/2015 12:00am,
Well hopefully we haven't scared our aspiring warrior priest off.

I'm made of sterner stuff than that.

To answer your question, I'm 35.

FaerieGodfather
2/07/2015 12:04am,
And I am much more of an aspiring author than an aspiring "warrior priest". I don't fancy myself much of a warrior at all, even in aspiration; I don't want to fight for a living, I just want to be better at it if I have to fight for my life.