PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a List of Anti-Vaxxers in MA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Phrost
2/03/2015 7:03pm,
http://i.imgur.com/r2XfRgo.jpg

You know them, they're everywhere: people who believe the government is trying to give their children autism or sterilize the population or use Science to make Katy Perry's music palatable.

They're infesting every walk of life these days, across the scope of the political spectrum and in every social class.

But what is especially insidious, is the fact that these people are often in close contact with you, skin to skin in many cases, if not skin to the mat your skin is now touching.

Bullshido's mission is to fight BS, and there's little that's a bigger pile of BS than the irrational beliefs associated with the movement against vaccination. Disneyland's measles outbreak is just the start. For many of us, the gym is Disneyland.

So help us help the rest of goddamn civilization: if you know of a notable person in the MA world - an instructor or athlete, for example - share that information in this thread. After all, if they're proud enough of their views to share them publicly, they shouldn't mind being identified for everyone to see.

Here's where we're going to put the list, once it's finalized and vetted as well as possible:

http://bullshido.org/Anti_Vaccination_List

BKR
2/03/2015 7:11pm,
Not vaccinating your kids (or yourself as appropriate) is just ignorant and dare I say stupid, regarding MMR for sure.

Phrost
2/03/2015 11:28pm,
Note: if you're going to post someone you think is anti-vaxx, try to include a quote or screen shot of theirs as support; we don't need this to be a baseless witch hunt. Witches don't exist, but dangerous dumbasses do.

jitschix
2/04/2015 1:15am,
Owner of Datsusara:

Ke?poFist
2/04/2015 9:29am,
It sucks because I like the guy, but Luke Cummo has a fairly steady stream of vaccine misinformation on his social media pages

PDA
2/04/2015 11:42am,
Im a little confused by this.

If I am fully vaccinated why would it matter that somebody else is not if they choose not to be regardless if they are touching me or not as I am immune?

Surely it can only harm other ignorant people so compiling a list is going to achieve what?

Phrost
2/04/2015 11:57am,
It sucks because I like the guy, but Luke Cummo has a fairly steady stream of vaccine misinformation on his social media pages

Good find.

I wonder what Mac Danzig thinks about vaccines. He has some wacky views on other things...

ermghoti
2/04/2015 12:48pm,

If I am fully vaccinated why would it matter that somebody else is not if they choose not to be regardless if they are touching me or not as I am immune?

Surely it can only harm other ignorant people so compiling a list is going to achieve what?

Vaccines are generally 90+% effective, but that's not 100%, and some people are between boosters. A few people are medically contraindicated for vaccines, and newborns can not be vaccinated for something like two weeks. everybody bears the public health costs incurred with epidemics, which flood the hospitals, filled with compromised immune systems, with contagious illnesses. Somebody's superstition or carefully nurtured ignorance is not worth any of that.

Compiling a list enables one to vote with their dollars, and to avoid a possible epicenter of an outbreak.

Drunken Soim
2/04/2015 1:22pm,

I understand your point, but I believe we should fight BS on all levels. IMO, if by making a list we achieve nothing, at least we're able to state our opposition.

Besides, I like to think people give a damn about what we say in Bullshido. I myself have abandoned a lot of stupid thoughts after lurking these forums long enough. I hope the same happens to other people.

Anyways, I fully support this thread, but I'm afraid about the legal consequences of listing those people. Could this be viewed as discriminatory in the US?

Phrost
2/04/2015 1:36pm,
Making a list of people who have publicly expressed a certain view is perfectly legal.

It is Fake
2/04/2015 1:58pm,
Could this be viewed as discriminatory in the US?Explain?

Evergrey
2/04/2015 9:18pm,
Herd immunity is why people who choose to not vaccinate are harming more than themselves and other wackos, on top of what has been mentioned here earlier in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

Drunken Soim
2/04/2015 11:01pm,
Explain?

Now that I reread it, the expression doesn't seem appropriate. By "discrimination" I meant "telling apart" or to "differentiate". The act of telling those people apart could be interpreted by some as means to ridicule.

The question is also out of curiosity. People get sued for the darnest things in my country, and I feared the same stuff happened in the US. Anyway, Phrost made a good point about that. I'm convinced.

PDA
2/05/2015 6:41am,
Vaccines are generally 90+% effective, but that's not 100%, and some people are between boosters. A few people are medically contraindicated for vaccines, and newborns can not be vaccinated for something like two weeks. everybody bears the public health costs incurred with epidemics, which flood the hospitals, filled with compromised immune systems, with contagious illnesses. Somebody's superstition or carefully nurtured ignorance is not worth any of that.

Compiling a list enables one to vote with their dollars, and to avoid a possible epicenter of an outbreak.

That makes sense.

I have a feeling having now read some of the "Antivaxxer" Facebook rants that they will be proud of their inclusion on the list rather than opposed to it.
Hopefully one of them will appear to discuss it but given their reaction to some of the questioning of their beliefs ive noticed they do not seam to react well to open debate.

Evergrey
2/05/2015 7:33pm,
Whenever I see one of those idiotic anti-vax posts on facebook where someone says "Hmmm makes you think" I always think "please don't, you aren't very good at it."

Confirmation bias and blowback effect are why people will believe some crazy person with the modern equivalent of a geocities page over thousands and thousands of real, actual experts who have spent their lives studying in the field.

Hertzyscowicz
2/06/2015 7:08am,
That makes sense.

I have a feeling having now read some of the "Antivaxxer" Facebook rants that they will be proud of their inclusion on the list rather than opposed to it.
Hopefully one of them will appear to discuss it but given their reaction to some of the questioning of their beliefs ive noticed they do not seam to react well to open debate.

Get all the unvaccinated kids to train at the same dojo and let nature run it's course, and we'll solve the problem in a generation or two.