PDA

View Full Version : newbie intro

Miranda_Jane
2/03/2015 12:49am,
Hi all,

I am a longtime lurker here, and I made an account a few years back specifically to provide some input on a thread I had a personal stake in. I've posted a few more times since, so I thought I would do the whole official introduction thing.

I spent all of my childhood and adolescence at a traditional tae kwon do school. It called itself tkd, but I am pretty sure it had more in common with Tang Soo Do or other "Korean Karate" variants. I was one of those irritating and incompetent kiddie black belts. There were a lot of really messed up things about this place, which were a little more extreme than the classical McDojang symptoms. My instructor genuinely thought he had psychic powers and at some point decided he was going to pass his psychic abilities on to me. So one day he pulled me out of class one day and made me practice guessing the color of the card he held up. This went on for a good hour. He was also weirdly obsessed with who I was and/or wasn't dating. It gets worse and weirder from here on out, so I will just leave those stories for another time.

I guess when I was 15, I had a "falling out" with my instructor. Instructor Douchebag basically gave a command that I (genuinely) believed was not meant for me, I didn't follow it, and he lost his **** and kicked me out. (I was a bit of a "star student" and thus got the brunt of his temper tantrums.) My parents got a call a few weeks later saying he repented, but at that point, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Anyway, I started doing the WTF competitive TKD thing with an eye for competing in college. At that point, I was pretty much aware that TKD was kind of stupid and useless, and I was also sick to death of over-the-top creepy cult ****. And breaking boards. Because **** breaking boards. But I also wasn't ready to find another style altogether, and it WAS a good work out and kind of fun. I did the competitive thing through high school and college. I had some good fights in college.

After that, I moved around a bit and had a lot of trouble finding a TKD place that I could even stomach. So I listened to the call of the muses and took up BJJ, which I had been wanting to try for a while. I find BJJ immensely more palatable as a style, not only because I feel like I am actually learning something that is not entirely stupid, but also because I don't have to call anybody "sir" or listen to my coach, while embezzling club funds, tell me about how tkd cured him from pancreatic cancer. (True story & different coach from the one described in the beginning. I think I have bad luck with coaches...)

jnp
2/03/2015 12:59pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

slamdunc
2/03/2015 1:14pm,
Welcome to Bullshido

frenchie88
2/03/2015 1:28pm,
Welcome to Bullshido!

BKR
2/03/2015 2:50pm,
Hi all,

I am a longtime lurker here, and I made an account a few years back specifically to provide some input on a thread I had a personal stake in. I've posted a few more times since, so I thought I would do the whole official introduction thing.

I spent all of my childhood and adolescence at a traditional tae kwon do school. It called itself tkd, but I am pretty sure it had more in common with Tang Soo Do or other "Korean Karate" variants. I was one of those irritating and incompetent kiddie black belts. There were a lot of really messed up things about this place, which were a little more extreme than the classical McDojang symptoms. My instructor genuinely thought he had psychic powers and at some point decided he was going to pass his psychic abilities on to me. So one day he pulled me out of class one day and made me practice guessing the color of the card he held up. This went on for a good hour. He was also weirdly obsessed with who I was and/or wasn't dating. It gets worse and weirder from here on out, so I will just leave those stories for another time.

I guess when I was 15, I had a "falling out" with my instructor. Instructor Douchebag basically gave a command that I (genuinely) believed was not meant for me, I didn't follow it, and he lost his **** and kicked me out. (I was a bit of a "star student" and thus got the brunt of his temper tantrums.) My parents got a call a few weeks later saying he repented, but at that point, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Anyway, I started doing the WTF competitive TKD thing with an eye for competing in college. At that point, I was pretty much aware that TKD was kind of stupid and useless, and I was also sick to death of over-the-top creepy cult ****. And breaking boards. Because **** breaking boards. But I also wasn't ready to find another style altogether, and it WAS a good work out and kind of fun. I did the competitive thing through high school and college. I had some good fights in college.

After that, I moved around a bit and had a lot of trouble finding a TKD place that I could even stomach. So I listened to the call of the muses and took up BJJ, which I had been wanting to try for a while. I find BJJ immensely more palatable as a style, not only because I feel like I am actually learning something that is not entirely stupid, but also because I don't have to call anybody "sir" or listen to my coach, while embezzling club funds, tell me about how tkd cured him from pancreatic cancer. (True story & different coach from the one described in the beginning. I think I have bad luck with coaches...)

Welcome ! It sounds like you have lead an interesting life. Keep on sharing !

How far have you gotten in your BJJ training ? Compete yet ?

Miranda_Jane
2/03/2015 10:17pm,
Thanks, all, for the welcomes! :D

How far have you gotten in your BJJ training ? Compete yet ?

I am still pretty much doing noob jitsu, so no competitions for me yet. (I am also SUPER small & light, so it's more like I'm-getting-squished jitsu.) I'd like to start competing this summer, but I will have to see what my (thankfully totally normal) coach says about that.

RealFolkBlues
2/04/2015 7:50am,
Welcome! Sorry you had bad experiences with weird, creepy coaches, and glad to hear you've got a good school now!