PDA

View Full Version : kyokushin; customs, tips and tricks?

Stoic Warrior
1/26/2015 2:35pm,
So I am hopefully competing in a kyogushin kickboxing tournament in Denver. I do not train in a karate school and would like to know more about any customs, tips and tricks my fellow bullies have and feel I should know about when it comes to this style.

ghost55
1/26/2015 3:04pm,
Prepare yourself. You are about to get the beating of your life.

BKR
1/26/2015 5:30pm,
So I am hopefully competing in a kyogushin kickboxing tournament in Denver. I do not train in a karate school and would like to know more about any customs, tips and tricks my fellow bullies have and feel I should know about when it comes to this style.

I suggest you go to a Kyuokushin school and work out/train with them a bit, that might help. I didn't see a Youn Wha Ryu school advertised in Colorado, so where are you training now?

I seriously doubt it's safe for you to just sign up for a kickboxing (assuming full contact) tournament with no specialized training.

gregaquaman
1/26/2015 10:33pm,
Find out the rules first. Because i haven't heard of kuyok kickboxing.

silvers_ghost
1/27/2015 9:58am,
Is this going to be an elimination style tournament (the most common) or a one match challenge/ring karate kind of deal? Will make a difference for your tactics and overall strategy...

It is definitely a good idea to go and get some sparring experience with some actual kyokushin practitioners. Due to the ruleset you may find it difficult controlling distance as you will not be able to use strikes to the head - this changes the game in a very big way. Also get some experience being hit bareknuckle to the body; if you are unused to it it will be a big shock when you take your first big one.

Keep your hands up!

And also...
Prepare yourself. You are about to get the beating of your life.

This.

Moenstah
1/30/2015 6:46pm,
If your sparring is similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdm0zGAusro

you will be in for a shock. Learn the full contact power applications for punches and kicks. Learn legkicks and blocking them.

For your own health and sake: please go to a kyokushin dojo, and train for some months with them. Let them know you'd like to participate in a match, so they might tailor your training to it.

If you go to a one off match style tournament: especially the inexperienced fights (based on what i saw myself) tend to go all out.

Should you feel to ignore the advice in the above posts: PLEASE film it and share it here

Permalost
1/30/2015 7:18pm,
Get some sparring in against kyokushin folks first. A tournament isn't the place to be doing something for the first time.

Stoic Warrior
2/04/2015 12:58am,
If your sparring is similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdm0zGAusro

you will be in for a shock. Learn the full contact power applications for punches and kicks. Learn legkicks and blocking them.

For your own health and sake: please go to a kyokushin dojo, and train for some months with them. Let them know you'd like to participate in a match, so they might tailor your training to it.

If you go to a one off match style tournament: especially the inexperienced fights (based on what i saw myself) tend to go all out.

Should you feel to ignore the advice in the above posts: PLEASE film it and share it here

The sparring I participate in looks nothing like this. While I recognize some of the techniques that these two are using, they are sparring terribly. I am ashamed that they claim to be of the same martial art as I am because the intensity in that sparing is just not there. It almost seems they are scared to throw hard or get hit, shameful display. It seems the general consensus it to go to a kyokushin dojo to practice a bit first. That seems logical and wise enough.

This said does anyone here have a recommendation of a good dojo to train at for a few days or weeks in the Denver area. Appreciate your help!

Moenstah
2/18/2015 3:11pm,
Sorry only now saw your reply: best of luck training and competing. Please post an update how it went!

RynoGreene
2/19/2015 3:56pm,
I've fought in Kyokushin tournaments even though I'm not a karate guy. Here would be my tips.

1. Leg kick defense and attack. This is super vital. You will be eliminated if you cannot defend against leg kicks, and you will likely be unable to walk the following day.

2. Be aware of crazy angled kicks that you might not see much in regular or Thai kickboxing very much. Crescent kicks, axe kicks, spinning hooks, etc. You probably won't see them much, but they will appear from time to time, and they can be fight enders. Of course, if you tend to keep your hands high consistently (unlike many Kyokushin fighters), this can be less of a problem of getting caught cleanly.

3. Use mobility and don't get drawn into fights of attrition, where you and your opponent just stand there banging on each other. A lot of Kyokushin guys tend to do this. They tend to have a real tough-guy mentality, and can be very tenacious and will just wear you down opponent after opponent. Since they do this regularly, they tend to be able withstand the grind pretty well. Rather than grind back, stick and move.

4. Use combinations, don't just tee off on big single shots. A lot of those guys have pretty tight defense, especially since they don't have to worry about getting punched in the face. They will often cover well against a single shot, then volley a quick counter combo, outscoring you. So set them up and always try to work in combinations, then use mobility to exit before they can counter.

Those are some of the tips that immediately jump to mind.