PDA

View Full Version : G’day from Qld

Jazz The Boxer
1/24/2015 1:56am,
G’day from Queensland, Australia

A brief intro before I fire off my questions

I stole my name from my dog, a 4 year old Boxer hence “Jazz the Boxer” as in a breed of dog, not the sport.

I’m a fat unfit 40 year old.

I got my wake up call recently when I had a couple of unpleasant exchanges with someone whom I will run into on a frequent basis and can’t be avoided. I stress that I was not the antagonist nor was I the source of his anger, just the target. It was during the first exchange that I realised that I had been living in a fairyland of make believe where I was physically fit, strong and capable. Fortunately the exchanges weren’t physical in nature.

Serendipitously my midlife crisis involved a resolve to lose the flab, get fit & strong as well as earn a black belt.

As per normal though, I over analysed it. I’ve spent literally months researching the “best” martial art, the “best” diet, the “best” exercise regime. All the while doing sweet FA actual physical work.

I pulled my finger out and I tried, I mean I really tried Aikido. I really wanted it to work. I can see it’s potential but I honestly believe that the style has been hijacked and neutered at some point by what I suspect is wannabe martial artists. A victim of politics.

I trialled Judo at my local PCYC (US equiv is YMCA). I really liked it but Christmas came around and it had a couple of weeks off.

Before I went back there I thought I’d have a look at the local Krav Maga club. Now the place that offers training there has a terrible web site, I called up & they said come on down. They had a “wrestling” class before the Krav & I gave that a go & loved it. The Krav I skipped out on because it’s just on to late for me. The “wrestling” actually was no-gi BJJ, the gym offers 1 class no gi, 1 class gi, 2 x MMA Fundamentals, 2 x open mat, 1 x Sambo. The guys there were all awesome, I rolled with a pro fighter on the open mat afternoon and all I can say is WOW. To be fair though with one lesson under my belt everyone dominated me. It’s just I could feel a world of difference rolling with the pro fighter and the regulars.

jnp
1/24/2015 1:34pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Your first 5-10 posts will have to be approved by the moderators due to a previous spam invasion. Please be patient with us as the mods sometimes take a day to approve them. After your initial 5-10 posts, your posts will be immediately visible to everyone.

ghost55
1/24/2015 1:56pm,
Sounds like you found a solid place. Diet-wise, I would recommend going keto/atkins/paleo. Just stop eating anything with processed sugar or grain in it (and don't drink anything that isn't water or unsweetened coffee or tea), and the weight will just fall off.

Also, welcome to Bullshido.

plasma
1/24/2015 3:59pm,
Welcome to Bullshido! Luckily your wake up call did not cause you any lasting harm. Steer clear of Aikido. Otherwise in 5 years you'll be a fat unfit 45 year old wearing a Black Belt that thinks he is a badass despite have the same fighting skills you did at this time.

Stick with the MMA/Wrestling/Jiu Jitsu school. In 5 years you may be only wearing a blue belt, but you'll actually be a badass. As for the Krav Maga class, Krav is really hit or miss depending on the instructor and how often you pressure test your self defense. I think you'll have enough to learn with the classes with MMA/Wrestling/Jiu Jitsu to handle yourself should the need arise.

plasma
1/24/2015 4:03pm,
Sounds like you found a solid place. Diet-wise, I would recommend going keto/atkins/paleo. Just stop eating anything with processed sugar or grain in it (and don't drink anything that isn't water or unsweetened coffee or tea), and the weight will just fall off.

You don't need to go that extreme right away. Ease into it, keep a food log (lots of free app for your smart phone). Log your food, your calories and your exercise. Your net calories should be between 1700-1900 per day to lose weight. That going by 2200-2400 calories per day to maintain minus 500 a day. That will give you around a pound a week. Remember this is NET. So if you run a 5k and burn 500 calories you'll be eating 2200-2400 that day.

This is what I do when I do long term weight loss. Since last May I went from 182lbs (82.5kg) to 164lbs (74.3kg). Without cutting carbs or sugars out of my diet.

slamdunc
1/24/2015 5:06pm,
Welcome to Bullshido and congratulations on the decision to make your life better.

soft touch
1/24/2015 6:42pm,

Firstly, welcome to my fellow Strayan!

secondly, this is good advice theoretically ghost, but in practice hard as **** to stick to, so I wouldn't recommend it until he's started getting used to counting macros and dieting at least
EDIT: plasma basically already said this, I fucked up.

ghost55
1/24/2015 6:57pm,
Firstly, welcome to my fellow Strayan!

secondly, this is good advice theoretically ghost, but in practice hard as **** to stick to, so I wouldn't recommend it until he's started getting used to counting macros and dieting at least
EDIT: plasma basically already said this, I fucked up.

It's what I started doing around the time I first joined Bullshido. It's a hard line to draw at first, but you soon realize there is a ton of tasty stuff out there you can eat. Such as massive piles of bacon. Delicious bacon.

Jazz The Boxer
1/24/2015 7:20pm,
Thanks guys

I chucked on 3kg over two weeks of eating crap & drinking to much over Christmas. I wear a pedometer & at work I average 12,000 - 18,000 steps a day, over Christmas it was 1,200 LOL, that’s a lot of trips from the couch to the fridge and back ;-)

The past couple of weeks I’ve been focusing on ensuring that I eat a healthy breakfast instead of buying crap on my way to work. I start at 4.30am so I’m a little pushed for time.

My breakfast has been a healthy smoothie. I can’t see anything wrong with this as breakfast but feel free to pull me up on it.

1/2 - 1 banana
1 cup milk (Almond or Rice milk)
1 cup mixed berries or mango (frozen)
Green Tea leaves (from a tea bag - seriously you don’t taste it)
Amla Powder (it’s supposed to have off the chart anti-oxidents)
1 - 2 tablespoons of probiotic yoghurt
A bit of honey

I’m a little unsure how to go about strength & conditioning on top of training. At this stage of the game though I think that the BJJ / MMA / open mat will be more than enough considering my current poor physical condition.

My favourite online source for fitness advice / inspiration is Ross Boxing. I have a couple of his books but they’re doing me just as much good as the sledgehammer in my garden shed, the jump rope in my spare room & my push bike in my garage

Thanks again, I do hope to be able to contribute to the forum in a positive way at some stage in the future.

gregaquaman
1/24/2015 10:34pm,
We had a diet comp on this forum. And i won it with the plus one minus one diet. Plus one bit of exercise minus one bit of eating ****. And then just keep adding to it.

what gym are you at?

soft touch
1/24/2015 11:48pm,
It's what I started doing around the time I first joined Bullshido. It's a hard line to draw at first, but you soon realize there is a ton of tasty stuff out there you can eat. Such as massive piles of bacon. Delicious bacon.
There are many things, but it's still sometimes hard to adjust quickly, especially if work and family mean you can't just completely rework your meals

We had a diet comp on this forum. And i won it with the plus one minus one diet. Plus one bit of exercise minus one bit of eating ****. And then just keep adding to it.

what gym are you at?
I'm a big fan of this methodology for most people
personally I find calorie counting helps me, but really I think one would know what **** you're eating for the most part even without it

also to the new guy, listen to Greg. he has a tie dyed gi. listen to him.

Jazz The Boxer
1/25/2015 1:01am,

what gym are you at?

The Australian Combat Academy in Strathpine. The guys (and gals) there come across as people I’d love to associate with. The Pro Fighter is Dean “the Punisher” Purdon seems to be a stand up guy and the owner Jason "The Pacifist” Lonergan is a fighter. He takes the Krav classes so him being a legit fighter lends a lot of credence to my mind. To be fair though when I do take the Krav classes I wont be some fan boy. To paraphrase the great Bruce Lee “Take what works for you, disregard the rest”. The best link for the club and Dean is on Facebook

The other club I’m interested in looking at is Garra BJJ, Lawnton at Real Fitness Studio. Soz but I can’t currently post links :-(

My noob fighting goal is one where I’m standing and the fool attacking me is on the ground from a throw / sweep / trip.

A reality based self defence instructor (Mr Cooper Ali Shabazz ... google Shabazz defence West End ... his old site) whom I hold in enormous regard showed me some stuff & we talked strategy / philosophy. A long time ago he taught me Osohi Gari (he didn’t call it that... he didn’t call it anything actually), but his latest strategy for the takedown was standing on their foot and pushing them in the chest. Flat on their arse LOL.

cualltaigh
1/25/2015 4:44am,
G'Day Jazz, welcome to the site! There's a few of us now in SEQ so who knows, we might all even got to meet up and punch each other in the face!

Either of those gyms would be a good option, though I would say stay with ACA as while BJJ is no doubt an excellent self defence martial art, learning to use your jits while you're being mounted and GnP'd is a whole different level of ability. Notwithstanding any bias of course (One of our fighters faced Dean in an amateur bout at Fury in Caloundra).

https://www.facebook.com/australiancombatacademy/timeline?ref=page_internal

https://m.facebook.com/RealFitnessLawnton

Shabazz, eh?!

MikeD81
1/25/2015 5:22am,
Jazz best of luck with the training. In terms of exercise I'd suggest looking at the Couch25K website as it gives you a good lead in to improving you're cardio: http://www.c25k.com/ - which means you;ll get more out of your training when you're a the gym.

In terms of resistance work focus on exercises that use a lot of muscle groups: bench press, seated rows, squats, push-ups, lat pull down, lunges, core stability work. They're a good return on time & effort particularly if you are only just starting out. 2-3 sessions a week is all you need, start of easy getting into the hang of it, don;t wreck yourself doing weights one day which will mean you miss out on matwork the next. Might do to check out this site: http://www.exrx.net/index.html it's good some good instructional info.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you've got any questions.