PDA

View Full Version : Tae Kwon Do vs Karate (article)

Pages : [1] 2

Freddy
5/11/2004 4:50pm,
http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1992/oct92/taekwondo/taekwondo.html

En
5/11/2004 4:58pm,
Pressure- point attacks are also part of the shorinryu repertoire.

Pressure points? Is it just me, or is the only pressure point I've ever found effective was the temple. And only when one person jams their elbow into your temple after trapping your head from a failed guard pass.

Wait. I'm focusing on details when the entire thing is flawed. Disregard.

Matt Bernius
5/11/2004 5:02pm,
I got as far as:

Tae kwon do, which means "the way of fist and foot fighting," is a modern hybrid of earlier Korean styles, and includes some Japanese and Chinese influences to lesser degrees. Some of the martial arts which have been integrated into tee kwon do include hwarang-do, tang soo do, soo teak do, and tee kyon, which was known for its elaborate kicking methods. These same kicking methods are the trademark of modern tee kwon do.

And had to stop. It's really sad that a once "major" Martial Arts pub doesn't do any fact checking (or perhaps never did).

- Matt

Deluxe247
5/11/2004 5:14pm,
Freddy , stop posting links without adding some of your insight/opinions. I used to wonder why that rule was in the noob faq untill these types of postings started pissing me off, especially when they are about TKD.

bunyip
5/11/2004 5:15pm,
Hm. They conclude that TKD and karate are different. That's some groundbreaking research right there.

MaverickZ
5/11/2004 5:16pm,
WTF!? since when does TKD include any hwarang-do?

and why does that guy insist on calling tae kwon do, tee kwan do?

En
5/11/2004 5:18pm,
Seriously though, what the hell was the point of that article? "THIS IS MY REASRCH PAPRER: WHY TAE BO AND KARATE AER DIFFRNT".

MaverickZ
5/11/2004 5:24pm,
ya know, i've been looking at the photos from that article, and the techniques all look so awkward

Shuma-Gorath
5/11/2004 5:27pm,
Knowing Black Belt, it's which art has prettier forms or will make your school more money.

Edit: Oh wait, that's not it. They just conclude absolutely nothing. At least this way I didn't have to flip through eleventy billion ads for SCARS, TRS and Adrian Roman to read beyond the first three paragraphs.

Mouthfire
5/11/2004 6:08pm,
As a former Shorin-Ryu practitioner, even I gotta say those techniques look funky.

Freddy
5/11/2004 6:10pm,
Originally posted by Deluxe247
Freddy , stop posting links without adding some of your insight/opinions. I used to wonder why that rule was in the noob faq untill these types of postings started pissing me off, especially when they are about TKD.

I added this because i thought others might find it interesting. Even though it may be amusing.:)

Ippatsu182
5/11/2004 6:46pm,
Originally posted by MaverickZ
why does that guy insist on calling tae kwon do, tee kwan do?

It's probably because most people mispronounce it. The Japanese pronunciation sounds like "tie," while the Korean pronunciation actually sounds like "tay." Since it's Korean and not Japanese it should actually sound like "tay kwon do."

Romanization of foreign words is always difficult because the vowel sounds/combinations are always different.

GAB corp.
5/11/2004 6:49pm,
Spelling mistakes and no references and what the hell with the pressure points O_o

I give this paper an F.

Shug
5/11/2004 7:00pm,
I concur

Phoenix
5/11/2004 7:11pm,
Man, it's because of crappy articles like that that I hate Black Belt Mag...oh, that and the friggin articles that try to peddle me useless, overpriced ****.

MaverickZ
5/11/2004 8:03pm,
Originally posted by Ippatsu182
It's probably because most people mispronounce it. The Japanese pronunciation sounds like "tie," while the Korean pronunciation actually sounds like "tay." Since it's Korean and not Japanese it should actually sound like "tay kwon do."

Romanization of foreign words is always difficult because the vowel sounds/combinations are always different.

you're completely right, but he chose tee, like "ti" and under one of the pictures he even has "tea", i dunno go figure.