PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the Shell:Live action movie

Pages : [1] 2

danharr
1/09/2015 10:40pm,
Hot white chick will play a hot Japanese chick?.... Okay then guess we'll get to the Anglicizing of foreign works later but whether we like it or not it's coming. Any fans of the work plan on seeing this when it comes out?

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2015/01/05/Scarlett-Johansson-to-star-in-Ghost-in-the-Shell/4011420487975/

ghost55
1/09/2015 11:54pm,
Only to make fun of it. Stand Alone Complex was a goddamn masterpiece. Hollywood will obviously **** it up.

Ice Hole
1/10/2015 12:53am,
They'll do to this exactly what they did to Aeon Flux.

danharr
1/10/2015 12:15pm,
Sober and not full of whiskey rage I have to ask myself. Am I really going to pass up Scarlett Johanssen in tights kicking ass...

goodlun
1/10/2015 2:40pm,
At first I was all excited cause I saw this Steven Spielberg acquired the rights to adapt the manga at DreamWorks in 2009.
Then I noticed this.
Rupert Sanders and Bill Wheeler.
I expect the movie to be watchable.
If I accept that the move will not actually be "Ghost in the shell" and watch it without any expectations of it being "Ghost in the shell" it might even be enjoyable for what it is.
This to me tends to be a good strategy for any thing adapted.

ermghoti
1/10/2015 3:09pm,
They'll do to this exactly what they did to Aeon Flux.

Not necessarily. They could do what they did to World War Z.

Ice Hole
1/10/2015 4:28pm,
Sober and not full of whiskey rage I have to ask myself. Am I really going to pass up Scarlett Johanssen in tights kicking ass...

Motoko Kusanagi is way cooler and hotter, and she's just graphic art.

Johanssen in purple hair will basically be like cosplay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

http://i.imgur.com/uAwDX1j.jpg

ghost55
1/10/2015 6:22pm,
I doubt Hollywood will keep the purple hair.

danharr
1/10/2015 9:41pm,
Hell if they keep the name will they have to go with a half Japanese storyline?

Ice Hole
1/10/2015 9:51pm,
My true style is Panzer Kunst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4Az9subL4

goodlun
1/11/2015 4:35am,
Hell if they keep the name will they have to go with a half Japanese storyline?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDBcF5i3bdM

Hadzu
1/11/2015 2:02pm,
It's weird to me that Hollywood takes an interest in adapting anime and the like to the silver screen (aside from the recently decided rule that every movie made needs to be an adaptation/remake/sequel), especially when they do such a crappy job of actually doing the source material justice. The way I see it, Joe Moviegoer won't have heard of Ghost in the Shell, and won't care if it has anything to do with the anime or is just a mediocre sci-fi flick; ergo, the name doesn't matter to him. On the other hand, the actual fans of the show, to whom the name actually means anything, will invariably be pissed at the inevitable deviations from the source material (and objectively subpar quality, more often than not).

What I'm saying is, since movies like this rarely follow the source material very closely, why bother using the name and half-heartedly cling to its story? Most of the viewers probably won't recognize it as an adaptation, and the ones that do will just be pissed off that something they like is being shitted up on the big screen. Pacific Rim basically managed to be a mecha-robo-anime-movie without actually being one, so it's possible to just be kind of unoriginal instead of doing outright adaptations. Then again, I guess there's always gonna be fans that grudgingly go see it, despite their premonition that it's going to eat.

TheMightyMcClaw
1/11/2015 4:12pm,
It's amazing how far Hollywood will go to avoid giving an Asian actor a lead role.

Ice Hole
1/11/2015 7:59pm,
It's amazing how far Hollywood will go to avoid giving an Asian actor a lead role.

It's funny because so many anime/manga characters aren't drawn to look Asian, even if they are. I think it adds to the universal appeal of the art.

TheMightyMcClaw
1/11/2015 10:15pm,
It's funny because so many anime/manga characters aren't drawn to look Asian, even if they are. I think it adds to the universal appeal of the art.

Unless they're Chinese. For whatever reason, Japanese characters, Westerners, and space aliens will typically be drawn with the same "giant round eyes and spiky pink hair" which matches exactly no ethnic group on the planet earth, but Chinese characters will typically be drawn with smooth black hair and distinctively Asian facial structures.

Mr. Machette
1/12/2015 12:03am,
Johanssen in purple hair will basically be like cosplay.

Johanssen can cosplay Major Kusanagi on my media stream ANYTIME!

JMHO. ;)