PDA

View Full Version : Training for Mixed Martial Arts; not Cross-Training...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blad3
5/11/2004 9:40am,
If you want to train for MMA, and you like MMA and want to learn MMA, guess what you should train? MMA.

In which of those single arts are you going to learn ground and pound?

BJJ is with the Gi and you probably won't be taught much No-Gi unless the intructor specializes in No-Gi. Even if the intructor does you aren't going to learn GnP and get used to it - strikes on the ground. Then there's takedowns - they can bypass the guard altogether and stun the person being taken down. If you want to get it to the ground you have got to learn how through wrestling at least, there is very little "pure wrestling" in the UK overall, the most likely place you'll it find is at MMA gyms...

Same goes for kickboxing and wrestling (although I think wrestling is effected the least) - they're both modified in MMA. Kickboxing: - much smaller gloves in MMA (less protection for the head and body, hurts hands more to strike, you might not be able to strike as much), you need to heavily modify for takedowns, get used to not dropping your guard for the takedowns, clinch is modified heavily; you are in it for longer, punching is easier and takedowns and throws are added etc etc. Wrestling - you are going to get striked at if you hold on for more than a few seconds, the clinch game is modified - you can use strikes to help take your opponent to the mat or to a KO etc etc.

Training everything seperately isn't MMA - it's "cross-training"; you need to train in Mixed Martial Arts/NHB to be doing MMA. Even if you do train seperately you are almost definitely going to have to train everything together eventually, plus the MMA specific moves and especially before a match - you need as much training in MMA as possible.

If you're in London there is 11+ MMA gyms now, so there's no excuse. In America there seems to be many gyms per state for the most part.

I was going to go down the BJJ, MT, wrestling and 1x a week MMA route, now I'm deciding on training with ppl who know MMA, who train for it etc...

To reiterate - if you genuinely like and might want to do MMA, why not train in it? Maybe because: 1) You really think training everything seperately is a good idea; you don't want to intergrate, 2) There are no MMA gyms in your area...

About Ground and Pound only being effective for heavier people - Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto? Possibly the best p4p GnPer there is - he's a lightweight (only just.) It's effective for whatever size you are, but like everything in fighting it's better for the heavier ppl. You need to train for and against it though.

Remember also that a lot of ppl entering MMA at first were already BJJ black belts - they were doing BJJ most likely before they even knew what MMA was, or before they wanted to be a MMAist. The same goes for champion kickboxers and wrestlers - they wanted to do kickboxing; wrestling not MMA. If you want to train for MMA the fastest and most effective way is to train in MMA, which is what most the new MMAists (Quinton Jackson etc, and some of the old like Silva) are doing now IMO...

Also I think you'll be conditioned better to fight in MMA if you train specifically in MMA a lot, where you use the combination of arts and MMA-specific/only moves...

SLJ
5/11/2004 9:42am,
Thanks Blad3.

Blad3
5/11/2004 9:48am,
np. :)

SLJ
5/11/2004 9:50am,
Blade, do you know where I can DL some BJJ competition clips for free ?

The_Dude73
5/11/2004 10:04am,
CSW is training for MMA. We have some classes where we are on the ground grappling with gloves for light punching and never do a submission. Or how to use striking to set up takedowns and submissions. Good stuff. But I think it's good to have a good grappling base to start from.

Blad3
5/11/2004 10:13am,
"Blade, do you know where I can DL some BJJ competition clips for free ? Private msged u..

The_Dude73 agreed, you do grappling with striking. If u want to train for MMA and like MMA why do grappling only always? You'll get a good base when you train MMA. Like you said - you train MMA there not just grappling (and if it is you're training it specifically for MMA, the intructor knows and is catering for your MMA needs)...

The_Dude73
5/11/2004 10:20am,
I like MMA training, but I also like training in BJJ, just because. I enjoy the aspects of both.

I have no delusions of someday trying to become a pro fighter. I may try some amateur matchups down the road, but that'd likely be it. This sort of argument has more application to someone who is hungry to be a pro.

Blad3
5/11/2004 10:26am,
That's what I'm talking about, someone who wants to be Pro or best their amateur game or maybe for someone who simply wants to just get good at MMA...

I understand how you enjoy both.

Ryu
5/11/2004 1:13pm,
Really good post.

There's a world of difference when sparring in the seperate ranges and then sparring going from one to the other naturally.

I'm only 5'8 but G&P has been extremely effective for me even against bigger opponents. Definitely not just for the "heavies."

Ryu

Blad3
5/11/2004 1:22pm,
thx for the reply Ryu.

Strong Machine
5/11/2004 10:31pm,
Blad is obviously correct.
Although BJ Penn won a world title in BJJ then went on to be the top MMAer.If he had done MMA from the beginning, I think he'd be AT LEAST as good.
I consider other combat sports are weigh stations.
They are stops along the road.
Many aren't ready for MMA.They need a few years in MT or BJJ first.
Gnp IS A GOOD EXAMPLE.
Cause only MMA guy know that it is alot harder than it looks to get in solid shots on a guy with a good guard.
Another example is sprawl and brawl.
Ive known terrific wrestlers that can be easily taken down when they punch.
In fact, I've known guys that can strike AND wrestle, but who still had to learn how to stay up WHILE striking.
It is quite alot different.
A problem has arisen because MMA is a misnomer.
For one thing, it is a combination of sports, not really arts.
And another thing is that it is IT'S OWN style.
K1 was started as a way for MT, karate and kung fuers to fight.
But now they are all called K1 fighters.

Blad3
5/12/2004 8:03am,
MMA is a style.

WhiteShark
5/12/2004 9:01am,
Originally posted by Blad3
MMA is a style.

No it's not it's a ruleset.

Shooter
5/12/2004 9:24am,
wow...integration! What a concept! Oh wait...Tai Chi Chuan has had that as its basic formula for about a century now. Bruce Lee used the same idea in formulating whatever he was doing. Thought it had a hint of familiarity.

nevermind...

Blad3
5/12/2004 9:28am,
MMA is practised as a style.

SLJ
5/12/2004 9:28am,
Tai Chi is far too deadly, please take it elsewhere.

And be carefull.