PDA

View Full Version : BJJ schools in NYC?

ViciousFlamingo
11/03/2014 2:51am,
Hey bullies, I’m moving to NYC and am looking for recommendations for places to train. My focus is primarily BJJ/submission grappling/sambo, with Muay Thai, wrestling and MMA as secondary interests.

I’m going to be living in Bushwick near the Chauncey St. stop on the J, so I’d prefer something close to there by public transit. Also I’ll be working near 50th St. & 8th Ave. and so I'll consider schools in Manhattan in case I can’t find a suitable place in Brooklyn.

I think my upper limit for cost is ~$250 / month, although obviously I’d prefer less.

I’ve already done some searches and dug through old threads, and some of the places I’m considering are:
Birdman BJJ
Ronin Athletics
Combat Judo
Green Point MMA
Vitor Shaolin BJJ
Una Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Class One MMA
NY Combat Sambo
Marcelo Garcia BJJ
Alliance BJJ
Renzo Gracie Brooklyn
Evolution Muay Thai
NY Sanda
Radical MMA

Information (contracts, atmosphere, teaching styles, drama alerts), opinions, and approximate pricing would be much appreciated.

plasma
11/03/2014 3:11am,
Every time I am in NYC I train at Marcelo Garcia BJJ.

Ming Loyalist
11/03/2014 10:30am,
i would think that NYCS and MG would both be pretty easy for you to get to from work. i can tell you that if i wasn't going to my judo dojo i would be at one of those two places without a doubt.

that being said, i know that garry st. leger is with renzo's brooklyn gym, and his judo is top notch (BJJ too) so you probably can't go wrong there either.

if you ever start to miss judo, you should come drop by the KBI for randori some time, we'd be glad to have you visit!

goodlun
11/03/2014 11:11am,
Marcelo Garcia really narrows down an otherwise good list pretty quickly.

goshinbudoJJ
11/03/2014 11:44am,
I train at Marcelo's, it is jiu jitsu heaven. 220/month for unlimited classes, annual contract. And you get access to MGINAction.com w/ the contract.

Paul Schreiner is probably the most technical BJJ instructor on the planet. Bernardo Faria is no slouch either. Although he's just recovering from ACL surgery, Marcelo is on the mats or teaching pretty much every day.

Renzo's is great too, they have more MMA style training (MT etc.) and a much bigger facility (and John Danaher). For pure BJJ/grappling though, you can't beat MG. I roll with world champs daily and the guys could not be nicer/humbler. The current crop of brown belts are the best in the world, hands down.

Come down for a few trial classes (I think if you already train they give you two free days of training before you have to commit to anything).

goshinbudoJJ
11/03/2014 11:47am,
Dan Covel, who also trains with me at MG, runs the BJJ program at NYSANDA. Dan is an awesome dude and a sick grappler (I think he just won No Gi pans at black belt). He's also been doing judo since he was six so he's got stand up game too.

ViciousFlamingo
11/03/2014 1:23pm,
Thanks, good information all around. Gonna have to check out Marcelo's, Renzo's, NYCS and NY Sanda!

And Ming, I'll make a stop by your dojo some time so we can get some randori in. :) It'll have to be mostly newaza though, I have a back injury that unfortunately keeps me away from working throws.

W. Rabbit
11/03/2014 1:25pm,
Sorry to see you leaving the Garden State. If you ever want a NJ bully to roll with, hit me up via PM.

+1 for MG, just my humble opinion.

Ming Loyalist
11/03/2014 1:41pm,
Thanks, good information all around. Gonna have to check out Marcelo's, Renzo's, NYCS and NY Sanda!

And Ming, I'll make a stop by your dojo some time so we can get some randori in. :) It'll have to be mostly newaza though, I have a back injury that unfortunately keeps me away from working throws.

nice, it would be nice to see you again... we have a newaza-only class on saturday you could check out.

goshinbudoJJ
11/03/2014 1:47pm,
Sorry to see you leaving the Garden State. If you ever want a NJ bully to roll with, hit me up via PM.

+1 for MG, just my humble opinion.

Rabbit, you still training with Emily Kwok?

W. Rabbit
11/03/2014 4:10pm,
Rabbit, you still training with Emily Kwok?

Yeah my son and I both train with her. I don't get to go nearly as often as I would like due to work schedule but I'm shooting for more mixed/open class time in the near future.

She and her co-instructors are amazing. I have nothing but praise for the curriculum there, it's a great place to train.

ViciousFlamingo
11/03/2014 4:53pm,
Yeah my son and I both train with her. I don't get to go nearly as often as I would like due to work schedule but I'm shooting for more mixed/open class time in the near future.

She and her co-instructors are amazing. I have nothing but praise for the curriculum there, it's a great place to train.

Second that, Emily and Art are terrific and really nice people to boot. Haha Rabbit, we may have trained together.

goshinbudoJJ
11/03/2014 4:54pm,
Yeah, I've heard great things about Emily and the crew down in Princeton. Been trying to get my wife to attend one of her Groundswell Grappling camps but it hasn't worked out due to logistics.

Let me know if you ever stop by the mothership :)

ViciousFlamingo
11/03/2014 5:04pm,
Yeah, I've heard great things about Emily and the crew down in Princeton. Been trying to get my wife to attend one of her Groundswell Grappling camps but it hasn't worked out due to logistics.

Let me know if you ever stop by the mothership :)

I'll holler, I know I'm gonna have stop by at some point no matter what. :)

Jack Rusher
11/05/2014 8:45am,
Yeah my son and I both train with [Emily Kwok]. She and her co-instructors are amazing.

Emily Kwok is a great instructor. I trained with her often at Marcelo's gym a few years ago.