PDA

View Full Version : Donn Draegger, Jon Bluming, rory miller investigation

hatori banzo
10/28/2014 1:59am,
The "great" Donn Draeggers Japanophilia is legendary, but has anyone been able to confirm his massive military credentials and service in WW2 and the
Korean war, particularly Iwojima? Same with Jon Blumming who also claims to have fought in the Korean war.

Both of these individuals are known for being secretive about their past, and I have not been able to locate a single photo of either one of the two in military uniform. It's possible that Draegger was a marine, but maybe this was after the war? That's the typical bushido thing..

The other individual in question with the massive credentials and certificate that he likes to hang on his dojo wall, is Rory Miller who claims to have been a Swat team Sergeant. Can't find any info here either.

Resonance10
10/28/2014 6:52am,
The "great" Donn Draeggers Japanophilia is legendary, but has anyone been able to confirm his massive military credentials and service in WW2 and the
Korean war, particularly Iwojima? Same with Jon Blumming who also claims to have fought in the Korean war.

Both of these individuals are known for being secretive about their past, and I have not been able to locate a single photo of either one of the two in military uniform. It's possible that Draegger was a marine, but maybe this was after the war? That's the typical bushido thing..

The other individual in question with the massive credentials and certificate that he likes to hang on his dojo wall, is Rory Miller who claims to have been a Swat team Sergeant. Can't find any info here either.

You need to read the Forum FAQS. This does not belong here.

What's your beef with Draeger?
What's your beef with Miller apart from his 'massive credentials'?
If you have doubts YOU need to do the research, if it looks like they have substance your claims may draw interest.

Right now you just sound like a jealous bitch.

tgace
10/28/2014 7:34am,
I believe Miller was a corrections officer and that his SWAT claims stem from being a member of his prisons special response unit. Those guys do things like chase escapees, cell extractions and riot control.... If they ever happen.

PointyShinyBurn
10/28/2014 7:42am,
Draeger was a marine, here is a database with a 14-day free trial that contains their records from those years, go nuts: http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1089&cj=1&netid=cj&o_xid=0000584978&o_lid=0000584978&o_sch=Affiliate+External

DCS
10/28/2014 8:11am,
I don't see Rory Milller claims of being a SWAT in is website bio. What can be read there is: "I was named to the CERT (Corrections Emergency Response Team) and was made the DT and Hand-to-Hand instructor for the team. I was also promoted to sergeant." http://www.chirontraining.com/Site/Bio.html

Regarding Bluming, you could ask Dutch Ministry of Defense at http://www.defensie.nl/english/topics/military-history-collections/contents/genealogy/army

BKR
10/28/2014 11:23am,
Mods, please move this to YMAS, obvious troll is obvious.

hatori banzo
10/29/2014 1:47am,
I don't see Rory Milller claims of being a SWAT in is website bio. What can be read there is: "I was named to the CERT (Corrections Emergency Response Team) and was made the DT and Hand-to-Hand instructor for the team. I was also promoted to sergeant." http://www.chirontraining.com/Site/Bio.html

Regarding Bluming, you could ask Dutch Ministry of Defense at http://www.defensie.nl/english/topics/military-history-collections/contents/genealogy/army

Yeah, I'm going to have to spend time on Draeger.

Two of these individuals have been listed on this forum for making claims in the past about their martial arts credentials, and maybe it is possible that Miller worked in a privately run corrections facility? THere are no photos of him with any form of police badge/identification to say that he was a member of the police force, so maybe he is a private contractor? Same with Iraq. Yes he does say that he "was" a SWAT sergeant, but there are no photos.

"Lt" Grossman is known to inflate his credentials.

Stonehorn
10/29/2014 2:18pm,
Many aspects of Jon Bluming are questionable. However, there is no dispute here in the Netherlands about his partaking in the Korean war. Bluming enlisted as a 17 year old young man and was wounded three times in combat. There are several pictures of him in uniform in the autobiography he wrote a couple of years back and in old Dutch Martial Arts magazines. Let me know if you want me to post any.

If in doubt e-mail VOKS (Vereninging Oud Korea Strijders): [email protected]

bassaiguy
1/21/2015 7:53am,
Draegger's history has been featured in several articles in the Journal of Asian Martial Arts. I have their 1999 edition with three biographical articles in it. They can be ordered inexpensively online. Draegger was also featured in Smith's book, Martial Musings. Finally, Classical Fighting Arts recently (sometime in the past two years) had an interview with Morio Higaonna in which he speaks highly of Draegger's skill and training, although there is no mention of his military service.

It appears that Draegger was a USMC captain prior to leaving the service and he was assigned to both Korea and Japan. I'm not sure what his combat status was. It is also pretty clear that he was a very self-centered individual who abandoned his family to pursue his samurai dreams, was opinionated to the extreme and died alone and in poverty. Not my idea of a hero. (Bluming OTOH seems like he would have been a riot to have a beer with).

Stonehorn
1/28/2015 2:22pm,
For those in doubt of Bluming's Karate skills, watch the video below:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204897427828934&pnref=story

imoboy
1/29/2015 2:43am,
What is the point of trying to denigrate Donn Draeger? I have been familiar with his scholarly contributions, and his works on Judo, etc. for many years, however I have never seen anything from him that described his military service in detail, nor anything that resembled inflated claims of valor.
You need to read the Forum FAQS. This does not belong here.

What's your beef with Draeger?
What's your beef with Miller apart from his 'massive credentials'?
If you have doubts YOU need to do the research, if it looks like they have substance your claims may draw interest.

Right now you just sound like a jealous bitch.