PDA

View Full Version : Shane Fazen gives shitty knife defense advice

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ghost55
9/25/2014 7:15am,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMkdx5fnOg&list=UUlKgO_YP3pcIVeav2g_k6hw

And adopts one of the most regrettable hairstyles known to mankind. Seriously. What the **** was he thinking?

soft touch
9/25/2014 8:17am,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMkdx5fnOg&list=UUlKgO_YP3pcIVeav2g_k6hw

And adopts one of the most regrettable hairstyles known to mankind. Seriously. What the **** was he thinking?
Oh ****.

'The safest place is far away from the knife' wow you motherfucking prodigious kid.

my favourite part is when he says to transition into an americana without explaining it; if you know what an americana is I don't think you're watching that ****. Second favourite is how effortlessly this relatively small woman forces the attacker's hand around with only her fingers on his arm, not even an actual grip

regarding haircut: kill me please

side note/question for people who grapple much more than me and know their ****: aren't kimuras typically done using a grip WITH thumb?

Sent from my GT-I9100

wingchunx2z
9/25/2014 8:47am,
Oh ****.

'The safest place is far away from the knife' wow you motherfucking prodigious kid.

my favourite part is when he says to transition into an americana without explaining it; if you know what an americana is I don't think you're watching that ****. Second favourite is how effortlessly this relatively small woman forces the attacker's hand around with only her fingers on his arm, not even an actual grip

regarding haircut: kill me please

side note/question for people who grapple much more than me and know their ****: aren't kimuras typically done using a grip WITH thumb?

Sent from my GT-I9100

I actually found very little wrong with that video. The not explaining the americana is kinda bad, but it's more of a concept video then a how to. Also, most people use the monkey grip (no thumb) to finish shoulder locks. It makes it harder to straighten the arm and break out.

ghost55
9/25/2014 8:58am,
I actually found very little wrong with that video. The not explaining the americana is kinda bad, but it's more of a concept video then a how to. Also, most people use the monkey grip (no thumb) to finish shoulder locks. It makes it harder to straighten the arm and break out.

Nope. I've always used my thumb when going for a kimura. More control that way.

Chili Pepper
9/25/2014 9:07am,
Get a grip on the wrist, to prevent him from stabbing multiple times ... oh, if only the woman had actually managed to do that, even once. I thought only aikidoka bloviated about grabbing wrists in motion.

jspeedy
9/25/2014 9:14am,
The explanation and technique shown in the video was lacking but I suppose what he demo-ed in the video is an option. I didn't think the technique was that outlandish for the situation. I'm more curious as how you get a guy with a knife in your guard? You'd probably have been pincushioned quite a few times to get to that point. Unless of course you assume you get a guy in your guard and he draws a knife, in which case if ask how the hell you let a guy access his weapon while in your guard. You should be breaking his posture and working sweeps, he'd have to fight to keep his balance so drawing a weapon shouldn't be an option at that point.

soft touch
9/25/2014 9:37am,
Oh yeah I should also add I guess it is a relatively okay technique to use.... but if a dude with a knife is in my guard I'm fucked already and no amount of advice is going to fix that unless I get really lucky and the guy has mental issues.

(additional contribution to the thumb or no thumb kimura debate would be appreciated, thanks)

Sent from my GT-I9100

jspeedy
9/25/2014 10:08am,
Yeah, thats my main observance, you're probably fucked if a guy has a knife while in your guard. The simplest solution would be don't end up in this situation. Knife work in the guard is an interesting experience but probably not realistic. Not that I'm speaking from any kind of experience, just speculation. I'd think if anything a knife draw could happen at a scramble or any point of transition. I'd expect he guard would be one of the last places a draw could happen half guard, side control, mount maybe but you've got a lot of control from the guard.

ghost55
9/25/2014 10:46am,
My thought was that if you end up in guard and the other guy has a knife you almost deserve what is coming. Seriously. reaction times at that range are really too short for that kind of thing.

Permalost
9/25/2014 11:51am,
In my experience the worst thing about being knifed from the guard is a forward grip stab to the taint.

Hadzu
9/25/2014 12:21pm,
(additional contribution to the thumb or no thumb kimura debate would be appreciated, thanks)

This is coming from a relative noob (1 year JJJ, 9 months BJJ), so keep that in mind. From what I've been told, as well as what I've deduced from personal experience, the thumb-grip is commonly used when initially grabbing Uke's wrist, simply because the pincer-like motion makes it easier to get a hold of the thing. When grabbing your own wrist with your other hand, many prefer to use a no-thumb grip (AKA monkey-grip) because while it affords less control in and of itself than the thumb-grip might, it provides a stronger grip in one direction, and control is maintained by Uke's arm being leveraged against your other arm. When both your arms are where they're supposed to be, some will monkey-grip with both hands, some don't bother, and some just go thumb-grip all the way; it's a matter of preference to a large extent.

Not sure if my rambly explanation actually accomplished anything except brand me as a babbling newbie, but there you go.

PS: For what it's worth, I usually see monkey-grips when people execute Kimuras/Americanas from side control, and less so when doing Kimuras from guard.

surferdude
9/25/2014 12:30pm,
If I fail so badly at everything up to the point, that I end up on the bottom v. a knife wielding assailant in a real life or death situation? Well, I think I will help him stab me.

On another note: I have seen this guy's stuff before, when linked to from forums. I have concluded he is so far up his own butt he would need his smart phone gps and flash light app to find his way out.

ChenPengFi
9/25/2014 12:43pm,
I've rolled with concealed training blades, deployment from in guard is totally possible and feasible.
I even had a relevant "street" encounter.

I learned "no thumb" as the correct way to monkey grip/Kimura.

jspeedy
9/25/2014 4:36pm,
In my experience the worst thing about being knifed from the guard is a forward grip stab to the taint.

Tried to plus rep this post from my phone, neg ripped accidentally, I'll get you back w a plus rep.

soft touch
9/25/2014 6:43pm,
I cringed and let out some kind of dying animal sound..

thanks for the info on kimura gripping, seems like it's a bit of a personal preference thing, with the thumb grip easier to get in the first place, but the no thumb easier to crank it? or did I misunderstand all your comments

Sent from my GT-I9100

ghost55
9/25/2014 6:59pm,
I cringed and let out some kind of dying animal sound..

thanks for the info on kimura gripping, seems like it's a bit of a personal preference thing, with the thumb grip easier to get in the first place, but the no thumb easier to crank it? or did I misunderstand all your comments

Sent from my GT-I9100

thumb on the arm grabbing the wrist, no thumb on the hand doing the cranking.