PDA

View Full Version : Wo Wo Wo She's a Lady

Pages : [1] 2 3

BKR
9/05/2014 10:57am,
https://yt3.ggpht.com/-qoFU-WF3PQc/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/c0FD5xRjwNE/s100-c-k-no/photo.jpg

Watched the silliness of the sogobujutsu guy vis a vis warrior arts and modern military, and found the Lady.

As a purely grappling type of guy, I don't think I'm qualified to say anything serious about weapons work.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRQmj1ILcY-3_9LjJLnFhpw

Fuzzy
9/05/2014 11:14am,
Oh look, gun disarms.

Edit to add some actual content: Her single stick work is weird, its like she's doing the right things, just really slowly and not cleanly.

Pharabus
9/05/2014 11:15am,
Baby got back!

BKR
9/05/2014 11:26am,
Baby got back!

Let's try to keep the degrading sexist comments out, please, and focus on the technical aspects.

BKR
9/05/2014 11:27am,
Oh look, gun disarms.

Edit to add some actual content: Her single stick work is weird, its like she's doing the right things, just really slowly and not cleanly.

Looks self taught, or more beginner level ? Or both?

BKR
9/05/2014 11:32am,
Maybe this is helpful...from youtube cover page

LadySenseiNewYork posted 6 days ago

"Lady Sensei New York" is a panoramic look at a baby boomer who began training in martial arts at 44 years of age. The clips presented here, are the silent third eye of the camera. She and her Ninjutsu instructor, Professor Ronald Duncan, O'Sensei worked and practiced much over the years. Through the beauty of film, you will watch her grow and develop as a practitioner, learning weaponry of all sorts. We thank you for watching, and we thank you for supporting women in the martial arts. Osu.

Ming Loyalist
9/05/2014 12:55pm,
*facepalm*

"o'sensei"?? really?

BKR
9/05/2014 1:48pm,
*facepalm*

"o'sensei"?? really?

Plenty of references to Irish sensei in that neck of the uTube world...

Ming Loyalist
9/05/2014 2:02pm,
Plenty of references to Irish sensei in that neck of the uTube world...

the sad thing is that these ass clowns are local to me :(

it never ceases to amaze me that with *so many* amazing places to train in NYC and yet people still give these pretenders their money.

Fuzzy
9/05/2014 3:19pm,
Looks self taught, or more beginner level ? Or both?

My guess, and bear in mind this is just me speculating here, is that she was taught by someone (maybe her ninjutsu teacher?) who included some FMA in their regular material after a short course. It definitely looks like uninformed imitation to me.

BKR
9/05/2014 3:33pm,
the sad thing is that these ass clowns are local to me :(

it never ceases to amaze me that with *so many* amazing places to train in NYC and yet people still give these pretenders their money.

Maybe you should go take some tai jutsu lessons to help out with your Judo. Might make you look more aesthetically pleasing when doing randori. Perhaps some knife-hand kumi kata too...

BKR
9/05/2014 3:34pm,
My guess, and bear in mind this is just me speculating here, is that she was taught by someone (maybe her ninjutsu teacher?) who included some FMA in their regular material after a short course. It definitely looks like uninformed imitation to me.

I wouldn't be surprised, considering the that there are also karambit videos in the mix.

Even the name "karambit" oozes cool, serious cool.

Ming Loyalist
9/05/2014 3:44pm,
Maybe you should go take some tai jutsu lessons to help out with your Judo. Might make you look more aesthetically pleasing when doing randori. Perhaps some knife-hand kumi kata too...

well, nothing is going to make me *less* aesthetically pleasing when i do randori, that's for sure.

i did a little googling about our "irish" sensei, and it seems that he actually studied under some good people way back when (don draeger???) and had some success as a judoka. not sure when/why he went full ninjer and stopped practicing effective arts. he also died in 2012, so there's not much point in looking further.

BKR
9/05/2014 6:50pm,
well, nothing is going to make me *less* aesthetically pleasing when i do randori, that's for sure.

i did a little googling about our "irish" sensei, and it seems that he actually studied under some good people way back when (don draeger???) and had some success as a judoka. not sure when/why he went full ninjer and stopped practicing effective arts. he also died in 2012, so there's not much point in looking further.

It's all about the aesthetics...judo is sweaty people in pajamas grunting and straining against each other, ninjer stuff is soft and flowing, with lots of fluid movement from technique to technique.

FinalLegion
9/05/2014 7:31pm,
...why is Duncan referred to as O'Sensei? That's...not quite correct, is it? I thought it was written 'O-Sensei'.

Hadzu
9/05/2014 8:03pm,
...why is Duncan referred to as O'Sensei? That's...not quite correct, is it? I thought it was written 'O-Sensei'.

Well, he is Irish.