PDA

View Full Version : David Ross NY San DA Graplling/ 2001 Charity Event

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 10:06am,
I say you were a white belt a Renzo's and recycled your lessons there as secret CMA grappling to your students without permission and for a profit. Do you deny it?

I also say you fraudulently collected money under the auspices of raising it for the children of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, and kept it for yourself. Do you deny that?

You're a thief and a liar. You're also an idiot if you think my warning to this forum about your nature is an attempt to derail anything. I have a long relationship with this community, and they know I do not troll even pre-investigation YMAS treads. Nice try.

I've said all I need to on this subject. Carry on.

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 10:54am,
I have refuted his claims with (1) the fact that letters from St Jude thanking me for contributions were posted on MMA.tv

By all means, post them here.

.... (2) making a big deal out of doing "home made" grappling in 1990/1991 was not a big deal then because it was THE ONLY OPTION and still better than burying your head in the sand and pretending "real fighting doesn't have grappling or ground fighting,

I'm sorry David, no dice. We're talking about training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under a credible instructor (Renzo Gracie), and turning around as a white belt n00b and charging people to learn it as some kind of CMA. This requires the permission of your instructor, and was typically allowed only by a blue belt (or higher) in the 90's. Are you claiming that Renzo's gym was open in 1991, a year before Craig Kukik even received his black belt? I'd be very surprised if that turned out to be true.

(3) since the term "big 6" ONLY applies to the USA WKF national tournaments during a period between 1997ish and 2004 his entire argument about "now" is moot...

Trivial point, but at the time I made my comments to you, other gyms were sending fighters annually to contest for spots on the team, and represent our country at World's. Yours had ceased doing so. The people currently doing something get the bragging rights, not the people who stopped long ago.

You went whining to Josh B over that?! I was never on the competition team, and Josh was never my coach. Marvin Perry, Kin Moy and Jordan Tabor were my coaches.

and (4) whatever story he has made up in his mind about an event that never happened; you can not prove a negative.. he'd have to offer up something other than his own recollection

Paul Rosado warned you to lay off your fighter in the prep-area. Everyone who was there knows this.

Gus Kapros' screen captures compared to the actual fight footage raise serious issues.... I am hardly alone in noticing this

Your 1st round TKO at the hands of EBM's Brain Madigan raises comparable issues. In fact it's worse.

Here's a tip: bashing Gus won't make that loss less embarrassing than this one, and smacking your fighters around won't change the fact that you refused to answer the bell just like they did.

I can post the video of it if you like, but here's the resolution: you, TKO'd in the 1st round, not because the ref intervened, but because you refused to even stand up and continue. You quit. Same as Gus. In a match against another CMA practitioner. Same as Gus. You both suck. Me too, but guess what, I don't have students paying me not to suck.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/mattcranky/bmko.jpg

nysanda
7/31/2014 11:05am,
blah blah blah.....

So people should just trust you? and not the letters from St Jude thanking me for my contributions?

Your memory is severely in question, but one example as I already noted is you want to apply the term "big 6" to a period after it had no relevence. And originally you tried to say I never trained any fighters or champions, only to have Josh Bartholomew tell you that you were flat out wrong and call you a troll

You're also claiming I trained at Renzo Gracie's, you've even got that part of it wrong. Because of the "Gracie challenge" I wasn't able to train there (being from "another style) so I ended up training with the Machado affiliate... people should just trust your faulty memory?

You flat out made up a story about me "beating a student" which NEVER HAPPENED, and you're contradicting what you said on Mark Tripp's board.. you said I don't train the fighters, don't travel with them and don't work the corner. Dude, you listen to internet gossip and take it for truth.....

So if anyone wants to PM him and get his frizzled memory of things he heard second hand, go right on ahead..... again, where is evidence for anything you have said?

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 11:52am,
So people should just trust you? and not the letters from St Jude thanking me for my contributions?

You're forgetting the part where you post the letters.

Your memory is severely in question, but one example as I already noted is you want to apply the term "big 6" to a period after it had no relevence. And originally you tried to say I never trained any fighters or champions, only to have Josh Bartholomew tell you that you were flat out wrong and call you a troll.

No one cares about this issue but you. Josh never told me anything except to stop criticizing you because you can't take it.

You're also claiming I trained at Renzo Gracie's, you've even got that part of it wrong. Because of the "Gracie challenge" I wasn't able to train there (being from "another style) so I ended up training with the Machado affiliate... people should just trust your faulty memory?

You flat out made up a story about me "beating a student" which NEVER HAPPENED, and you're contradicting what you said on Mark Tripp's board.. you said I don't train the fighters, don't travel with them and don't work the corner. Dude, you listen to internet gossip and take it for truth.....
Let me refresh your memory and you tell me if I got the gym name wrong: you trained at the BJJ gym in question, you felt they were too NHB oriented, you left after being "elbowed" in free rolling.

Now would you like to address why you thought it was OK to teach BJJ without permission, as an unsupervised white belt, and not even tell your students it was BJJ?

So if anyone wants to PM him and get his frizzled memory of things he heard second hand, go right on ahead..... again, where is evidence for anything you have said?

You claim you can clear up the St. Jude's issue with letters from them. Let's see them.

Do you even deny you defrauded your students and your instructor? Seems to me you are only throwing up red herrings about the name of the academy and the date you trained there. Machado affiliate in NY in 1990?

nysanda
7/31/2014 12:15pm,

print it out, wad it up, shove it down your throat, choke on it

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 12:18pm,
Several times I've asked you if you deny training your Lama Kung Fu students in what were really BJJ techniques learned as a no-stripe white belt elsewhere in the NYC area, and each time you have responded by deflecting the question with excuses about how it was OK, or whether I got the name of the academy right or not. How about you just answer the question.

I've also asked you several times to post the letters from St. Jude's which you claim will settle the issue of your paying them or not; you haven't posted them or even indicated that you intend to.

Gus deserves criticism for being a delusional idiot who got manhandled in a full contact CMA match, TKO'd in 1 round, and quit. Pot meet kettle.

Edit: I see you posted a scan. Reading it.

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 12:21pm,

print it out, wad it up, shove it down your throat, choke on it

What exactly is this supposed to show? I am referring to the tournament you ran for St. Jude's in fall of 2001; this letter is in thanks for an event in 2005. Are you stupid or is this another strawman?

nysanda
7/31/2014 12:24pm,
STOP SAYING THIS IT IS A LIE! I hate this logical fallacy.

He has claimed I hit / "beat up" a student at some show and almost got removed from the building for it... it never happened.. it is not a "logical fallacy" to say I can not prove that something did not happen... the burden of proof is on him to prove such an event happened

nysanda
7/31/2014 12:33pm,
Matt has claimed, here and on the defunct Mark Tripp board that I never had authorization to use St Jude's name and never donated money to them. He is just aping the same crap Anil Singh posted on mma.tv. Almost everything he is saying he has learned second hand from reading the internet

The St Jude's letter, posted here, which happens to be just one of them (and the one that is sitting on this harddrive... people do change computers over the years, much less DECADES) clearly refutes the claim Matt made...

He keeps appealing to how everyone knows him and should just trust him... I was under the impression that was not the standard here...

He CLAIMS I hit a fighter... he also once claimed I don't train fighters, only to be publically refuted by the same person he claimed was his coach.. now he's quickly backing off from this.. Now for example he wants to drop the whole issue of the "big six".... whatever dude...

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 12:42pm,
Mods, please move if there is a more appropriate location for this:

The St Jude's letter, posted here, which happens to be just one of them (and the one that is sitting on this harddrive... people do change computers over the years, much less DECADES) clearly refutes the claim Matt made...

https://web.archive.org/web/20011030081819/http://www.angelfire.com/ny/sanshou/9801.html

David, I am talking about this tournament on 9/8/01

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s253/mattcranky/Ross_zps2305b9e5.jpg

Please post the thank you letter for the tournament in question. No one doubts you paid St. Jude's in 2005.

Do you dispute my claim that you defrauded your paying Lama Kung Fu students and fraudulently taught them BJJ under the story that it was CMA, and you did so without permission of any BJJ instructor. And that you were a no-stripe white when you did so?

nysanda
7/31/2014 1:10pm,
It is NO SECRET that we started putting grappling , particularly ground grappling, into what we were doing starting around 1991...

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yld6uu8SKd4

Much, though not all, came from when I was friendly with Mark Tripp. I recently had a rather nasty argument with Mark RE the Trayvon Martin case (no, you can not make this stuff up) but regardless, he showed me a lot of stuff....I will give him his due..

Considering I introduced Mark Tripp to my students as my grappling instructor in Toronto at a tournament, how was I lying about where my material was coming from?

As I have said, would it have been "better" heck "cool" to have a BJJ black belt teaching at my school back then? YES, but not an option

Matt apparently is now questioning whether there was a Machado affiliate in NYC in 1990's... Fabio Clemente was the rep at that time.. the Marcos brothers were underbelts ther at the time... the Machoado had a much more open philosophy at that time, ie not the "gracie challenge"

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 3:09pm,
It is NO SECRET that we started putting grappling , particularly ground grappling, into what we were doing starting around 1991...

Here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yld6uu8SKd4

Much, though not all, came from when I was friendly with Mark Tripp.

How does being "friendly with Mark Tripp" make you a grappling instructor? How much time did you spend training under him? Did he rank you? Did he certify you as an instructor as he did for others in your state like Chris Herzog? When this was discussed in his forum, I don't recall your attending more than 1 seminar of his.

but regardless, he showed me a lot of stuff....I will give him his due..

When did he show this to you? At his seminar? One afternoon at Gene Lebell's tournament?

Considering I introduced Mark Tripp to my students as my grappling instructor in Toronto at a tournament, how was I lying about where my material was coming from?
From your site:

About Sifu David A Ross

Sifu David A Ross is an internationally recognized instructor and one of three senior Lama Kung-Fu/Mongolian wrestling disciples of Grandmaster Chan Tai-San. Under Grandmaster Chan Tai-San's direction, Sifu Ross learned the four essential elements of the Lama Kung-Fu/Mongolian wrestling system;
1) Tek (kicking and sweeping)
2) Da (striking)
3) Seut (grappling)
4) Na (submission)

Already holding a teaching certificate in Hung Ga (5 animal) kung-fu, second degree black belts in Korean Taekwondo and Hapkido, first degree black belts in Japanese Karate (Shotokan) and Jiu-Jitsu, and having trained in Muay Thai, Sifu Ross discovered the truly unique aspect of Master Chan Tai-San's system. Its strength lies in the fact that it combines all the necessary elements of fighting into a single unified system of combat. For this reason, Sifu Ross dedicated himself to this method.

Sifu Ross has been teaching people to defend themselves for over 12 years and is personally dedicated to guiding each and every student to achieve their personal best. As coach of the New York Kung-Fu Academy Team, Sifu Ross only hopes he is able to pass along the wonderful knowledge and techniques he learned from his teacher. So far, he says he has been extremely lucky because the team has given 100% of their effort and attention and have come quite a long way.

Mongolian wrestling (Shuai-Jiao) is one of the five major schools of wrestling found in China and also influenced the Russian system of Sambo. Unlike many forms of wrestling, it has always been considered a combat grappling system and will teach you both standing and ground grappling. In particular, students will learn many devastating full body throws designed to end the conflict immediately.

However, when these techniques are not readily available, you will also learn other throws and takedowns, ground grappling and submissions. The ground grappling taught includes basic positioning, escapes and reversals. Submissions for every part of the body are used. The most common submissions include arm locks, leg locks, chokes, neck cranks, and spine locks.

Idealy, the throws and takedowns will place the student in the top position. However, there are also defensive techniques and even submissions that can be used from the bottom.

Students learning Mongolian wrestling will have opportunities to test their skills in submission grappling, Shuai-Jiao and Jiu-Jitsu tournaments. A student from the program placed 3rd at the Gene LeBell Grapplers' Challenge, an international tournament held in Toronto, Canada.

That's everything from your old site on the subject of the grappling curriculum. Where does it say anything about Clemente or even Tripp?

As I have said, would it have been "better" heck "cool" to have a BJJ black belt teaching at my school back then? YES, but not an option

What would have been "better" was for you to not to be teaching at all, since you were not trained, and did not have permission to be teaching the subject. Instead you advertised this curriculum in a manner that implies a "Mongolian" origin instead of just saying you were a n00b white belt teaching without permission or supervision.

Matt apparently is now questioning whether there was a Machado affiliate in NYC in 1990's... Fabio Clemente was the rep at that time.. the Marcos brothers were underbelts ther at the time... the Machoado had a much more open philosophy at that time, ie not the "gracie challenge"
Correct. I just confirmed this with Lindsay Machado. I questioned it; I did not say it was false.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991003183553/http://www.angelfire.com/ny/sanshou/index.html

nysanda
7/31/2014 3:55pm,
Mark taught me stuff and had no problem with me teaching it to my people, in fact, when some of my guys used the jaw lock at the Toronto event he was rather happy about it. Was I "qualified"? My guys fought and won... and the fact that I was still cross training and trying to better myself is irrelevent... I still cross train....

Mark didn't give me any rank, and I wasn't interested in any rank.. all I wanted to do was learn stuff. Daniel Weng the Shuai Jiao guy wanted to give me some rank once, I wasn't interested... damned if you do, damned if you don't... they make fun of people who run around collection rank, now they want to know what rank I collected?

Is Mongolian Shuai Jiao part of what Chan Tai San taught? YES. Did someone who trained under him learn it. YES. So is it accurate to say I learned some Mongolian Shuai Jiao.. obviously YES....

Again, it's irrelevent to your nonsense... we were trying to make more rounded martial artists, and I was trying to be one... blah blah blah.. I was a white belt at the Machado affiliate... everyone's a white belt some time, and in my opinion, even if you are an instructor in something else, you should be able to put on a white belt and learn something new.....

Are you now backing off from that story of yours about something at Redline?

You're engaged in a lot of double talk... but I don't mind, because I already know, if you hate me, you're gonna believe what you want anyway, not matter how hard truth is blinking in front of your face

Matt Phillips
7/31/2014 4:08pm,
I'm not backing off from anything, I simply messaged others for corroboration.

Mark taught me stuff and had no problem with me teaching it to my people, in fact, when some of my guys used the jaw lock at the Toronto event he was rather happy about it. Was I "qualified"? My guys fought and won... and the fact that I was still cross training and trying to better myself is irrelevent... I still cross train....

Mark didn't give me any rank, and I wasn't interested in any rank.. all I wanted to do was learn stuff. Daniel Weng the Shuai Jiao guy wanted to give me some rank once, I wasn't interested... damned if you do, damned if you don't... they make fun of people who run around collection rank, now they want to know what rank I collected?

Is Mongolian Shuai Jiao part of what Chan Tai San taught? YES. Did someone who trained under him learn it. YES. So is it accurate to say I learned some Mongolian Shuai Jiao.. obviously YES....

Again, it's irrelevent to your nonsense... we were trying to make more rounded martial artists, and I was trying to be one... blah blah blah.. I was a white belt at the Machado affiliate... everyone's a white belt some time, and in my opinion, even if you are an instructor in something else, you should be able to put on a white belt and learn something new.....

What I see is that in your world it is OK to teach BJJ as a no-stripe white as long as you create the impression on your website that it's "Mongolian Shuai Jiao".

in fact, when some of my guys used the jaw lock at the Toronto event he was rather happy about it.
It was Steve Koepfer that Mark showed that jaw lock to that day. You clearly just implied Mark taught it to you, and you taught it to Steve. Do you ever stop?

nysanda
7/31/2014 5:36pm,
Last time I checked, Adam Resnick is not Stephen Koepfer.. Koepfer did not win his match with a jaw lock and Adam Resnick did... and he didn't learn it at the tournament and then use it... You weren't in Toronto, so all you can offer is hearsay on this... just saying

and my students were competing all over the place and doing ok.... just saying

You just want to keep saying BJJ don't you? We were adding whatever we could to round out what we were doing.. so a lot of it was Mark Tripp's stuff.. again, he had no issue with us doing it.

I was teaching my students to the best I could, and they were doing alright....

The fact I was cross training myself also really has nothing to do with it...

Yeah, you're right, I should have stayed just a traditional martial artist talking about how deadly TMA is (/sarcasm)

Say what you want, over 20 years I've proved I have good methods for teaching people practical skills....

Matt Phillips
8/01/2014 11:32am,
my students were competing all over the place and doing ok.... just saying

You just want to keep saying BJJ don't you? We were adding whatever we could to round out what we were doing.. so a lot of it was Mark Tripp's stuff.. again, he had no issue with us doing it.

I was teaching my students to the best I could, and they were doing alright....

The fact I was cross training myself also really has nothing to do with it...

Yeah, you're right, I should have stayed just a traditional martial artist talking about how deadly TMA is (/sarcasm)

So marketing white belt grappling lessons as Kung Fu is OK as long as you barely trained in more than one system. Got it. I wonder how many recall that you packaged that material as "Lama Kung Fu Anti-Grappling" and sold it as instructional videos in major magazines.

Your self-permission to teach and give rank in grappling seems to derive from your opinion that Lama Kung Fu + Crappling is better than Lama Kung Fu alone. Is it conversely acceptable for a grappling instructor to give out rank in Lama Pai under the argument that Grappling + Lama Pai is better than Grappling alone?

Here's a few questions for you:

(1) How many times a week did you train at Clemente's and for what period of time?

(2) How many times a week did you train with Mark Tripp and for what period of time?

(3) Could you please give the name of someone you rolled with in a school in which you were not instructor. Anyone will do, even if just at an open mat.

(4) You have said elsewhere that you were cross trained in Sambo, Judo and Wrestling as well as BJJ. Can you tell me where you trained these and with whom?