PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on sambo shoes?

Pages : [1] 2

bunyip
5/08/2004 6:47pm,
After breaking a toe a few months ago, I've been considering wearing wrestling shoes for BJJ/Judo/kickboxing, but I heard too many stories from people who have blown out knees and ankles because of the friction from the shoes. I decided I value my knees more than my toes, so I'm still barefoot.

This morning, though, I saw someone wearing sambo shoes (sambofki), which look ideal because they were more like leather socks with a suede sole.

Can anyone who's used these give me an opinion on them?

Deadpan Scientist
5/08/2004 6:57pm,
People might think you're a communist...

xero
5/08/2004 7:07pm,
Are you speaking against the party?

We have one guy who did train in sambo shoes but recently he stopped wearing them and has been training exclusively barefoot. Any other shoes worn are wrestling shoes by the shoe wearing BJJ players/kickboxers/etc

bunyip
5/08/2004 7:38pm,
Originally posted by brandeissansoo
People might think you're a communist...

I'll be sure to get the red ones, then.

Deadpan Scientist
5/08/2004 7:39pm,
Originally posted by bunyip
I'll be sure to get the red ones, then.

I'm sure they don't come in any other color.

Shooter
5/08/2004 7:44pm,
bunyip. one of my training partners bought a pair of 'Ultimate Grappling Shoes' from Scott Sonnon's company a couple of years ago. His footwork greatly improved after he got em.

He's worn a couple of different makes of wrestling shoe (Asics and Adidas), and has worn the UGS in sub-wrestling and MMA competition. He says there's no comparison...UGS rule.

Scott offers great customer service as well. Dunno if he's still selling the UGS or not, though, You can check it out at;

RMAX.TV

xero
5/08/2004 7:44pm,
Originally posted by brandeissansoo
I'm sure they don't come in any other color.

You need to be re educated.

PeedeeShaolin
5/08/2004 7:50pm,
Those shoes are good but they also make footlocks almost impossible to escape. Go barefoot in grappling because if someone gets a hold of your heel they have alot more torque when you're wearing shoe.

Goldust
5/08/2004 8:03pm,
Iíve experimented with both wrestling shoes and sambo shoes. I donít care for the wrestling shoes because I came very close to getting my foot caught on the mat and twisting my knee. Also since I have a good guard and often use it I found that I didnít care much for the loss of sensitivity and mobility that I experienced while wearing them and defending leg locks also became more difficult.

I found that with the sambo shoes I didnít experience the same loss of flexibility and mobility that I had experienced while wearing the wrestling shoes. However I found that with the sambo shoes I had no traction whatsoever and I was slipping and sliding around the mat. When working from the top position I found it difficult to drive and maintain pressure because my feet kept slipping. Also when working stand up grappling my opponents were able to drive me back easily because I was unable to dig in to resist. As a result I went back to training without shoes but will occasionally wear the sambo shoes if I have suffered any kind of injury (sprained foot/toes, mat burn etc.) but fortunately that occurs very rarely.

Greese
5/08/2004 8:05pm,
Uhm, he is not talking about normal shoes.
They way they are set up they are more of a sock...they add nothing to little to a leg lock.

Shooter
5/08/2004 8:09pm,
The UGS don't give up anything to bare-foot sensitivity. You can feel the lock coming and you're still able to do the things you'd normally do bare-foot to escape. If someone's good with their footlocks, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a shoe or not once they get tight.

The UGS provide a happy medium between bare-foot and shoes in terms of sensitivity, support/protection, and traction.

Shooter
5/08/2004 8:15pm,
Goldust, what kind of mat(s) are you training on?

Goldust
5/08/2004 8:45pm,
These are the mats that we have.

http://swainsportsintl.com/f_flooring.htm

bunyip
5/08/2004 8:47pm,
Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
Those shoes are good but they also make footlocks almost impossible to escape. Go barefoot in grappling because if someone gets a hold of your heel they have alot more torque when you're wearing shoe.

Footlocks? I do BJJ, remember?

bunyip
5/08/2004 8:49pm,
Originally posted by Shooter
bunyip. one of my training partners bought a pair of 'Ultimate Grappling Shoes'

I was actually looking at those, too. But they cost about 50% more than sambo shoes, so I thought I'd go cheap and make sure I didn't hate shoes. I might change my mind. What material is the sole made out of?

Shooter
5/08/2004 9:15pm,
Goldust, ah...ok. Swain has a few different kinds of coverings and materials, though.

We've trained on olympic style wrestling mats, hardwood floor, and polyehtylene tarps. J's never had a problem maintaining his footing on any of those surfaces in the UGS.

I find the puzzle mats used at a lot of grappling tournies way too sticky.

BTW, why is Jim Graden teaching those people Dog Boxing? :D