PDA

View Full Version : New member saying hi.

AfistfulloTeeth
3/01/2014 10:12am,
G'day,

I stumbled on your website after my brother in law (BIL) decided to show me what hes "learned" from 2 years of Wing Chun. Im a boxer by training since 1993, and sparred heavily until about 2002 when I fractured my shoulder. I also trained in Bujinkan from 1998 until about 2002, attaining 3rd Kyu. (my dojo took about 5 years to attain a black belt and we sparred at least weekly, so not as bad as some places ive seen since).

Anyway, I feel hes has learned pretty much nothing useful at all, not even basic distancing, timing or body angles (im willing to blame slack discipline rather then a weak style) but he insists hes deadly. I hadnt trained at all in over 6 years, weighed a fair bit more then I used to but was easily able to demonstrate his lack of the afore mentioned skills through several bouts of sparring.

Since then Ive lost about 18kg and started training again (including goju-ryu / kyokushin with an old mate), hoping to start sparring soon as well as learning a proper set of grappling skills. BIL still thinks theres nothing wrong with his skillset, so im trying to convince him gradually, for his sake. Also my wife wants me to let him LARP and this is the best way to do it with a clear conscience IMO, dont want the kid relying on what hes got in a real fight.

You guys do a great job, as a hard skeptic and frequent caller of bullshit (great fun at BBQ's ) I admire the work on this site and hope to learn alot more as I use the boards.

Sorry for the long post, but thought I should introduce myself properly.

p.s; Im very happy to see the freedom in the MMA movement, come along way since back then!

slamdunc
3/01/2014 10:34am,
Welcome to Bullshido. BTW, I love the screen-name.

Nickosaurus
3/01/2014 10:37am,
Welcome to Bullshido

I think your best bet is to try and get him to a few sessions of a functional martial art (Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling, Judo ect) and let him see for himself. I have never found that preaching works very well when opinion are set

slamdunc
3/01/2014 10:47am,
I think your best bet is to try and get him to a few sessions of a functional martial art (Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling, Judo ect) and let him see for himself.I agree with this 100%

I have never found that preaching works very well when opinion are setYou usually have to show them how weak their stuff it; it took a series of ass whoopings to get me away from TKD.

AfistfulloTeeth
3/01/2014 11:32am,
Thanks for the warm welcome and fast replies, there very much appreciated!.

Weve had a few conversations now, and hes agreed to at least watch a session at the gym (boxing) which is a big step.

Its taken a few sparring bouts to convince him, but what really got his attention was borrowing my copy of "knife fighting techniques from folsom prison" and thinking about the defences and theory hed been taught to date. Bit of an eye opener that book, I suggest downloading it because you cant buy it anymore.

Totally agree with you both about the preaching, its not fun for anybody involved. A practical approach through sparring is the only way forward I think. I never really listened to "old" people when I was young so I cant really blame him for not listening now I guess.

Anyway, if you have experience with WC are there any specific things I should try to address apart from basic posture and angles? (and that stupid side kick thing he does) I havent met a "chunner" before, though I always thought the style would be effective.

slamdunc, thanks, I quite like it too think its a keeper :)