PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix area schools

marcodavid
2/18/2014 7:56pm,
Hi Folks,

Newbie here. I've been reading these threads for a few months now and need a bit of help. I'm purchasing land in Florence, AZ so I'm in-between Phoenix and Tucson. The good news is that I'll be closer to Phoenix, and that works out well because I will need to travel there often for school.

Ok, so here's my question. Based on what I'm reading here most of you seem to favor traditional jiu jitsu, judo, kajukenpo but no bjj. Now, what I'm looking for is a school where me and my boys can study together. Every time I look, I find another studio that seems to be a joke. I found a dojo in Tucson that looks promising. The guy teaches jeet kune do and Kali, but that would be 1 1/2 hours drive from where I have property vs. 1 hour to Phoenix. Granted, Phoenix is a big city so it could take me an additional half hour to get to class if a school is in the North. What are your recommendations? As I said, I wish to stay away from BJJ as I do not consider it to be a very good street defense. What are your recommendations?

AKRhino
2/18/2014 8:47pm,
Welcome to Bullshido. I would recommend BJJ for self defense personally. Judo is also a good choice.

The main thing is that whatever you train, you train it in an alive manner. So go check out the local gyms and pick one that focuses on training with aliveness. Good luck.

It is Fake
2/18/2014 9:01pm,
Welcome.

First, I do not know what threads you have read, but no we rarely recommend traditional Jujitsu. If it is recommended, it is a school that competes in knockdown and Judo tournaments. Those are rare and I do not think there are any in Arizona.