PDA

View Full Version : A funny thing happened during sparring today...

ghost55
2/06/2014 1:27am,
There are a lot of MMA guys at my Muay Thai gym. At least one of the instructors competed at some point, and I have heard at least four or five people talking about past or upcoming matches. Once every few months the main instructor is out on Friday night because he is busy helping some of the fighters prep. Or something. I really do not know what happens with that stuff.

Anyways, this happened during the last few minutes of sparring, where some people have stopped taking everything all that seriously, and have started fucking around. Think lots of jumping spinning kicks and attempts at double leg takedowns whilst wearing 14oz gloves.

So one man decides that an overly dramatic spinning backfist would be a good idea. He throws it, and it collides with someones head. That person is not his sparring partner. It is one of the instructors who is busy sparring with another person. The instructor is not amused. The instructor respond with a double leg takedown that he rapidly turns into an armbar. He is also wearing 14oz gloves. I don't know what I expected to happen, but defeat by submission via random bystander was not something I expected.

So, do you guys have any amusing stories from training?

goodlun
2/06/2014 2:20am,
One time during sparring I actually learned something. It was only the one time though.

blackmonk
2/07/2014 11:44am,
There are a lot of MMA guys at my Muay Thai gym. At least one of the instructors competed at some point, and I have heard at least four or five people talking about past or upcoming matches. Once every few months the main instructor is out on Friday night because he is busy helping some of the fighters prep. Or something. I really do not know what happens with that stuff.

Anyways, this happened during the last few minutes of sparring, where some people have stopped taking everything all that seriously, and have started fucking around. Think lots of jumping spinning kicks and attempts at double leg takedowns whilst wearing 14oz gloves.

So one man decides that an overly dramatic spinning backfist would be a good idea. He throws it, and it collides with someones head. That person is not his sparring partner. It is one of the instructors who is busy sparring with another person. The instructor is not amused. The instructor respond with a double leg takedown that he rapidly turns into an armbar. He is also wearing 14oz gloves. I don't know what I expected to happen, but defeat by submission via random bystander was not something I expected.

So, do you guys have any amusing stories from training?

It does suck that the guy was not practicing proper spatial awareness, as that can be a safety concern, but an instructor bullying him for his mistake (that's the way it came off in your text, at least) is far more douchey. I have never understood that. People post those videos all the time like OMG LOoK AT THIS D00D GET SMaShED By HIs COACH LOL, and I just don't get it.

I'm honestly not taking issue with you, personally. I just don't understand the allure of a gym culture where the coach feels so insecure that he needs to smash his students, or cannot control his emotions.

I would assume that he did it in jest, but you clearly said he was not amused.

My 70-something-year-old judo coach used to fart extremely loudly in class all the time. That was kinda funny, I suppose.

Permalost
2/07/2014 1:27pm,
I avoid spinning backfists in sparring, not for the overly-parroted "Never turn your back to your opponent!" but because I feel that speed is required to make it land and I don't trust myself to do it quickly without hitting too hard.

Vieux Normand
2/07/2014 1:33pm,
I've had a couple of sparring partners hyper their elbows by trying spinning backfists just as I was closing range. Seriously, if it looks like your adversary might close in, either don't do spinning-anything or be ready to switch to a spinning elbow.

goodlun
2/07/2014 2:42pm,
It does suck that the guy was not practicing proper spatial awareness, as that can be a safety concern, but an instructor bullying him for his mistake
I don't know it was as much not practicing proper spatial awareness as much as not practicing properly to begin with. This happened because the dude was fucking around while sparring.

ghost55
2/07/2014 3:46pm,
It does suck that the guy was not practicing proper spatial awareness, as that can be a safety concern, but an instructor bullying him for his mistake (that's the way it came off in your text, at least) is far more douchey. I have never understood that. People post those videos all the time like OMG LOoK AT THIS D00D GET SMaShED By HIs COACH LOL, and I just don't get it.

I'm honestly not taking issue with you, personally. I just don't understand the allure of a gym culture where the coach feels so insecure that he needs to smash his students, or cannot control his emotions.

My 70-something-year-old judo coach used to fart extremely loudly in class all the time. That was kinda funny, I suppose.

It was not a case of one person bullying another. I can assure you of that. Everyone involved was laughing pretty hard. I will also throw out there that I missed almost everything that happened there but the armbar because I was busy attempting to dodge multiple spinning heel kicks aimed at my head, so the exact order of events might be a bit scrambled here.

gregaquaman
2/07/2014 11:09pm,

We have a guy who waits until you are in a triangle.

We have had fighters spas out from time to time. But as we are intentionally trying to break them it is understandable.