PDA

View Full Version : Uncomfortable at BJJ school (vent/need advice)

Pages : [1] 2

DaveMustaine
5/06/2004 5:21pm,
So, I started at a new school a month ago taking MT and BJJ. In this time, I have become comfortable with my MT class and I'm loving it. On the other hand, after a month, I still don't feel comfortable at BJJ class. To note, I'm the smallest, and least skilled out of everyone. Most of the guys are experienced MMA fighters, and I have no grappling experience. The problem is, when we free grapple, I feel like I'm wasting whoevers time I'm grappling with. I've ended up attending class less and less recently. Anyways, this was kinda a vent session, but I was also wondering: anyone else uncomfortable at their school? Any advice? Thx.

Deadpan Scientist
5/06/2004 5:26pm,
long version:

Dave, it's something that everyone goes though whenever they start at a new school. Try your best and focus on technique. If you feel like you aren't very good, guess what? You just started, don't expect to be tapping anyone for a while(I've been told 6 months is about when the newbishness starts wearing off and you stop feeling like an idiot, but I'm still waiting for it myself). You're not wasting anyone's time. You're there to train and learn, and you have just as much of a right to train there as anyone.

Short version:
Stop being such a whiny bitch, you're new and they're supposed to be better than you. If they weren't, you shouldn't be training there.

DJeter1234
5/06/2004 5:34pm,
just wait till somone new comes. You'll probably destroy them.

DCS
5/06/2004 5:37pm,
Be patient and go to train.

Dochter
5/06/2004 6:03pm,
Consistent bjj training can be very disheartening. Until fresh meet comes. Then there is a nice holy **** what did I just do to that guy feeling.

JBliss
5/06/2004 6:28pm,
I like thinking that inside the gym is pretty much a snapsot in time...never changes...you will always percieve yourself to be worse than the guy who was a here a year before you and trains as dilligently as you do...step outside the gym and into, say, your best friends' memorial day backyard barbeque...you are now Rickson Gracie.

edit: unless you're best friends with Rickson Gracie then you are still you...and you suck

zenbert
5/06/2004 6:39pm,
if it aint tough, it aint worth doing... we were all low man on the totem at some point...

actually i'm still there but still working at it

chaosexmachina
5/06/2004 6:40pm,
JBliss is correct. As soon as I step in the gym, I feel like I should; a big n00b. But when I'm walking around town sizing people up, or talking to my untrained/aikido/TKD friends... I feel like d4 m4s73R!

JBliss
5/06/2004 6:43pm,
Gotta get that glow
...it's a sacrifice...a way of LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

sho'nuff

Freddy
5/06/2004 6:52pm,
Originally posted by DaveMustaine
So, I started at a new school a month ago taking MT and BJJ. In this time, I have become comfortable with my MT class and I'm loving it. On the other hand, after a month, I still don't feel comfortable at BJJ class. To note, I'm the smallest, and least skilled out of everyone. Most of the guys are experienced MMA fighters, and I have no grappling experience. The problem is, when we free grapple, I feel like I'm wasting whoevers time I'm grappling with. I've ended up attending class less and less recently. Anyways, this was kinda a vent session, but I was also wondering: anyone else uncomfortable at their school? Any advice? Thx.

Why did someone grab your ass?:eek:

Just kidding:p

Jenfucius
5/06/2004 6:53pm,
Dear Dave,

You suck and you are lame.

Love,
Jenfucius

JBliss
5/06/2004 6:57pm,
and Jenfucius, lame is not the preferred nomenclature...Mechanized Attack Squad (or Squad for short) please

DJeter1234
5/06/2004 7:00pm,
nah, make it mech for short. then we can have all the arguements over again when cyborgs roam the earth

bunyip
5/06/2004 7:30pm,
My first three months of training, I was the newest guy in the school, spent all my time on bottom, never tapped anyone, and assumed I sucked. Then I moved, went to a new school, and tapped out all their new students.

So just console yourself with the fact that you're getting better, even if it doesn't feel like it. Eventually some fresh meat will show up.

chaosexmachina
5/06/2004 8:32pm,
You know when I first read this, I thought it was gonna be someone complaining about how romo BJJ is.

Aristeia
5/06/2004 8:54pm,
My BJJ training, such as it is is split between 2 schools on the same night - I go to whichever one my work schedule allows generally. One is run by a brazillian brown belt with a some reasonably expereinced students - a purple, couple of blues and some good whites. The other is incorporated into a ninjitsu school with basically ninjitsu green belts. It's sometimes a struggle to convince myself to go to the better school where I'll be owned like a red headed step child than the other school where I can be king of the mat. One's good for the ego the other is good for the training. Way I see it if you're not tapping you're probably not getting any better.

As for feeling like your wasting their time, don't sweat it. They all went through the same thing and chances are they don't mind. You give them a chance to play with freaky **** they can't yet pull off on the more experienced members.