PDA

View Full Version : New Guided Chaos Videos? A Christmas Miracle.

Pages : [1] 2

XXIV
12/25/2013 2:16am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKj1U5t36Lg

I was amusing myself after everyone went to bed since I have a crap sleep schedule and I found that there are new GC videos from Matt Kovsky. Some of you guys know or may remember I have a serious rape scenario hot button, so this one in particular enraged me. Probably because it's so stupidly spazzy.

How do pull guard?

I hope there are more Martial Myth videos. I need comedy.

So basically Happy Chrimbus, enjoy some comedy on that channel.

FinalLegion
12/25/2013 5:28am,
...what the **** did I just watch? What is Kovsky trying to say here? That going to the ground is a no win situation but that 'dropping your weight' and hoping that you slap his face and eyes enough is the way to go?

Stickybomb
12/25/2013 7:52am,
Must be some kind of white woman workout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuFy_qjolU

cereus
12/25/2013 3:54pm,
I like that one of the recommended videos is Stephan Kesting's 5 reasons to grapple in a street fight.

CapnMunchh
12/25/2013 4:08pm,
There's really nothing wrong in this video per se, it just doesn't add anything non-grapplers don't already know or should know. Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.

kamadul
12/25/2013 4:20pm,
I am confused. When the video says "Here's what works" why does it not show her pulling her Glock?

That big black guy must be some kind of sissy if a few slaps to the face completely shut down his attack like that.

FinalLegion
12/25/2013 4:41pm,
There's really nothing wrong in this video per se, it just doesn't add anything non-grapplers don't already know or should know. Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.

That's why none of this makes sense to me. If you have not been trained in how to properly do a takedown or have not been trained in grappling than of course you don't want to try and take your attacker down and grapple. No fucking kidding. The impression I got, and maybe I'm wrong, is that Kovsky is trying to say that you don't ever want to grapple especially if the attacker is bigger than you...which doesn't make sense because one of the main ideas of the grappling arts, as far as I understand them, is to be able to handle a larger opponent.

One thing that makes me laugh about this video is when it shows what to do if you're surprised by your attacker. I don't know about anyone else, but the attacker sure seemed to be moving pretty slow for a 'surprise attack'. Seems to me that anyone moving that slow on a well trained grappler is in for a world of hurt.

CapnMunchh
12/25/2013 4:52pm,
[QUOTE=FinalLegion;2809356]That's why none of this makes sense to me. If you have not been trained in how to properly do a takedown or have not been trained in grappling than of course you don't want to try and take your attacker down and grapple. No fucking kidding. The impression I got, and maybe I'm wrong, is that Kovsky is trying to say that you don't ever want to grapple especially if the attacker is bigger than you...which doesn't make sense because one of the main ideas of the grappling arts, as far as I understand them, is to be able to handle a larger opponent. [QUOTEFinalLegion;2809356]

The reason we constantly see crapola like this on the internet is because:

1 -- stand up MArtists who cant or wont incorporate some knowledge of grappling into their game think that they have to come up with antigrappling moves to keep their audience. The irony is that all they really need to do for "antigrappling" is to get good enough at their regular standup game to defeat a grappler -- there's enough MMA videos around to prove that. But, that doesn't satisfy people's desire for . . .

2 -- Magic moves. People really want to believe that there is some special technique they can use to defeat a grappler that doesn't involve either learning grappling, carrying a weapon, or taking the hard road of becoming a tough mofo in their own style. There isn't any.

XXIV
12/25/2013 5:06pm,
Q: What do you do when a big guy takes you down? A: Don't let him take you down! (otherwise, learn grappling or keep a weapon handy). Duh.

My issue is the fact that they started from a "Rape Position" where he was crawling between her legs to overpower her to start with - a place where, if she didn't resist grappling training as per that instructor's advice, she could have options. SO MANY options it's ridiculously empowering.

I get irritated with the perpetuation that all rape starts with some huge guy tackling you to the ground. Sometimes it's someone you trust, sometimes it's someone you love, someone with the keys to your house even.. and they're violating that trust when you're already in a vulnerable position.

I've made posts like this before though - so I reiterate, it is a hair trigger sort of thing with me. I feel that perpetuating this antigrapple spaz bullshit (I'm looking at you too, precise obscure pressure point strikes) is absolutely dangerous.

goodlun
12/26/2013 1:47pm,
The irony is that all they really need to do for "antigrappling" is to get good enough at their regular standup game to defeat a grappler -- there's enough MMA videos around to prove that. But, that doesn't satisfy people's desire for . . .

Not exactly, the stand up guys that do well still need to know how to sprawl they also have to square up a bit more to keep from being single legged to death. There are modifications to a stand up game to deal with grapplers. The biggest of course is training against someone that has the ability to execute a proper takedown.

The simple truth is if your goal is self defense you should incorporate at least up to a blue belt equivalents worth of ground fighting and takedown defense. That way you have enough to get out of a bad situation on the ground and to stand back up.

XXIV
12/28/2013 12:33pm,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCFuEJHHLg

You know, I like the advice.. If you a see a knife, yes, please, DO run. Run like you stole it. It's a good battle plan.

Just.. don't run yourself into a wall for some reason to bounce them off of you with a kick. Putting yourself against a wall when a guy with a reach advantage is trying to stab you seems like an awful idea. Or is it just me?

cereus
12/28/2013 3:48pm,
It's just you, you are safe when you touch the wall. Or am I thinking of a children's game?

Flail_Crapple
12/28/2013 3:56pm,
Aside from the running part, that was suicidally bad.

For one thing your hands/arms are going to be more instinctive and better coordinated when your bodies fight or flight response is going berserk.

For another, cuts to the legs are going to bleed you out faster and interfere with your ability to GTFO way more than cuts to the arms.

Fuzzy
12/29/2013 6:12am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCFuEJHHLg

You know, I like the advice.. If you a see a knife, yes, please, DO run. Run like you stole it. It's a good battle plan.

Just.. don't run yourself into a wall for some reason to bounce them off of you with a kick. Putting yourself against a wall when a guy with a reach advantage is trying to stab you seems like an awful idea. Or is it just me?

Run - yes, parry while creating space - yes, but not like some sort of noodle-armed schoolyard slap fight ffs. Kick - No, stfu.

Also, I love how the "This is wrong" part says "Parry while ingnoring stabs to the arm" and then she proceeds to ignore getting the **** slashed out of her legs.

CapnMunchh
12/29/2013 9:46am,
Not exactly, the stand up guys that do well still need to know how to sprawl they also have to square up a bit more to keep from being single legged to death. There are modifications to a stand up game to deal with grapplers. The biggest of course is training against someone that has the ability to execute a proper takedown.

The simple truth is if your goal is self defense you should incorporate at least up to a blue belt equivalents worth of ground fighting and takedown defense. That way you have enough to get out of a bad situation on the ground and to stand back up.

I agree with your point about having some stance modifications to keep from being taken down. But, I'd say that once you start trying to deal with a takedown by using a sprawl you're already in the realm of grappling or dangerously close to it. Which is ok -- I also agree about incorporating grappling skills up to blue belt level if you're mainly a standup fighter. That's what I did.

kamadul
12/29/2013 11:48am,
My issue is the fact that they started from a "Rape Position" where he was crawling between her legs to overpower her to start with - a place where, if she didn't resist grappling training as per that instructor's advice, she could have options. SO MANY options it's ridiculously empowering.

I get irritated with the perpetuation that all rape starts with some huge guy tackling you to the ground. Sometimes it's someone you trust, sometimes it's someone you love, someone with the keys to your house even.. and they're violating that trust when you're already in a vulnerable position.

I've made posts like this before though - so I reiterate, it is a hair trigger sort of thing with me. I feel that perpetuating this antigrapple spaz bullshit (I'm looking at you too, precise obscure pressure point strikes) is absolutely dangerous.

How about this rape defense?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=85a_1387346964