PDA

View Full Version : New Guy thanks Bullshido

Bayonet
9/03/2013 1:27pm,
Okay.

About 6 months ago I was considering getting back into Martial Arts but couldn't decide on which style to pursue. My diligent googling led me to Bullshido, and I fell into a habit of lurking around the forums for information. After a brief period of Bully-aided research, I settled on....

Judo. And I'm loving it. I'm currently a yellow belt, training regularly and, according to my wife, can't shut up talking about "ouchi-kouchis".

Thank you, assorted black-hearted Bullies. You have made a Judoka out of me.

PS: I live in close proximity to a Bujinkan ninjer club, some dance studio Krav Maga and an outlet of the infamous Fang Shen Do... so, seriously, thanks for helping me avoid all that.

Omega Supreme
9/03/2013 2:09pm,
Black hearted?

I have a heart?

slamdunc
9/03/2013 2:33pm,
Welcome to Bullshido. Judo was an excellent choice IMHO. Those of us who actually have hearts are not offended.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii595/slamdunc1/MilitaryBanner_zpsd361578d.png (http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/slamdunc1/media/MilitaryBanner_zpsd361578d.png.html)

Permalost
9/03/2013 2:58pm,
Welcome to Bullshido. May your belly laughs grow at local inferior martial arts schools as your knowledge and physiology improve from judo.

jnp
9/03/2013 9:53pm,
Welcome to the site.

Throwing people is one of life's great pleasures.

OwlMatt
9/03/2013 10:00pm,
Welcome, Bayonet. You say you are getting back into martial arts; what martial arts have you done in the past?

Also, in honor of your screen name, here is a picture of the legendary Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido, demonstrating juken-jutsu:

wetware
9/03/2013 10:04pm,
Black hearted?

I have a heart?

I thought you kept a couple on the shelf with your other trophies.

Bayonet
9/03/2013 10:39pm,
Welcome, Bayonet. You say you are getting back into martial arts; what martial arts have you done in the past?

Also, in honor of your screen name, here is a picture of the legendary Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido, demonstrating juken-jutsu:

Haha. Nice pic.

I had brief stints at Shotokan and Kenpo dojos in the past, when I was a young dude. I followed the Kenpo for a few months until the guy running the dojo closed up and moved. Later, I spent a few months at Shotokan until I had to move away. Both dojos were heavily kata-oriented, so I really wasn't motivated to join anything new after heading to university. At that point, I thought MA were mostly dress-up and choreography.

I ended up staying away from MA for a long time after that. I served in the Infantry, which got me enough CQC sparring, pugil stick fighting and drunk-guys-at-the-mess brawling to convince me I MIGHT know how to fight, if desperate and full of whiskey.

Anyway, once I left the Army, I wanted to get involved in something that would keep me in shape, give me the odd adrenaline rush and keep my skills and SA up. Figured Judo would go a long way.

Omega Supreme
9/03/2013 11:20pm,
I thought you kept a couple on the shelf with your other trophies.
I eat them.

OwlMatt
9/04/2013 12:56pm,
Bullshit

They're playing Zen Snooker

That sounds like a euphemism.

Bayonet
9/07/2013 8:38am,
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Owlmatt, when I was younger I did short stints in Kenpo Karate and Shotokan Karate, no more than a few months at each. The Kenpo dojo shut down shortly after I joined, and I had to leave Shotokan after a few months when I moved away for school. Both schools seemed pretty stiff and kata-heavy, so I got turned off from other TMA training.

I later spent five years in the Infantry, and learned a bit of CQC. So I guess I know how to brawl well enough to barely survive until my friends come up and shoot the bastard.

That and some low-level douche-wrasslin' at various bars and messes is the sum total of my hand-to-hand experience.