PDA

View Full Version : is 49 too old to start learning judo?

Pages : [1] 2

jwmtele
8/16/2013 9:43pm,
hello all,I just turned 49,i am 5 foot 10 230 lbs in fair shape,could be alot better.In high school was a golden glove boxer for 2 years,after highschool studied strinking martial arts ,was green belt in both.I never had a chance to learn to grapple,i have always wanted to learn judo.A good friend in the military with me was a brown belt in judo,and he could throw me and anyone else with ease.There are a couple of good judo clubs near me and i am wanting to get into judo.Do you guys and gals think 49 is too old to learn judo?Any and all advice is most welcome.
thanks,
jim

jspeedy
8/16/2013 10:18pm,
Welcome to bullshido! What exactly is a golden gloves boxer? I've heard the term thrown around a lot and always just assumed it was a prestigous title. How does one become a golden gloves boxer in high school? Do you have to win matches? I ask these questions out of ignorance as I don't train boxing and have never really become acuainted with what may be common knowledge for boxers.

As for Judo for a 49 year old? Can't comment on that either, I don't train Judo and I'm not 49. I assume a Judoka gets thrown around frequently but I'm sure the right club will start you properly and knows what to do.

I'll just offer up FMA as an option. Weapons trainng is wasy on the body for the most part, as the weapon takes the abuse not your body. In many situations FMA offers the practitioner to take the training to the level of the practitioners desire. In my group the young guys spar with some pads and live ratten and those who don't want to do more controlled random saprring drills.

bkuddy
8/16/2013 10:38pm,
No 49 is not too old to learn Judo. You will not be as spry as an Olympic Judoka but I bet you'll feel great after the few classes. Before I restarted Judo, at the young age of 38, I spent some time running, stretching and doing some light weight training which I think helped alot. Dunno if that helps, but it's my two cents.

Devil
8/16/2013 11:55pm,
hello all,I just turned 49,i am 5 foot 10 230 lbs in fair shape,could be alot better.In high school was a golden glove boxer for 2 years,after highschool studied strinking martial arts ,was green belt in both.I never had a chance to learn to grapple,i have always wanted to learn judo.A good friend in the military with me was a brown belt in judo,and he could throw me and anyone else with ease.There are a couple of good judo clubs near me and i am wanting to get into judo.Do you guys and gals think 49 is too old to learn judo?Any and all advice is most welcome.
thanks,
jim

Everybody is going to say you can learn Judo and that's absolutely true.

It's going to be hard on your body. I think there comes a point when a full contact martial art can do more harm than good for your general well being. That's just my opinion.

OwlMatt
8/17/2013 12:17am,
Welcome to Bullshido.

I cannot speak from experience, since I am only 31 and not a judo player, but most guys I know who want to grapple competitively at middle age and beyond are into BJJ rather than judo. They say fewer hard falls makes it easier on the body.

Sam Browning
8/17/2013 12:47am,
I would agree. Judo involves a lot of hard contact with the ground (mat) and if you have any back problems at your age they will be exaserbated. In BJJ less emphasis is placed on throwing, and that which exists is less "dynamic" for lack of a better term. (less effort is made to throw people from height, and into the ground hard) You would probably last longer in BJJ.

CrackFox
8/17/2013 3:37am,
You won't know unless you try, but you might want to look at other options as well.

Nickosaurus
8/17/2013 7:14am,
There is a book called The Pyjama Game: A Journey into Judo (Its called failing Hard in the U.S) written by a chap called Mark Law who started Judo about the same age might be an interesting read for you

NeilG
8/17/2013 10:36am,
I'd say visit your prospective clubs and check out the practises. If one of them offers a recreational class where there are other adult beginners you should be fine. But if it's a competition-focussed club you should look elsewhere.

Vorpal
8/17/2013 2:20pm,
As a 48 year old I would say try BJJ instead. Although it is also very rigorous there is not quite the jarring and impact that you will get in Judo.

BKR
8/17/2013 8:34pm,
I'd say visit your prospective clubs and check out the practises. If one of them offers a recreational class where there are other adult beginners you should be fine. But if it's a competition-focussed club you should look elsewhere.

I agree. It will depend on the judo club. Check out the two in your area.

goodlun
8/17/2013 8:58pm,
I got tossed around like a rag doll by a man in his 70s that didn't start Judo till he was in his 40s so I would say no. Just as long as your ego can take having a 15 year old girl dump you on your head then choke you out you will be ok.

Coach Josh
8/18/2013 12:50am,
Ukemi is the deciding factor. Even at 42 I still get thrown and used as an uke regularly. Your main goal at any age ANY AGE when learning Judo is to have the best ukemi in class. Learning to protect yourself in judo is through Ukemi. Also good mats and a spring loaded floor.

NeilG
8/18/2013 8:21am,
Certainly good ukemi is a goal but it takes time to develop. Getting repeatedly buried by some young guy is not my idea of fun for a beginner his age. Frankly even with good ukemi not so much fun, so again, dojo culture is important. Similarly with BJJ - may not be so much throwing but the testosterone danger is just as high, maybe higher.

Southpaw
8/18/2013 4:44pm,
Much more qualified guys on this thread than me have answered...

But I'll give you my opinion anyhow.

Any good bjj school will have a high level judo guy associated with it...and will incorporate basic throws and takedowns as part of the core curriculum. At the Royce school I train at we have several really good Judo guys, though obviously most of our time is spent on the ground. I've always wanted to train judo and I feel like I get at least some exposure to it and its basics.

Obviously every bjj match starts on the feet...and honestly pulling guard is kind of gay when there is an opportunity to throw someone onto their head. I'm a blue belt so pretty much an authority on the subject.

Bayonet
9/04/2013 11:00am,
I'm 29 and I found I had a lot of problems with my knees when I started Judo. I got a set of soft Mizuno knee pads to wear under my gi, and now I never notice any problems. That should help a lot.