PDA

View Full Version : Don't all hate but...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Cuddles
7/31/2013 5:02pm,
I'm actually thinking about joining TKD just to get a black belt in a year (because apparently, it only takes a year for one at the local studio) so I can put it on my college app. And then throw it away.

I think it'll make my app stronger when tied with what I did for Wrestling (showing... dedication! As all my college advisers say)

Think it'll help?

Tranquil Suit
7/31/2013 5:13pm,
Why not invest your time in something more academic then?

ChenPengFi
7/31/2013 5:13pm,
Will you be starting a dance team?

Nickosaurus
7/31/2013 5:14pm,
I'm actually thinking about joining TKD just to get a black belt in a year (because apparently, it only takes a year for one at the local studio) so I can put it on my college app. And then throw it away.

I think it'll make my app stronger when tied with what I did for Wrestling (showing... dedication! As all my college advisers say)

Think it'll help?

Never done TKD, looks like fun but you're only doing it to help a collage application is that the best way to use those hours? Are you getting perfect grades? that would seem a much better use of time

goodlun
7/31/2013 5:19pm,
Your SAT scores are going to be far more important than a tdk black belt. Also you can take community college courses starting your HS jr. Year its a good way to spend a summer and a great way to show a college that you can manage a college level course.

Omega Supreme
7/31/2013 5:23pm,
I got my blackbelt in 3 months. Just saying.

Ke?poFist
7/31/2013 5:32pm,
I got my blackbelt in 3 months. Just saying.

You phenom

It is Fake
7/31/2013 5:33pm,
Your SAT scores are going to be far more important than a tdk black belt.
They are about equal nowadays. No, don't get me started.

Omega Supreme
7/31/2013 5:41pm,
You phenomThat or the forms are so friggin easy to learn comparitive to 30 to 60 movement forms I learned in kung-fu.

Phrost
7/31/2013 5:48pm,
Any school for which a TKD black belt is a deciding factor on your application should be avoided at all costs.

Permalost
7/31/2013 5:56pm,
Do you really want to be contributing to 1-year-blackbelt dojangs? If so, just save some time and money and buy a black belt from the World Head of Sokeship Council or whatever. Consider that if its on your college application, they may ask you about the value and work that went into it (so be ready to lie in either case).

Of course, you could spend your time doing something worthwhile that you'd enjoy and would look just as good on an application.

Phrost
7/31/2013 6:07pm,
We should start giving out black belts in Bullshido to people with over 20,000 varrots.

Tranquil Suit
7/31/2013 6:10pm,
Any school for which a TKD black belt is a deciding factor on your application should be avoided at all costs.
Heh, I was going to say this as well, but then I thought: "Must be an American thing. Better stay out of it."

Phrost
7/31/2013 6:14pm,
OP: you could do better by participating in investigations on fraudulent martial arts schools. Consumer Protection/Grass-Roots Fraud Busting would look much better on a resume to a bunch of people in tweed jackets than rank in a system of anti-social, abhorrent violence.

Holy Moment
7/31/2013 6:32pm,
Consumer Protection/Grass-Roots Fraud Busting would look much better on a resume to a bunch of people in tweed jackets than rank in a system of anti-social, abhorrent violence.

Not necessarily true. My streetfighting record helped me get into Lancaster Bible College.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfkHkdu5IEI

Mr. Machette
7/31/2013 6:33pm,
One year? Thats a lot of time invested for something you don't even believe in.

Dude, if it's a McDojo endorsement you seek, I'll award you a black belt in FISTADO for $25, a pinup of a chick sitting on the hood of a muscle car and a fat bag of weed.

Throw in a bottle of grape flavored MD 20/20 and I'll even award you a dan rank.

Get back at me, yo!