PDA

View Full Version : RAD Systems

Goldust
5/02/2004 2:26pm,
http://www.rad-systems.com/

There was an article in my local paper the other day about this. What I do is Submission Grappling and MMA so it isn’t really anything of interest to me or something that I would be very knowledgeable about but it does look like something that my wife might be interested in.

Any feedback from people who might be more familiar with this type of thing would be appreciated. Something that sounded odd to me was in the article they stated, “Specific techniques are not revealed outside the classes.” like they are hiding some kind of magic techniques or something. Without having anything to look at it makes it kind of hard for me to evaluate it. They do have some videos on the website however but I’m not quite sure what to make of them.

http://www.rad-systems.com/offer.html

En
5/02/2004 2:31pm,
From what I've seen (flipping through books on self-defense for women, talking to girls who take the 'women's self defense' course at my school) it's mostly BS.

Save money and time by buying your wife a can of Mace. Cheaper and more effective.

Edit: The 'fighting part of the course is mostly BS', I can't comment on the other aspects (awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance) which may have some merit.

bunyip
5/02/2004 2:37pm,
Originally posted by En
other aspects (awareness, prevention, risk reduction and risk avoidance) which may have some merit.

I would argue that these are the most important part of the course.

Also, I agree.

Gringo Grande
5/02/2004 2:42pm,
This may not be a popular opinion, but I firmly believe that the most important thing for a woman to learn in "self-defence" is avoidance. How to make others aware of a potentially bad situation in public...whether it be an overly amorous and drunk male at a bar...basic avoidance and awareness. For actual physical self-defence, I personally feel Krav-Maga is excellent for women although (and not being sexist) if a man really wants to ****-up a female, he is going to do so. However, serious resistance does tend to help.

Gringo Grande

fernando
5/02/2004 2:45pm,
im not sure why there are wearing all the padding

Wounded Ronin
5/02/2004 7:50pm,
Originally posted by Gringo Grande
if a man really wants to ****-up a female, he is going to do so.

Unless she has a knife and is able to slice open one of his arteries. Whoops! Splurt.....

WhiteShark
5/02/2004 8:00pm,
Look at this page: http://www.rad-systems.com/board.html

Why would you learn MA from people whose ass you could kick?

GregW
5/02/2004 9:15pm,
This program is offered once or twice each year on campus. It usually fills up, given that we have no shortage of violent crime, including two suspected serial killers in Parish Prison. I've wondered about the program - it costs about $25 for a total of 12 hours of instruction. I have no intention of taking it myself, but is it worth recommending to people? I suggested it to two women I work with who were frightened by recent events and at the absolute beginner level regarding personal protection. I figured that something was probably better than nothing, even though I was not familiar with RAD. Any advice/experiences that I could pass on would be appreciated.

Hedgehogey
5/02/2004 9:18pm,
We have had this debate before.

The consensus was that women's SD courses suck.

En
5/02/2004 9:22pm,
Jeeze, why waste time and money on self defense courses when you can just go BUY MACE. It's more deadly on the ground than BJJ and more devastating than MT in a clinch. It also comes in small keychain varities. The ultimate anti-grappling anti-striking art.

The only damn thing short of a firearm that will really protect a woman if she's attacked.

Wounded Ronin
5/02/2004 9:32pm,
Originally posted by En
Jeeze, why waste time and money on self defense courses when you can just go BUY MACE. It's more deadly on the ground than BJJ and more devastating than MT in a clinch. It also comes in small keychain varities. The ultimate anti-grappling anti-striking art.

The only damn thing short of a firearm that will really protect a woman if she's attacked.

Is mace really effective? If someone pulled a can of mace on you, couldn't you just clamp a hand over the nozzle?

Besides, if someone has no hand to hand combat instincts or background at all they might be slow on the draw or hold the mace in a stupid way that makes it easy to get disarmed.

Wounded Ronin
5/02/2004 9:33pm,
Originally posted by WhiteShark
Look at this page: http://www.rad-systems.com/board.html

Why would you learn MA from people whose ass you could kick?

From that page:

A former Adjunct Instructor with Heckler and Koch, I.T.D., Kathy teaches defensive tactics skills nationwide.

She might be able to shoot you well.

katana
5/02/2004 11:11pm,
Originally posted by En

Mace has a few problems:

1) It usually is not accessible when you need it most (sudden attack or when stunned).
2) You may get it in your own face just as well as the attacker's or have it used against you.
3) If the attacker is armed they can probably still slice/shoot you.
4) It's illegal to possess or even buy in some areas.

(note the above also applies to most weapons)

At least with grappling you have a chance when you're taken to the ground. As far as martial arts go for women, they are far better off knowing ground grappling because that's where they'll likely end up if attacked by a man.

I'm all for using weapons if you can, but you really should have a backup plan in case you can't deploy it properly (which is largely the case for most people who don't train to use the weapon frequently).

SamHarber
5/03/2004 3:43am,
I've just watched the video clips. I don't doubt that the women were giving it everything they had, but it was painfully obvious that they were not having any effect and the attackers were just playing along.

I'm disturbed.

WhiteShark
5/03/2004 7:01am,
Watched the videos, oh man, can you say false sense of security. Obviously you can't always judge the intensity in a video. BUT one undeniable fact remains. None of the "attackers" ever hit the women in the face! I guess they are assuming the bad guy won't do that? Especially after she hits him in the face?