PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts Sports entertainment.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Colin
5/01/2004 9:48am,
Right.. I'll first start by saying that I like to watch the occasional professional wrestling match. I don't get it on any channels myself, but every now and then, a friend brings a tape over of the latest RAW, SMACKDOWN! or whatever - and we have a mighty old time watching these mountains of muscle beat the **** out of each other for the camera.

I like the cheesy storylines.
I like the trash talking.
I like to see the trash talkers get punished. It's all great fun.

However...

The choreography.. What I'd REALLY like to see, is a comparable show - though instead of pro-wrestling - you have different martial artists.

Simply - you have the same bullshit larger-than-life personalities, the same type of cornball acting, same type of trash-talking, etc.. But instead of the current BS wrestling, you have some BS martial art fighting.

Getting choreographers like Yuen Kwai, Yuen Wo Ping and Sammo Hung to fabricate some sensational Hong Kong movie-like fight scenes between the actors would make for a similar experience, but would just look a whole lot cooler.

It would take probably alot more preparation for some fast-action fight scenes, though I am sure professional martial artist entertainers (that's what they'd be called, I guess) could improvise many things on the spot to make a pretty spectacular live event sport.

Another thing.. Since there are more than enough varied martial art stereotypes, a pretty large cast could easily have their own identifiable style and persona without too many crossover similarities between characters, and without needing most matches to look pretty much the same (as is the case with pro-wrestling, most guys have pretty much the same technique repertoire with little variation)

Ok.. So that pretty much sums it up. The question I am asking here - is what do you guys think about such an event. Would you watch it on T.V.? Would you like to participate? Do you think that It would worsen the martial art image, and be mostly conducive to a whole new level of Bullshido McDojo ****? What do you think?

Gezere
5/01/2004 10:57am,
They tried that its called WMAC MASTERS!!!:D IT SUCKED! I know firsthand.

Colin
5/01/2004 11:01am,
Hmm.. ok. Did it suck in terms of the concept being handled badly, or suck in terms of:
"There is no way that this concept could work.."
And by the way - I'll look up that WMAC masters stuff.. I don't know anything about it.

Te(V)plar
5/01/2004 11:27am,
I would love to see a Pride of UFC style fighting sport where teams of fighters verse other teams. A fighter would go until he defeats one fighter, then moves onto the next. There would be a 5 minute break in between for him to recover a little. If he gets defeated his team mate takes his place. Winning team is the one that goes through all the other teams guys. Or, we could bring back "tag teams".

Oh, and I intended for this to be real. Not WWF stuff.

Gezere
5/01/2004 11:28am,
Read the article inthe WMAC masters thread it pretty much sums it up.

Ther was no 'willing suspention of disbelief' (a term I learned doing a play in college for why pple are able to get into movies, shows, etc)

The plots were stupid. The concept needed major work. And it was full of BULLSHIDO type content.

Gezere
5/01/2004 11:32am,
You do have promtions lke UFO (Universal Fighting Organization) and old SHOOTO matches where they have very realistic shows (show being a term for a fake/kayfave match.)

jubei33
5/01/2004 11:41am,
wmac was funny... 25 ninjas and not one can land a blow............or maybe its just that ninjas just blow..

CrimsonTiger
5/02/2004 12:48am,
My buddies and I thought of a similar idea to this for something local...never got it off the ground though.

Now that I think about it, it may just work...

MrMcFu
5/02/2004 12:55am,
Man Herb Perez was in it. You know, Gold medal TKDist . . .

Greese
5/02/2004 1:11am,
I don't have a lot of desire or any to watch it if it is not real. If it is going to be coregraphed, why not wrestling? I would say that what they use is about as realistic as a lot of attacks in other arts.

Mr. Mantis
5/02/2004 8:07am,
If done right, sure it could be a sensation, but think of the repercussions. If something like this got big we would have ingrained bullshido in the hearts and minds of the masses, further setting back the cause to get people's heads out of their asses.

And, your martial arts schools would be overrun by hordes of r00b n00bs!

BlackBeltNow
5/02/2004 1:17pm,
Originally posted by jubei33
wmac was funny... 25 ninjas and not one can land a blow............or maybe its just that ninjas just blow..

the fighters had a hit-point meter. they can like take only 5 shots.

there was also a kata competition where the score is determined by funky variables

ClintEQ
5/02/2004 7:15pm,
WMAC Masters, I remember that show. There was a guy on it, Hakim Alston, "The Machine". He came down to my studio one day as him and my Sifu at the time were apparently friends. I was impressed. The guy was frighteningly well conditioned, and fast as hell. I just watched him work out, so I can't really vouch for his skills, but I'm pretty sure he had a decent full contact record.

BlackBeltNow
5/02/2004 11:00pm,
Originally posted by ClintEQ
WMAC Masters, I remember that show. There was a guy on it, Hakim Alston, "The Machine". He came down to my studio one day as him and my Sifu at the time were apparently friends. I was impressed. The guy was frighteningly well conditioned, and fast as hell. I just watched him work out, so I can't really vouch for his skills, but I'm pretty sure he had a decent full contact record.

didn't machine like take off his robot arms when he was in the arena? i remember making fun of his alias for that.

alex
5/03/2004 3:57am,
id watch it. I did always think, when watching WWF, why they didnt have some kind of frank dux guy or a nonja or something, just to add some spice.

X_plosion
5/03/2004 9:08am,
Well, there were some guys known as "Super Ninjas" back around 1989 in the WWF. They were managed by (Surprise, Surprise!) MR. FUJI!

One of them had a match with the Ultimate Warrior, an alumnus of Red Bastein's "Power team U.S.A" (Or was it "Power team America"?)

Anyway, the result: Match won by the Warrior in less than a minute.