PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of this guy in NY?

Pages : [1] 2

Matt W.
4/30/2004 10:38am,
So, I'm arguing over on Elmore's forum with this WC Instructor. Makes all the typical claims about being a badman street fighter. All unverifiable, of course. So, I called him a liar. Here's what he said in response...

Phil knows me on a personal level..... so does guitarzan. Oh yeah and my students...... OH... and the known martial arts community here in New York.

His website is here...
www.syracusewingchun.com

So, anybody from NY know this guy? What's his deal? Seems total bullshido to me.

Matt

dramaboy
4/30/2004 10:47am,
Difficult to say.
The headcrank pics suck mightily though. You can't just grab the head without controlling the opponent first.
The JKD and Escrima part looks better than the WC part.

Tomas

Osu
4/30/2004 11:09am,
Nono you haven't seen their vids I guess. They're teh deadly!
Watch this: http://www.syracusewingchun.com/wcmedia.html
And this: http://www.syracusewingchun.com/wcmovies.html (especially defence against round kick)

I never heard of them, but they sure make me laugh.

Matt Bernius
4/30/2004 12:38pm,
I can't speak for the head WC instructor, Anthony.

But the JKD/Kali guy, Sifu Eric is good. He's in Inasanto's downline through Kevin Seamen (so his Kali is Inasanot blend, take that for what you will). His Wing Chun comes from Francis Fong. Sifu Eric's moves fast for someone of his size and he can easily bring his weight to bare in paks and strikes.

- Matt

MaverickZ
4/30/2004 12:52pm,
i have a stupid question. i'm a beginner at wing chun so maybe i'm missing something, but how come every chi sau video i see the guys are just kinda touching or brushing with their forearms. the guy who teaches it here puts a lot of forward pressure when he does it, with force behind the moves.

Xango
4/30/2004 2:10pm,
Because in the videos you're seeing Wing Chun of the crappy, useless variety.

Chi Sau is an attempt to punch each other, not a flopping-around game.

Have you seen video of Emin Boztepe doing chi sau? It's constant forward pressure and a lot of being punched in the head.

WingChun Lawyer
4/30/2004 2:19pm,
Originally posted by MaverickZ
i have a stupid question. i'm a beginner at wing chun so maybe i'm missing something, but how come every chi sau video i see the guys are just kinda touching or brushing with their forearms. the guy who teaches it here puts a lot of forward pressure when he does it, with force behind the moves.

As far as I know, chi sao is just a sensitivity drill. You may translate some of those moves directly into fighting, but it is not sparring, and is usually trained very lightly (although with forward pressure, and it is not unusual to hit the other guy when he opens a gate - my glasses are witnesses to this).

SlimJim
4/30/2004 2:31pm,
Maverick, I looked into WT/EBMAS for little while before choosing JKD and recall that the pirmary thing that I was always told was "KEEP FORWARD PRESSURE!"

If you're saying that you haven't really been introduced to that, it may may be something that will be brought in down the road. My understanding is that it is a cornerstone to the WT/WC/EBMAS teaching.

MaverickZ
4/30/2004 2:35pm,
ok cool thanks. actually i have been introduced to it, i was wondering why in all the videos i have seen there wasn't any. but you guys answered my question about that, thanks a lot i appreciate it.

dramaboy
4/30/2004 5:52pm,
Ok. I looked at the vids, the WC is tEh d3adddly indeed. The escrima wasn't much better, but I can't really judge that.

Tomas

Djimbe
4/30/2004 6:02pm,
Mav :

In my early Training (you know , Pre-Internet) Landing a Punch on the other guy was how you knew you , well , "scored" or "Won" anything . It meant that you were Sensitive enough to Find , or exploitive enough to CREATE that hole in your Partner's defense .

stoogejitsu
5/01/2004 2:52am,
From the videos I would say that this "BADMAN" couldn't fight his way out of a wet-paper sack, just an observation drawn from the info/media I have.

Matt W.
5/04/2004 5:27am,
Matt, thanks for the info. It's too bad you don't know Iglesies, though. I have no idea if they guy can actually fight, though I suspect not, but here's some of the little gems of wisdom he's hit me up with since I've been over there...

on his vast street fighting experience (of course!)...
I grew up on the streets of New York City. I was in a gang for most of my teenage life.... not to be cool... but for survival. I have been in at least 10 multiple attacker situations when staying on my feet and being able to MOVE kept me alive.

On Aikido...
Let's look at the art of Aikido..... they can move in and out of multiple opponents easily

This, from a WING CHUN guy...
Theorize all you want...... until you walk the battle field yourself.... all you have is un-proven theory.

On someone complaining that WC is less effective if it takes years to be able to use it effectievly...
Spoken like a true failed MA'ist. It takes YEARS to learn how to paint, YEARS to learn how to pla music, YEARS in college, YEARS learning to talk, YEARS learing to stand upight. I guess those things are'nt worth anything huh?

On his other qualifications...
I... am "certified" in Krav Maga.

On the UFC...
Moral of the story, the UFC, K-1 and Pride machine is built on making money... LOT'S OF MONEY. They won't show you ANY footage of the auditions. Even though there are hospital records proving a few wrestlers and BJJ guys got put there during the auditions. By who?

Heh. See what I'm up against?

Matt

drunkenj
5/04/2004 6:30am,
http://www.syracusewingchun.com/newwcpics0008.jpg

well look who we've found on that sight..... fat gun nut phil from phils 'dirty fighting' ezine

Matt W.
5/04/2004 6:35am,
Oh yes. He's Phil's "Sifu".

Te(V)plar
5/04/2004 6:37am,
Originally posted by drunkenj
http://www.syracusewingchun.com/newwcpics0008.jpg

well look who we've found on that sight..... fat gun nut phil from phils 'dirty fighting' ezine God, I don't think I could ever get into something that looked like that.