PDA

View Full Version : I am a 1st Kyu in GKR, AMA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

1stKyuGKR
3/23/2013 12:18pm,
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Let me introduce myself. My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years. In case you're wondering, I am quite slow in terms of our style. Normally people reach their black belt in an average of 7 years.

I joined this forum after researching some things about my karate style. I have known for a while that GKR is somewhat frowned upon by other martial arts styles. I didn't really look into it any further until quite recently. I've since stumbled across numerous forum posts, articles, blogs and websites on the net which say a lot of very negative things about GKR.

May I just add that I have not come on here as an official representative of GKR, nor have I come on here to tell you those stories aren't true. However, what I have come on to do is to answer your questions, and hopefully, gain an understanding of the broader meta of the karate world as I do so.

I have seen a lot of forum posts which make a lot of assumptions about the way GKR is run. Most of these are true, but some of them don't have a full understanding of the way the club works. I am here to clarify, from my own experience, these assumptions. I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.

I can answer questions about our technique, grading system, region structure, what we do in class, tournaments, and other general things about the style. What I CANNOT answer are questions about:
1) Specific Senseis (I will not name any names, for the sake of confidentiality)

2) The business structure of the company (I am merely a student).

3) The way the company recruits salespeople (I am merely a student).

4) How senseis are instructed to teach (I am merely a student).

5) The training background of Robert Sullivan and Stacy Karetsian (I have not met them)

Sorry to drill that in, it's just that from all the negative things I've read about our style, most of the gripes I have found have come from people's experiences with GKR's recruiting process, an area which I know little about. I however was recruited to the style by one of the "door to door salespeople" many years ago so I can give an account of my experiences with them if necessary.

One other thing: I can only give you information from my personal experience in my particular area. GKR is a very large club, and things can differ greatly from region to region. My particular region is Region 10 in Queensland. This region represents the southside of Brisbane's suburbs. I can give you information related to my experiences in this region and the surrounding areas only. In particular I cannot address anything that has happened in the UK. From my readings I have found there seems to have been some very funny business conducted in GKR in the UK. Unfortunately that's something I know nothing about and can't help you there.

However in the interest of trying to clear the waters about the style, I am open to any and all questions. Please do not be silly/abusive with your questions. I have already read plenty of accusations of McDojo-ness and would like this to remain a friendly and civil conversation.

I look forward to answering your questions.

Regards,

1stKyuGKR

1stKyuGKR
3/23/2013 12:23pm,
NOTE: I also posted this thread in the Japanese styles subforum, however this forum seems somewhat appropriate as well. So, moderators, I apologise for the repost, but it felt appropriate.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Let me introduce myself. My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years. In case you're wondering, I am quite slow in terms of our style. Normally people reach their black belt in an average of 7 years.

I joined this forum after researching some things about my karate style. I have known for a while that GKR is somewhat frowned upon by other martial arts styles. I didn't really look into it any further until quite recently. I've since stumbled across numerous forum posts, articles, blogs and websites on the net which say a lot of very negative things about GKR.

May I just add that I have not come on here as an official representative of GKR, nor have I come on here to tell you those stories aren't true. However, what I have come on to do is to answer your questions, and hopefully, gain an understanding of the broader meta of the karate world as I do so.

I have seen a lot of forum posts which make a lot of assumptions about the way GKR is run. Most of these are true, but some of them don't have a full understanding of the way the club works. I am here to clarify, from my own experience, these assumptions. I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.

I can answer questions about our technique, grading system, region structure, what we do in class, tournaments, and other general things about the style. What I CANNOT answer are questions about:
1) Specific Senseis (I will not name any names, for the sake of confidentiality)

5) The training background of Robert Sullivan and Stacy Karetsian (I have not met them)

Sorry to drill that in, it's just that from all the negative things I've read about our style, most of the gripes I have found have come from people's experiences with GKR's recruiting process, an area which I know little about. I however was recruited to the style by one of the "door to door salespeople" many years ago so I can give an account of my experiences with them if necessary.

One other thing: I can only give you information from my personal experience in my particular area. GKR is a very large club, and things can differ greatly from region to region. My particular region is Region 10 in Queensland. This region represents the southside of Brisbane's suburbs. I can give you information related to my experiences in this region and the surrounding areas only. In particular I cannot address anything that has happened in the UK. From my readings I have found there seems to have been some very funny business conducted in GKR in the UK. Unfortunately that's something I know nothing about and can't help you there.

However in the interest of trying to clear the waters about the style, I am open to any and all questions. Please do not be silly/abusive with your questions. I have already read plenty of accusations of McDojo-ness and would like this to remain a friendly and civil conversation.

Regards,

1stKyuGKR

CrackFox
3/23/2013 12:37pm,
Are you going to stay in the style?

Cuddles
3/23/2013 12:42pm,
NOTE: I also posted this thread in the Japanese styles subforum, however this forum seems somewhat appropriate as well. So, moderators, I apologise for the repost, but it felt appropriate.

You posted in MABS for upping your own style? Well, that's a new one.

Anywho, reposts are NEVER appropriate as you can ask mods to move them to the appropriate sections. They're very active and are more than willing to move a thread for you. They are also quite nice as long as you aren't full of crap and respect them.

Try to read the stickies on top of the forum, and lurk some more before posting. I trust that you have no idea what you mean by seeing a lot of negative air about GKR here just because you posted in what could quite possibly be the worst section of the forum to post this in. (Except Trollshido... maybe)

Go over to Newbietown to make an introduction and Gym/School Reviews if you want to review your school. Also, if you can only give your personal experiences (and not others), you're more biased than someone who's watched videos of training and analyzed it objectively.
Newbietown
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64
School Reviews
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83

@Crackfox, reading his post, I'd say that he's going to be staying in his style.

I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate. I live and train in Brisbane, Australia. I am 19 years old and have been training for 9 years.

I thought those of you who are interested may find it useful to ask someone who is an actual practitioner of GKR.

"Train" is in present tense. "Is" is in present tense. Training for 9 years already, with that dedication, it'd be a waste to quit without good reason to. Because OP is defending GKR, it seems that there aren't good reasons to.

Resonance10
3/23/2013 12:44pm,
My real name will remain anonymous. However, I am a 1st Kyu student of Go Kan Ryu Karate.

Right. We'll just take your word for it then..

You seem prepared to answer all the questions no one is asking.

What is a 1st Kyu student supposed to have attained, skill wise or competitively?

I am unfamiliar with Karate ranks in general and GKA's in particular so how far are you from a black belt?

Do you teach?

Thanks.

CrackFox
3/23/2013 12:50pm,
@Crackfox, reading his post, I'd say that he's going to be staying in his style.

I didn't ask you the question.

Cuddles
3/23/2013 12:52pm,
Right. We'll just take your word for it then..

You seem prepared to answer all the questions no one is asking.

Well, I'll follow your lead.

Based on http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25456&highlight=Go+Kan+Ryu+Karate

It seems that
GKR focuses on non-contact point fighting and 'self-defense'. One online sensei has argued against full contact training asking 'Which would you prefer, to get beaten up a thousand times in training, or once in the street?'
Is that true?

Do you believe that point sparring skills transfer to street fighting skills?
What is your training based on? Shadow boxing? Bags? Sparring? Forms? Preset combinations?
Do you use weapons? (Though Karate is "empty hand")
How are you taught to fight? Stance, strategy, positioning, etc.

Looking up, it seems that it's actually Goju Ryu instead of Gokun Ryu? I'm finding nothing on Gokun Ryu.

Resonance10
3/23/2013 1:00pm,
If I remember correctly Cuddles it is supposed to be a mix of Goju ( Go ) and Shotokan ( Kan ) I was interviewed once for a position teaching this style. I know you didn't ask me! Hopefully 1stkyugkr will correct me if I'm off base.

slamdunc
3/23/2013 1:09pm,
I was interviewed once for a position teaching this style. I have heard of people going into teaching disciplines that weren't their own style. So if they would have hired you to teach this, I presume there would be a brief period of training you to do it their way?!?!

I have been researching GKR and can't really find a lot about how the style trains.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii595/slamdunc1/MilitaryBanner_zpsd361578d.png

Resonance10
3/23/2013 1:19pm,
I have heard of people going into teaching disciplines that weren't their own style. So if they would have hired you to teach this, I presume there would be a brief period of training you to do it their way?!?!

I have been researching GKR and can't really find a lot about how the style trains.

I was told that given my background I would pick the syllabus up quickly, I'd just go to a few classes and see how they were run and learn the forms along the way. It was a pyramid selling kinda deal iirc..long time ago.. I went along mainly because i smelled BS from the dude who knocked on my door. Not to try and big myself up but he went a bit pale and back peddled out of the door when I demoed some South Mantis.. I was honestly just curious because of the whole South Chinese - Okinawa styles connection. ( the reason for the demo ). I'd given my number and got a call.

Fuzzy
3/23/2013 1:24pm,
1stKyuGKR: Could you give me a run-down of what your average class consists of?

Vieux Normand
3/23/2013 1:28pm,
Hi everyone,

Regards,

1stKyuGKR

Okay, here's a couple of things you can do if you're interested in explaining/defending GKR:

1) If you haven't already done so, introduce yourself in the subforum where introductions are usually done. If the moderator doesn't move your above post, you can steer anyone who's interested to it.

2) Look up these negative things you've read about GKR, cite them properly (who wrote what and when), and then offer the responses you think are appropriate. Be sure to back up everything you write with whatever relevant support you can...but remember that this does not mean tales and anecdotes.

Good luck.

jnp
3/23/2013 2:24pm,
Greetings 1stKyuGKR, welcome to Bullshido.

For your information, cross posting the same thread in multiple forums is prohibited by our Terms of Service. Please do not do that again.

The second forum you posted in, Martial Arts BS, Fraud, Investigations, and Skepticism, or MABS, exists for the purpose of investigating martial fraud. By starting a thread about GKR in MABS you are implying it is fraudulent in some manner. It seems from the tone of your post that this is not your intention.

Therefore I have merged both threads and moved the new thread to Newbietown, a forum where other members are required to be nice to you. I predict that feature might come in handy for you.

Vorpal
3/23/2013 3:40pm,
A quick video demonstrating some strikes/kicks, katas or sparring would be huge.

Soldiermedic
3/23/2013 4:24pm,
Could you explain how the pyramid marketing gimmicks make you a better martial artist?

Also could you tell us what qualifies you to be a representative of GKR when you're not even a dan grade?

Resonance10
3/23/2013 5:12pm,
While 1stkyugkr is away, here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoVcmOU8igY

Some form demos, then some technique ( Bunkai? ) where the recipient acts as though he's actually being hit.

The younger of the two doing the kata doesn't look awful.

Oh and then there is this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=POWWlAHSlto&hl=en-GB&gl=GB