PDA

View Full Version : Late Post - Mrs TEA got me a new holster

Pages : [1] 2

TEA
2/15/2013 10:38pm,
for Christmas. Because it is a fully custom build, I didn't get it until January 21st. I've been a bit busy with my wife having twins and all, so just got around to posting now.

No one makes exactly what I wanted (cross draw w/ thumb break and snap on/off belt loops), so this is a truly custom build from Dwight's Gunleather (http://www.dwightsgunleather.com/). It is also suede lined to be a bit easier on the finish. He threw in the mag carrier as an added bonus for no extra charge because we're Interwebz friends from the M14 forum and he knew I'd be strapped for cash after the twins came.

This holster is for open carry out at the ranch, not concealed carry, so concealment is not a concern. My main goals for the design were: 1) easy on and off for when I go into town; 2) cross draw so I can reach my pistol easily in my truck or in a blind; 3) thumb break to secure the pistol even if I'm hanging upside down in a tree. If and when I get my CHL, I'm planning on going with a Garret Industries Silent Thunder Fusion (http://garrettindustries.mybigcommerce.com/silent-thunder-fusion/).

Rock Ape
2/16/2013 9:46am,
Do you normally carry with the hammer back ?

TEA
2/16/2013 11:38am,
Do you normally carry with the hammer back ?

Yes - "condition one (http://www.gunreports.com/news/handguns/Cocked-Locked-Jeff-Cooper-Pistol-Conditions-Cheaper-Than-Dirt_4469-1.html)," "cocked and locked." The 1911 has both a grip safety and a manual thumb safety that prevents the hammer from falling unless both have been disengaged. In addition to the two mechanical safeties on the pistol itself, the thumb break on the holster not only serves to retain the pistol in the holster but also as a third safety between the cocked hammer and the firing pin.

Scut Farkus
2/16/2013 4:09pm,
Cocked and locked is the appropriate way to carry the 1911.

Rock Ape
2/16/2013 4:20pm,
Thanks for the info guys, having never fired the 1911 I wasn't aware of the weapons mechanisms.

From my Mil background, seeing a weapon in that condition causes me to want to jump up and down in a fit of WI's rage. But that's only because of I'm completely inexperienced in living in a country where civilian possession, open carry and condition 1 is legal :-)

Scut Farkus
2/16/2013 4:33pm,
Thanks for the info guys, having never fired the 1911 I wasn't aware of the weapons mechanisms.

From my Mil background, seeing a weapon in that condition causes me to want to jump up and down in a fit of WI's rage. But that's only because of I'm completely inexperienced in living in a country where civilian possession, open carry and condition 1 is legal :-)

Yeah, I didn't get into 1911s until after I was out of the military and seeing them cocked in the holster gave me the willies before I was educated on them.

Now I recommend all Americans who carry a weapon familiarize themselves with the 1911. It's single stack magazine will make it the best game in town whenever the gun Nazis finally succeed in banning high capacity magazines.

Rock Ape
2/16/2013 4:36pm,
What's the weight all up with a charged magazine ?

Scut Farkus
2/16/2013 4:55pm,
Don't know how much Tea's weighs, but they're heavy. It varies a lot because unlike Glocks, etc. there are infinite variations of the 1911. Some have aluminum frames, there are different length slides, some parts may be skeletonized, different grip materials. It goes on an on.

They're heavy. Creeping up on the 3 pound range for a full sized, steel frame 1911 loaded with heavier grain bullets. You're going to be several ounces heavier than a loaded Glock of the same caliber and it holds half the ammo.

TEA
2/16/2013 6:07pm,
The one in this video is 2lb 12oz loaded with and 8rd magazine. I haven't put mine on a scale, but since its a pretty standard Colt (none of the mods I've done should have added much, if any, weight), it should weigh the same as the one in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly5UnR7pPtk

Scut Farkus
2/16/2013 6:16pm,
I love that guy's videos.

TEA
2/16/2013 6:44pm,
Here"s a cool animation,

http://www.stiguns.com/resources/trainingtool/

TEA
2/16/2013 6:50pm,
One nice thing about the weight of the 1911 is that it helps cut down on felt recoil.

Scut Farkus
2/16/2013 9:05pm,
I'm going to make a confession. The very first time I held a 1911 (didn't shoot it though) I was about 20 and in the Corps. It belonged to a buddy of mine. He bought it and wanted me to take a look.

I was like WTF is with the grip safety for ****'s sake? AND a thumb safety? AND an external hammer? Do I look like I want to navigate through a fucking Rube Goldberg machine before I get the high privilege of firing off eight whole rounds? Did some kid at the school for the blind design this ugly piece of ****? Pfft. The M9 Beretta is WAY better.

Youth is wasted on the young.

TEA
2/17/2013 1:48am,
It took me a while to get comfortable with carrying in Condition One. One of the guys over on the 1911 Forum suggested to carry cocked and locked sans magazine around the house and doing chores to get comfortable with it. Between that and a lot of range time, I'm completely comfortable with carrying on Condition One now.

Robstafarian
2/17/2013 4:40pm,
I was never spooked by condition one: I was too busy being spooked by handling a lethal weapon. I learned my 1911 inside and out, including studying its history*, and all that remained was a healthy respect for the consequences of fucking up. I hate that I had to sell itóand I genuinely miss itóbut I think I'm going to get a GLOCK 19 (when I've got the money for a gun again) so that carrying is more feasible.

*My 1911 was an M1911A1 clone, but it came with a flat mainspring housing due to market demand. Having noticed that I naturally pointed low, I recalled that the A1 revision included an arched mainspring housing to counter that exact problem. After installing an A1-correct arched mainspring housing, my natural point of aim was absolutely perfect.

Vorpal
2/18/2013 9:22am,
It looks like you got a good holster, sounds like you have an amazing wife. Good for you brother. Oh, and 1911 in condition 1? All day.