PDA

View Full Version : OK should I train here? (Possible Bullshido?)

Pages : [1] 2

IkeH
1/24/2013 11:36pm,
Ok this "Karate" school moved really close to where I live. Like 5 minute walking distance from where I live.

Since it's so close, I looked it up to see if I should give it a shot.

I found some stuff on the site that made me sad (looking at the curriculum and seeing stupid stances and testing and stuff). However, the lead guy there seems to be at least a semi-competent Kickboxer (but he has a poor MMA record). The dude's name is Kadir Kadri. I found two YouTube videos of him fighting in kickboxing.

Here's their website( --seafordkempo(dot)com/?Profile=0-- ). What do you guys think? I'm going to send them an email soon asking them about certain stuff (contact sparring etc.) I mean I don't want to be a pro fighter or anything, but I don't want to go to a joke school either.

Thanks!

—Ike.

erezb
1/25/2013 3:31am,
If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.

PointyShinyBurn
1/25/2013 5:16am,
If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.

IkeH
1/25/2013 11:26am,
If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.

Thanks. I want to get out there in the coming weeks. I'd go tomorrow but I applied to a job recently and whether I get it would change some things.

If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.

Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?

PointyShinyBurn
1/25/2013 11:56am,
Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.

IkeH
1/25/2013 11:58am,
A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.

Ahh Ok. Thanks for the info.

IkeH
1/25/2013 5:36pm,
Did some more digging and found out they were an affiliate of this chain (wwwDOTshaolinkempoDOTcom/) and I saw some things that were unsavory there when I put the lead guy's name into YouTube. Hmm.

I'll still probably stop by and check out a kickboxing class soon because it's so close.

Rock Ape
1/25/2013 5:56pm,
Yeah whatever

goodlun
1/27/2013 1:42am,
Save yourself find a Judo school near by such as
https://plus.google.com/114502389967453489071/about?gl=us&hl=en
or
https://plus.google.com/112229102361333327150/about?gl=us&hl=en

IkeH
1/27/2013 2:01am,
I'd love to go to Combat Judo but I have a lot of wrist/elbow issues. Grappling hurts really badly. Punching doesn't hurt anywhere near as much.

Rock Ape
1/27/2013 9:27am,
IkeH.

Convince me you're not actually representing the school in question and you're not here just in an attempt at soliciting some free advertising ?

Like this dufuss:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119657

IkeH
1/27/2013 7:25pm,
What do you need me to do to convince you?

I mean you can see that my first thread isn't about this school so...?

Omega Supreme
1/27/2013 9:03pm,
What do you need me to do to convince you?

I mean you can see that my first thread isn't about this school so...?There's a weird coincidence going on where there are two threads essentially talking about the same school(s).

IkeH
1/27/2013 9:12pm,
There's a weird coincidence going on where there are two threads essentially talking about the same school(s).

Where is the other thread? Do you mean the original one I started? That one is a totally different school (a cardio kickboxing school, basically) with a different website.

Omega Supreme
1/27/2013 9:15pm,
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119657

IkeH
1/27/2013 9:40pm,
Wow, jesus. Totally coincidental. Damn.

I mean if you want you can even delete this thread now that my question has been answered.