PDA

View Full Version : Training Against Friends

Pages : [1] 2 3

Guerilla Fists
4/26/2004 11:43am,
Most of the time my my friends are absolutely terrified of what would happen if they fought me, the exception of course being when they're drunk.

Last Friday I fought two of my friends for an hour in the backyard of another friend. It was a lot of fun and they went as hard as smashed guys can go. Of course I stole on them, they had a few good hits in, but it was no contest. And if they're reading this then yeah, that's right, I said it, what?!

At one point my bigger friend lunged at my face with a flurry of punches but I swatted them away with open palm strikes (tiger paws for those of you who want something to make fun of) and lofted coming high off the ground on a leg. I imagine what it must have looked like to have a body looming over you for one moment before an open palm comes crashing down on the top of your face. I smashed and dropped all the body weight with my left on to his face then swept across with another open palm with my right hand gripping his face and sending him to the floor. LOL, he wobbled when he got up.

Anyway, my point is I think this kind of training is beneficial to MAists and fighters alike because it prepares you somewhat for many confrontations from courageous young guys.

Anyone have similar experiences?

WhiteShark
4/26/2004 11:49am,
Frankly most of my friends won't even play with me anymore. And if they do they are so outclassed they usually do stupid stuff like pinch me and piss me off.

Wounded Ronin
4/26/2004 12:13pm,
I once did something like that with a bunch of friends. However, none of them knew how to grapple, so I ended up just judoing everyone.

infidel
4/26/2004 1:13pm,
my friends fear me and think i'm like royce gracie or something even though i've only been doing bjj for like 3 months. i have to twist their arm to get them to wrestle me.... wait.

Guerilla Fists
4/26/2004 1:17pm,
You mean like an Indian burn?

GajusCaesar
4/26/2004 1:50pm,
Sparring while drunk definitely IS a lot of fun, but I've usually wished I hadn't afterwards. . .

And for some reason, putting 12oz gloves on two people that have never boxed or fought at all before and watching them go at it is just about one of the funniest things EVER to watch.

JKDChick
4/26/2004 1:53pm,
Originally posted by WhiteShark
Frankly most of my friends won't even play with me anymore. And if they do they are so outclassed they usually do stupid stuff like pinch me and piss me off.

I've had to ask a couple of dumb-asses not to play fight in my direction anymore. One guy thought it was real funny to sneak up behind me and a kick-boxer friend and yell "gotcha!". The other guy was closer and nearly put the joker's ribs through the roof of his mouth.

HAPKO3
4/26/2004 2:12pm,
I have a couple of friends and a younger brother who I spar with, hard. Especially my kid brother. That kid doesn't fucking know what medium contact is - the second the first punch lands, he tries to take my head off. We match up really well too - he's bigger and stronger, and I have just enough skill on him to make it interesting (in boxing and kickboxing that is, in grappling i own). Needless to say, we've given each other more than a fair share of bruises, black eyes, sore ribs, etc.

Greese
4/26/2004 2:27pm,
Most of my friends train and the ones that don't won't play because they will get smoked.

Budd
4/26/2004 2:39pm,
These days, my friends are divided into two strict categories:

1. Those who also train.

2. Those who don't.

The ones that also train, well, we beat the crap out of each other. The ones that don't almost never bring up anything martial arts related after they get over the initial, "What would you do if I did . . . OUCH!".

Back in college and high school, I'd fight with my friends, but unless they were immensely bigger than me, would usually hold back quite a bit, after accidentally kicking one friend in the face (while wearing shoes and after having a few beers) and tearing the rotator cuff of another (beers again), I eventually just stopped playing in that arena.

SlimJim
4/26/2004 2:45pm,
The only friends I train with are those who also train.

It's great especially when you study different arts. As long as egos are checked at the door, which they usually are, it can be a great crucible within whcih to test your skills.

xero
4/26/2004 7:06pm,
All my friends train and we usually break out into sparring sessions. I find it to be good practice and a whole lot of fun. My weekends are usually spent sparring during the day before I go to train muay thai at night.

FCTKD
4/26/2004 7:58pm,
Yeah I mess around with my friends all the time it usually ends with me doing some sort of elbow lock, or side kimura, even s-bars and occasional RNC. The best was a friend of mine had me in a gullotine (not a good one but was making my face red) It was funny he thought he had me, just waiting for me to tap. I just sat down like I was sitting in an imaginary chair and whack he plowed face first into the ground. I read in some Royce Gracie tutorial of doing that to escape some other standing head locks. I had no significant grappling training at the time, well quite a bit of wrestling in high school.

The_Ghost
4/26/2004 11:08pm,
All my friends train and we usually break out into sparring sessions. I find it to be good practice and a whole lot of fun. My weekends are usually spent sparring during the day before I go to train muay thai at night.

And I'm hoping to join your little circle now man.

Dejavu
4/26/2004 11:43pm,
Training with friends is definitely fun. Lately, though, all my usual friends who spar me don't due to injuries from their respective martial arts, so I have to look around the school looking for people who want to spar. Not such a hard job, since I founded my school's martial arts club. Yes, I'm a martial arts geek. So sue me.

by-the-throat
4/27/2004 2:24am,
My friends and I, most of whom train-I have very few friends who are not involved in MA for some reason-spar pretty hard when we get together, usually under shooto\vale tudo rules unless we specifically want to work on our grappling or standup. We also do a lot of playing around with sticks and training knives, and we all go to the gun range once in awhile.

We also plan on taking up paintball in the near future, but money is tight right now so it's gonna be awhile.