PDA

View Full Version : I study Shaolin-Do

Pages : [1] 2 3

dalmoe
10/29/2012 3:21am,
I just wanted to add my experience in shaolin-do, however limited it may be, to the discussion. I have tried many different arts, including wrestling, muay thai, and bjj, but so far I have been most impressed with shaolin do. I especially like the emphasis it places on balance between the internal and external aspects of the art. There are what may seem to be an over abundance of forms to be memorized and that must stay memorized to progress in the art, but my instructor does a great job of describing the practical applications of each and every move in each and every form. I have found these moves incredibly helpful in the sparring we do every class. The lineage may or may not be fabricated but to me that is not important. What is important to me is the extensive skills, discipline, and health aspects offered by the art. So before you criticize, spend the time to check the art out. Maybe you'll even learn something.

battlefields
10/29/2012 4:45am,
I'm about to criticize the **** out of you, bullshit artist fucking n00b. You're what is known in Australia as a fullashitkunt. Because you're a **** that's full of ****.

You've done wrestling, Muay thai and bjj? Bullshit. Where? Name the fucking school you learnt at in any of those arts. Now.

Wanna know what I think? I'm going to tell you regardless. I think you might have dropped in to one or two of these schools, you wanted a Mr Miyagi to teach you teh deadly crane kick, instead you found somewhere where people actually fight and it scared your ***** arse. Then Shaolin-Do came along with it's promise of mythical legendary techniques passed on through the ages, a school where the GM is totally bad arse, you poor deluded bastard, and you took it hook line and sinker. You're a sucker, a money pit. Think about it.

It is Fake
10/29/2012 7:12am,
What is important to me is the extensive skills, discipline, and health aspects offered by the art. So before you criticize, spend the time to check the art out. Maybe you'll even learn something.I did and I will criticize.

DaTedBear
10/29/2012 8:45am,
@Dalmoe, could you tell us where you study SD? Your instructor's name?

dalmoe
10/30/2012 11:45pm,
I study at the Chinese Shaolin Center in Salt Lake city under Sifu Chris Callado.

dalmoe
10/30/2012 11:56pm,
Thank you for being civil in your analysis. I do agree that many may have a hard time finding the applications in the forms, I find myself having a hard time with that very issue when I first learn a form. But fortunately I have a great instructor wiho after teaching the form goes though every single move in it and explains the real world applications. I personally use many of he moves from the forms in my sparring to great effect. The forms are just there to help you memorize and get used to many of the effective techniques that can feel very awkward without the huge amount of practice that memorizing the forms require.

dalmoe
10/31/2012 12:00am,
I've re-read this, and all I can seem to gather is that everything was made up at some point, therefore Shaolin Do is beyond all forms of criticism. Is that about right?

No its not above criticism, nothing is. I'm just contending that it is a real martial art.

dalmoe
10/31/2012 12:02am,
I did and I will criticize.

May I ask how long you studied it for.

dalmoe
10/31/2012 12:17am,
I studied wrestling in jr. High and Highschool and muay thai and bjj at absolute mma which is regarded as the best mma gym in utah (which still is admittedly not that good). The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all. The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does. The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique. And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were.

Ignorami
10/31/2012 6:56am,
To clarify the rules:

Can I troll dalmoe in newbietown, because this isn't his own thread?

That last post was full of awesome.

PDA
10/31/2012 11:00am,
I studied wrestling in jr. High and Highschool and muay thai and bjj at absolute mma which is regarded as the best mma gym in utah (which still is admittedly not that good). The reason why the mma didn't work out was because everyone at the gym was a sloppy arrogant jerk and I felt it was way too expensive for what I was being taught which wasn't much at all. The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does. The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique. And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were.

Welcome to Bullshido.

I hope to see footage of you at a throwdown soon demonstrating your superior technical Shaolin Do against one of Bullshidos many sloppy MMA douchebags.

It is Fake
10/31/2012 1:47pm,
May I ask how long you studied it for.Nearly as long as you have been alive.

@Blaze....you saying that English is not SKT's first language is pretty lame. You are aware that he knows English well enough to receive a Masters degree from an English speaking university, right? A nicer way of saying this:

Yes, but you forgot the whole "he speaks another language, so it was an error." We will just forget that he has lived here for nearly sixty years.

It is Fake
11/01/2012 12:57am,
I study at the Chinese Shaolin Center in Salt Lake city under Sifu Chris Callado.
Oh wow. You are a West Coast student. That just made this very interesting. Enjoy what you do, but don't think for a second that your limited sparring proves anything. I know for a FACT, that the contact level was forcibly dropped, for beginners, at the CSC schools after a lawsuit and settlement.

Yes, there is Black Belt Sparring once a year. That has been restricted as well.

Diesel_tke
11/01/2012 9:35am,
The reason I went to SD was because it makes you a better technical fighter than mma does.

What do you consider technical?

The largest problem I have with mma is that it is mostly about outmuscleing an opponent instead of focusing on having a better technique.

Then you have not studied BJJ at all. One if the first things I learned in BJJ was that if you are straining(muscleing) then you are doing the technique wrong. How would you propose being able to perform a perfect kimura/figure 4 arm lock/whatever you want to call it, from the guard without focusing on technique(hip placement, knee placement, arm placement, proper torque, ect)? And in an MMA context, doing all of that while defending against punches?

And the school tended to have less self-righteous douchebags who weren't nearly as good as they thought they were

Sounds to me like you showed up and they treated you like the noob that you were, and you got buthurt about it. But when you showed up to SD, they hugged you and nurtured you and that made you feel good, then you ignored the martial arts side of the equation and went all in.

KickPuncher
11/01/2012 10:38am,
Welcome to Bullshido.

I hope to see footage of you at a throwdown soon demonstrating your superior technical Shaolin Do against one of Bullshidos many sloppy MMA douchebags.

This may go against Shaolin-Do trianing, but the easiest way to best anyone in MMA is to have a more tribaly tat or a fauxier hawk. Or outmuscle them.

It is Fake
11/01/2012 10:48am,
DT, the sad thing is, his instructor was NEVER taught to disrespect other arts like his student.

Sounds to me like you showed up and they treated you like the noob that you were, and you got buthurt about it. But when you showed up to SD, they hugged you and nurtured you and that made you feel good, then you ignored the martial arts side of the equation and went all in.I hope not because that means his teacher has taken 5 steps backwards.