PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Study on BJJ Belt Promotions/Grading Rituals

Pages : [1] 2

CKava
10/30/2012 7:35am,
Hello folks,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this, so if it's not I'm sure you'll let me know but since the grappling forum clearly says it is for TECHNIQUE DISCUSSION ONLY I guessed here is the better shot.

I used to lurk around Bullshido a good few years back but been quite a while since I was here.

Anyway, I'm looking for participants to complete a survey I designed on belt promotions/gradings in BJJ. The research is going to be part of a large international research project that is running in my department (Institute of Cognitive & Evolutionary Anthropology) but I'm also planning to share interesting results with the wider BJJ community via www.bjjsurveys.com. I'm using aesopian's gi survey as the kind of model about how to share results.

To complete the survey you just need to go to www.bjjsurveys.com (http://www.bjjsurveys.com) and follow the links. The survey takes about 20 mins to complete and all entries will be entered into a draw to win 20 (about $30) and a copy of Stephan Kesting's newest 'How to Defeat Bigger, Stronger Opponents' DVD (kindly donated by aesopian!).

My optimistic hope is that the website can grow beyond my study and be used as a hub for gathering interesting academic research or general surveys focusing on BJJ. Time will tell if there is enough interest but so far the response has been great. Though if anyone is feeling altruistic enough to post the link to facebook/relevant group its always appreciated.

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer, although bear in mind I can't quite talk about any specific hypothesis we are testing until after all responses are collected.

Appreciate anyone who takes the time to fill out the survey and if you want to contact me directly, aside from posting here in thread, my contact details are also on the survey site.

Cheers,
Chris

Final Plug:
PLEASE TAKE PART IN THE SURVEY- CLICK HERE (www.bjjsurveys.com)

Israfel
10/30/2012 11:54am,
Nah ty

rangerdavy
10/30/2012 12:18pm,
Completed. I was impressed with the depth. Hope your study goes well!

clav
10/30/2012 1:14pm,
Link not working for me...all i get is a black page with null, reload (which brings me to same spot) and clear...

Like Water
10/30/2012 1:16pm,
I'm game for it. But am I the only one who can't get the links to work?

CKava
10/30/2012 2:07pm,
Site it was hosted on apparently went down due to the hurricane. Should be back up now.

Spilt Cake
10/30/2012 2:49pm,
Survey done...keep them coming! Interesting stuff.

sweats
10/30/2012 5:00pm,
Filled it out.

clav
10/30/2012 5:26pm,
Done! Thanks.

goodlun
10/30/2012 6:42pm,
done; very interested in seeing your findings when all is said and done.

CKava
11/01/2012 3:19am,
done; very interested in seeing your findings when all is said and done.
After collection/analysis is in I'll start posting results up on the site. Will advertise/post around when this is happening.

CKava
11/04/2012 8:14am,
Quick update: Now up to 500 responses! The survey is concluding in December just before Christmas so my optimistic goal is to break 1000 before then. If you can post the study on facebook/twitter or just mention it to folks I will be eternally grateful. 500 is already a decent response but better to aim high I think!

Thanks to everyone who filled it out so far!

goodlun
11/04/2012 5:35pm,
If you want to write something up for me to post to my facebook or have something already on facebook for us to share I would be happy to share it for you.

CKava
11/05/2012 3:49am,
Yeah I was trying to think of something for people to post but I'm not great with wording such things how about:

BJJ practitioners needed to participate in on-line survey of BJJ gradings/belt promotions by Oxford University researchers! Please visit www.bjjsurveys.com to complete! Everyone taking part has a chance to win 20 and a copy of Stephan Kesting's newest instructional DVD (and help encourage future research). Thanks for your help/time!

Too corny?

CKava
9/27/2013 6:27am,
Thread Necromancing to let people know that despite being way overdue I'm starting to post the results from this survey: http://www.bjjsurveys.com/blog/2013/9/26/results-demographics

If folks have any particular data they are interested in hearing about drop me a line.

Magpie McGee
9/27/2013 3:23pm,
If folks have any particular data they are interested in hearing about drop me a line.

I think it would be interesting to see the income distribution of the respondents. Did you collect data on that?