PDA

View Full Version : So I'm moving to California

Pages : [1] 2

3moose1
10/18/2012 8:10pm,
From MI. What's around camp Pendleton? Who's in between mi and CALI with a comfortable couch?

goodlun
10/18/2012 8:15pm,
Aww the San Diego area, a few of us are around here.
What's around camp Pendleton?
Everything
more specifically what would you like to know.

dflanmod
10/18/2012 8:54pm,
Pendleton is a little north of san diego propper but barring traffic you're within 30 min drive of anything worth seeing/doing.

3moose1
10/23/2012 9:24am,
most excellent. I'm pretty stoked about this! Plus I might be able to actually get back into training!

Omega Supreme
10/23/2012 9:49am,
There is good group out of Pendleton. Let me know when you get there.

Permalost
10/23/2012 11:57am,
Camp Pendleton is technically in Oceanside, which is a great starting point for heading to either San Diego or LA, so anything you could want is within like an hour. You wanna know anything in particular in SD, PM me if you want. I know the good places to hike, bike or snorkel, and I spent my youth skateboarding around the city and beaches. Or, you could invite us bullies for a beer and probably learn all sorts of good stuff.

Wait, should we do a mini-throwdown in Balboa Park or something? My sparring's only been weapon based recently but I'm sure I could play.

karma2343
10/23/2012 12:34pm,
I live in Vista, the town right next to Oceanside. If you wanna know anything about North County San Diego in particular, feel free to ask.

Be prepared for some delicious Mexican food.

JingMerchant!
10/23/2012 1:28pm,
Good luck Moose!

Live the dream!

goodlun
10/23/2012 5:33pm,
most excellent. I'm pretty stoked about this! Plus I might be able to actually get back into training!

I will tell you what there isn't a lack of Gyms in San Diego County. The hardest part will be trying to pick one. I heard from someone that we have 70 BJJ gyms alone in San Diego county and of course plenty of other styles.

hungryjoe
10/23/2012 7:10pm,
Spent my first three years at Pendleton. Had a blast.

Moosey - get yourself a motorcycle. There's a lot to do and see if you'll get out and about. Where you headed for on base (unit)?

Mr. Machette
10/23/2012 7:43pm,
Go to Tijuana!

All the IRL RBSD experience you can shake an empty bottle of mescal at!

hungryjoe
10/23/2012 8:24pm,
Go to Tijuana!

All the IRL RBSD experience you can shake an empty bottle of mescal at!

Made many trips to TJ, but don't know if the place is even safe anymore. LOL at the IRL RSBD. Memories...

Aside, I've rethought my comment above. Moosie, if you're not already a bike rider, be careful with the learning process. Traffic was hell back then (30yrs ago), but bikes were allowed to pass on the highway. Don't know if that's still the case.

Permalost
10/24/2012 11:24am,
Moosie, if you're not already a bike rider, be careful with the learning process. Traffic was hell back then (30yrs ago), but bikes were allowed to pass on the highway. Don't know if that's still the case.
Traffic's bad at certain times of day, but still way better than in LA. Motorcycles pass between traffic lanes all the time, but I'm not sure if its legal or not. But how would a cop car chase them in gridlock traffic?

A good friend of mine is in a motorcycle club here that's made up of Marine drill sergeants. Might be a good group to speak with.

karma2343
10/25/2012 2:03am,
Its only legal to pass between traffic lanes if traffic is at a complete stop. But then again, its technically illegal to drive over the speed limit here too. A lot of people cut through lanes here whenever they can get away with it.

Also, while Tijuana isn't the safest place, its also not the dangerous hellhole most people make it out to be. I know a lot of people who go there regularly and come back just fine.

Crossing back through the border, though, is definitely its own kind of hell.

goodlun
10/25/2012 2:28am,
Its true TJ isn't all that bad I use to know quite a few people that made that daily commute as they lived on that side and worked and went to school on this side.

Omega Supreme
10/25/2012 10:04am,
BTW This is the place I recommend.

http://www.exceljiujitsu.com/

Corey Bennin is an officer on base, helps the base's pankration team, went toe to toe with Gezere in Pankration. Can't say enough good things about the man.